By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What would you do with a 48-core computer?

running PS3 and Xbox 360 emulator at the same.

or simulate the most realistic virtual woman to date.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

..Or solving to Pi to the last digit.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Play Tetris, of course!

Or I might use it for computing.

Run Vmware ESX 4.

Stefl1504 said:
I would divide by 0

OH MY GOD, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

Run Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Crysis 2, all 3 STALKER games, Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2 all at the same time.

I would run my world simulation with much more detailed settings. Not in full settings. I doubt there will be any computer in my lifetime that could run it in full settings.

Realistically, nobody posting in this thread could make good use of a 48-core computer. Few games use even four cores, and most use only 2 at most. And the ones that modern rigs have trouble running (like Crysis) would get bottlenecked at the video card level long before hitting the CPU.

The most you could do with a 48-core PC if you're not running a major server or some sort of CPU-hungry scientific modeling apps is to have it run Folding@Home.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
Realistically, nobody posting in this thread could make good use of a 48-core computer. Few games use even four cores, and most use only 2 at most. And the ones that modern rigs have trouble running (like Crysis) would get bottlenecked at the video card level long before hitting the CPU.

The most you could do with a 48-core PC if you're not running a major server or some sort of CPU-hungry scientific modeling apps is to have it run Folding@Home.

I mentioned using programs like After Effects.

:P

Everything I could