By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony patents degradable demos (they degrade!)

Game publishers are always looking for new ways to provide that "first free hit" as if they were nerdy drug dealers, and a fresh patent from Sony appears to have stumbled upon an interesting way of doing it. The filing details a "degradable demo" that provides users with a full game, and then slowly strips away features until the player is forced to buy it. 

The detailed software lets a developer set when the game downgrades. For instance, a powerful sword could become weaker and weaker over a set number of hours, levels might disappear from the game, or the sound and graphics can weaken in quality. Fiendish. 

Sounds positively evil, but it would likely have a brilliant effect. Thus the psychological war between publisher and consumer continues. 

Sony Patents Degradable Video Game Demos [Siliconera]

WoW!! good plan in my opinion!! haha how bout u? wat do u think bout this?

Around the Network

Good idea! They don't want people to just sit in the MP demos forever. They want people to purchase games!

Wow.... thats mean

I think it's a bad idea. It will just end up with players getting frustrated. For me demos work better if I have a positive experience with them. Also you would have to make it clear that to players that this only happens in the demo and is not part of the actual gameplay.

Those pictures show what happens to me and mine after 8 pints and a kebab !

Around the Network

"My Stick is shrinking!"

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

That is a interesting yet potentially bad idea. Most users won't understand the degrading effect and might just attribute it to a bad quality game. A demo is supposed to be a true representation of what to expect if you buy the game; thus I'd expect the game to get worse as you play on.

Its better to have a super polished single level, than a buggy beta or slowly degrading experience.

Reminds me of the GTA 2 demo, where you explode after 6 minutes.

As long as they make it clear why the negative changes are happening, this idea is just genius. Evil... but Genius!!!

4 ≈ One

I don't mind the idea of the weapons or levels decreasing over time.....but the sound/graphics?? that's weird hopefully they won't consider that...