By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Ubisoft DRM already cracked

Destroyer_of_knights said:
And this is why PC games devs are moving to consoles as well.

Not only that, but the more they try to prevent piracy, the more stupid DRM affects legit buyers, it's a catch 22 and for this reason I've left PC gaming and am now purely a console gamer...don't wanna put up with the DRM BS, and with console I don't have to.

There are so many reasons why PC game development is moving towards consoles. It's a shame that PC publishers shitting where they eat has to be one of them.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

On one hand, they make it less and less appealing to buy PC games.
They then complain how PC games don't sell.

Confirmed cracked in less than 24 hours:

Now that the news has spread like wildfire, Ubisoft is finally issuing a response and it is predictably vague. So vague that I am inclined to believe their statement doesn’t hold much water or truth. Is it possible some aspect of the game is missing? Sure. Is it likely? No, not given how Ubisoft designed Silent Hunter V, meaning it’s not an MMO and it’s world doesn’t exist on a 3rd-party server. If Ubisoft really wants to defeat piracy, may I suggest that your next game be called Silent Hunter Online? Problem solved.

Also know that Ubisoft basically admitted this was possible only one week ago in an interview with PC Gamer, Ubisoft was asked what would happen in the future if Ubisoft took the servers down; how would players be able to continue playing the game?

Response: “If for some reason, and this is not in the plan, but if for some reason all of the servers someday go away, then we can release a patch so that the game can be played in single-player without an online connection. But that’s if all of the servers are gone.”

Translation: If a patch can be made in the future…a patch can be made right now, by hackers.

Here’s Ubisoft’s “please believe us” statement:

“You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked. Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete.”

Ubisoft made serious waves when they announced a new DRM policy for all new PC titles, beginning with Silent Hunter 5 and Assassin’s Creed 2. The new scheme UbiSoft hoped would thwart piracy requires all legitimate users to have a permanent Internet connection that continuously authenticates a copy of the game. Additionally, save game files are now stored on UbiSoft servers. This new system has angered long-time fans who are rightfully pissed off that this new procedure will undermine the integrity of their game, i.e., lose Internet connection and you can’t play the game, or Ubisoft servers take a hike and you’re left holding your dick.

Well, Ubisoft’s master plan has collapsed in under 24-hours, as infamous cracker group Skid-Row has tackled the new DRM and rendered it useless, meaning the only people now suffering with this ridiculous DRM are legitimate owners.

Source

The source also includes the documentation from the cracking program and it;s definitely legit. All I've got to say is LOL. epic fail ubisoft and rightly so. As

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/04/ubisofts-notorious-u.html notes, this would be a pain in the ass for anyone who wants to play the single-player on a laptop and for any soldiers who wanted to play it. I'm totally against piracy in almost all cases, but in this case I say go pirates!

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it