By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony patents degradable demos (they degrade!)

superchunk said:
That is a interesting yet potentially bad idea. Most users won't understand the degrading effect and might just attribute it to a bad quality game. A demo is supposed to be a true representation of what to expect if you buy the game; thus I'd expect the game to get worse as you play on.

Its better to have a super polished single level, than a buggy beta or slowly degrading experience.

It would be pretty bad move if the changes happened as you play. Going by the patent pictures, it looks like they're using the amount of times you played, which is a much better idea. I expect it to work more along the lines of "The first 3 times you play, then 4th time- this doesn't work the same. 8th time, this other thing goes bad." 

There are also demo's that restrict you to a certain amount time you can play it. The recent Just Cause 2 demo is an open world game but gives you 20 minutes I think, then it's back to the start menu and you have to start all over again. 

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Dont forget tho to start off with a demo thats has everything a full game does (to later degrade), that means you'll actually be downloading the full game. So instead of downloading a 1-2gb demo, you'll now have to download +10gb or however big the game is. I'd rather not waste my bandwidth on that. It can be done for small PSN games tho but shouldnt be for disc-based games.

superchunk said:

Its better to have a super polished single level, than a buggy beta or slowly degrading experience.

This. If that level is sufficiently good then I'll want to buy the rest of the game. If not, then I won't. No other method would make me more likely to buy.

--

Any demo which contains the full game then degrades it is pretty soon going to get cracks that remove the effect. Then a pirate wouldn't even have to download the game before cracking it.

i like this idea to be honest

itd let me see more of a game than normal demos most likely

and yeh those wierdos who sit in mp demos, you can always count on em even if you dl a demo 2 years after release

its just spooky

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

a Demon's Souls demo with that would be awesome lol

Around the Network

That's retarded. What's wrong with how we do things now?

Chairman-Mao said:
That's retarded. What's wrong with how we do things now?

10 of my friends just play warhawk and fat princess. They don't own the game they just continuously play the demo. The only difference between the demo and real thing is the trophies unlock and not that many people are bothered about trophies.

This makes me remember when a copy of windows get's the error "you were a victim of software falsification" and downgrades in features as the time passes by...

While this might be a great idea it may lead many consumers to try to bypass that.

this is a great idea :)

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

How does this differ to the FADE copy protection that Codemasters used in a lot of their games?