By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People that claim that Mario Kart Wii doesn't involve skill...

tuscaniman said:
Any game that rewards last place drivers over and over with ridiculous powerups is a game that takes no skill. You can talk about 9999 vr or whatever you want but when I can sit my controller on the couch for the first 10 seconds of the races so I can turn into a ridiculously overpowered bomb that turns on a dime at 10x the speed of everyone racing and win proves it takes no skill. If you want a racing game that takes skill go play a racing simulator. Or at that play the original Mario Kart, not this uber casual uber easy version.

LOL you must be terrible at this game.Im glad the old mario kart didnt have online to show people destroying you always (as they probably do now) ,otherwise you say it takes no skill.You sit in your controller, get a ridiculous overpowered bomb that turns you in a dime at 10X(actually not)and still, lose 100 percent of time against a moderately decent player. Is it overpowered if you always lose?think about it.

Around the Network

To say that Mario Kart doesn't require skill is stupid, because obviously there are people who perform well consistently and people who suck. That said, there is a definite ceiling to how good you can be, at which point luck becomes the determining factor. If you know the tracks well and don't play stupidly, you are going to do pretty well most of the time, but to imply that it is all skill and no luck seems kind of strange to me.

tuscaniman said:
Any game that rewards last place drivers over and over with ridiculous powerups is a game that takes no skill. You can talk about 9999 vr or whatever you want but when I can sit my controller on the couch for the first 10 seconds of the races so I can turn into a ridiculously overpowered bomb that turns on a dime at 10x the speed of everyone racing and win proves it takes no skill. If you want a racing game that takes skill go play a racing simulator. Or at that play the original Mario Kart, not this uber casual uber easy version.

If you sit with your controller on the couch for the first 10 seconds, you are not going to win.  I wouldn't win, you wouldn't win, RolStoppable wouldn't win,  Richard Petty wouldn't win, and not even Speed Racer would win.  The ridiculously overpowered bomb known as the Bullet Bill is not much of a help at all.  The worst part of that item is when it ends right in the middle of a turn.  Anyhow, if you get a Bullet Bill, the odds are that you are so far behind that your aren't going to compete for 6th, and you definitely aren't going to come in first. 

As far as the game being uber casual and uber easy, that's a crock.  I constantly hear people complain about the difficult AI in the one player game.  The 150 CC is all about luck when trying to come in first I hear.  Why is it that everytime that I race it for fun, I win, and usually get a three star ranking?  Must be luck.  Also, when you play online, you are usually put in a group with racers that have a similar VR to you, which means that it will be competitve.  This is why you probably usually see people in the 4500 range.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Mario Kart takes LUCK whether you like it or not. Put 8 players with 9999 VR points in one race. Yes they are all proven to have, "SKILL", but the one who gets the "ITEM" thank to their "LUCK" will win. The game requires both, but luck is more dominant than skill.

Ari_Gold said:
Mario Kart takes LUCK whether you like it or not. Put 8 players with 9999 VR points in one race. Yes they are all proven to have, "SKILL", but the one who gets the "ITEM" thank to their "LUCK" will win. The game requires both, but luck is more dominant than skill.

Interesting Ari.  What is your win loss/record against Rol?  I heard him mention it once on here.  I'm not going to say what it is in order to save you from some embarassment.  Was luck more dominant than skill in your races against him?  You must be a terribly unlucky guy.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Kart racing games normally just rely on who gets the best power-ups (IE on luck)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Bah! I could beat you all. Smother you. My MKWii skills are unparalleled.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Ari_Gold said:

I agree completely with your story, but I completely disagree with your conclusion.

If you pit 8 nearly equally skilled players into a match, item boxes may often be the determining factor. That doesn't mean that luck is dominant - far from it. If you put differently skilled players, luck won't change anything. Thus, luck cannot always change the outcome. Does that mean that luck is dominant? Far from it.

Luck is something that occasionally changes the outcome, so you always have to give it your best. This prevents there being maps where one player is greatly superior and doesn't have to give his or her best.

even among 9999ers theres a difference in SKILL that will turn the odds of winning ON average to the highest skilled players.In an average of 10 races, if all are 9900-9999(it has happened sometimes), luck will indeed help here and then.But if one of those 9999s wins 4 or 5 times(and all others none or 1).Well ,there you go.Luck couldnt stop that player from proving that among his "peers" ,he or she is the most skilled.Or..blessed by the gods of luck if you preffer to look at it that way. A luck that will show every time that player takes the control on mario kart.

intro94 said:
even among 9999ers theres a difference in SKILL that will turn the odds of winning ON average to the highest skilled players.In an average of 10 races, if all are 9900-9999(it has happened sometimes), luck will indeed help here and then.But if one of those 9999s wins 4 or 5 times(and all others none or 1).Well ,there you go.Luck couldnt stop that player from proving that among his "peers" ,he or she is the most skilled.Or..blessed by the gods of luck if you preffer to look at it that way. A luck that will show every time that player takes the control on mario kart.

Exactly.  When I used to play in the Mario Kart league, the finishing positions were usually very similar.  I am good, but there are a couple of people on the site that are definitely better and I'm not going to call it luck.