By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Let's talk about Linux

This thread brought to you by:

Ubuntu - Linux for human beings! Want to try Linux, but frightened by the idea of having to actually know how a computer works? Then Ubuntu is for you!

Moving on.

So I don't know if my computer puking on itself is the fault of Windows or the fault of Dell, but the point is I had Ubuntu loaded on my laptop for a while and the time has come for me to switch over full-time. Running the latest games may not be an option on this bad boy, but right now WINE works fine for the stuff I want to play. And hell, that's what me and the wife are going to be building a desktop for anyway.

So, regardless. Linux seems pretty cool.

I.... I don't really know a lot about it. I'm the kind of guy who stumbles through a new OS like a newborn learning how to walk without a walker. I only just today, for the first time, mounted all of my Windows files and pulled them over into my Linux partition! But I still like it!

One thing I like about Ubuntu is that functionally it seems a lot more solid now than it did even a year ago, which is pretty surprising.

Anyway, uh. Let's talk about Linux!

Any other users out there? Anybody have a favorite distro?

Around the Network

I was thinking of getting Linux for the PS3. Where do you get it?

I use Linux on my old gaming rig. Ubuntu 9.10.

Ubuntu is a nice way to start. The primary issue with it however is that as a linux platform it is very limiting. It's more windows than Linux.

Try something like Gentoo if you really want to learn what linux is all about.

@dsister:

I don't know the first thing about Linux on PS3, unfortunately.

@BW_JP:

Tell me about this Gentoo.

Around the Network

I run Gentoo: "We produce Gentoo Linux, a special flavor of Linux that can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or need. Extreme performance, configurability and a top-notch user and developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience."
@dsister44: Can either get a Linux Distro from Unbuntu (from their website) for PS3 or YellowDog (their website).

I run Gentoo: "We produce Gentoo Linux, a special flavor of Linux that can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or need. Extreme performance, configurability and a top-notch user and developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience."  

@dsister44: Can either get a Linux Distro from Ubuntu (from their website) for PS3 or YellowDog (their website).

I'm also very interested in Linux for PS3. I need me some native Matroska support, among other stuff.

As far as PC's go, I'm great with Windows, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I expect a PS3 Linux discussion to commence.

I tend to run Ubuntu when I use it. I suppose if I didn't have family that wanted to play MP PC games I would just drop Windows altogether.

But sometimes I just want to hit my head against the wall. Considering that I run my computers on a home network it is a requirement that I have an antivirus running and I don't want to learn the back end of a new OS. I always gag at some of the mentality of some of the Linux fanbois out there.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

hmm Im actually planning on moving over to the Windows 7 crowd soon, but if that dosn't work out Ill give Linux a look

Ubuntu woks pretty nicely as a Windows replacement - like BW_JP said, it's often referred to as Windows built on top of a Linux core (though it's more than that, of course - the Package Manager alone!).

Gentoo sounds pretty cool, but also intimidating to me, a person who doesn't know the first damn thing about how computers actually work.