By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Activision and the Wii

famousringo said:
I hate Activision for Science Papa. Not because it's a bad game or it's casual, because I have no idea what it plays like. I hate it for being a shameless attempt to capitalize on Cooking Mama, which is somebody else's star IP. That's the kind of lame copycat behavior I expect from tiny publishers struggling to survive in the budget market, not the largest third party publisher in the world.

Majesco's just a little guy, make your own damn IP and stop trying to take his lunch money.

Yeah that was just really embarrassing.  Did you see Majesco's response to that?

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7239&mp=1

As has been noted in the news section -- Activision's upcoming releases on Wii are going to be few for the foreseeable future. 

But that got me thinking about what had Activision done so far this generation. I was amazed to see 85 titles listed: 

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?page=1&results=50&name=&console=Wii&keyword=&publisher=14&genre=&order=Hits&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

What is more amazing is that almost all the sales have come from three mulitplatform series. If you remove Guitar Hero (III, World Tour, Aerosmith), Star Wars (Force Unleashed, Lego), and Call of Duty (3, WoW) -- Activision has not had a game sell 1M copies on the Wii.

Most of its releases where the Wii is the only platform from this generation (or only platform) have not fared well at sales. Barbie as the Island Princess with 430k and Dancing with the Stars: We Dance with 310k appear to be the only games that exceeded a quarter of a million units sold.

As an example of its futility, Activision has only moved 130k copies of iCarly.  (For those who don't know, iCarly is a widely watched TV show on Nickelodeon cable in the US about a girl who creates her own webshow and had a special draw 11.16M viewers in January -- making it the most watched show of the night as it beat all competition on cable and broadcast). 

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014323.html?categoryid=1275&cs=1  

If you can't sell a game based on something as popular, you have problems.  And Activision has problems as it does not understand the Wii. See Pirates Booty and Big League Sports and Birthday Bash Science Papa and Block Party and Cruise Ship Vacation Games -- and you have to come away with that assessment.  

So many this is a good thing. No more generic mini-game collections passing for "exclusives."  Maybe Activision will give gamers what they want. But then again, Activision has not been Activision since it changed its name to Mediagenic. 

Mike from Morgantown

an innacurate translation and look, a thread. He actually said there was a lot coming AND AT LEAST ONE very important title for us. Not, YAY NO SUPOORTZORS. geez.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
famousringo said:
I hate Activision for Science Papa. Not because it's a bad game or it's casual, because I have no idea what it plays like. I hate it for being a shameless attempt to capitalize on Cooking Mama, which is somebody else's star IP. That's the kind of lame copycat behavior I expect from tiny publishers struggling to survive in the budget market, not the largest third party publisher in the world.

Majesco's just a little guy, make your own damn IP and stop trying to take his lunch money.

Yeah that was just really embarrassing.  Did you see Majesco's response to that?

Yeah, something about Cooking Mama being glad that she's out of that abusive relationship and back to being a strong, independant woman or some such. The kind of cheeky humour you have to show when a huge corporation with a much bigger legal team than yours starts stealing your ideas.

These publishers need to learn to respect the expanded audience. You can't just throw a smiling mascot on the cover and 'party' in the title and expect free money to roll in the door. There's some kind of alchemy to making hit games like Carnival Games, Cooking Mama, and Just Dance. Majesco themselves found out with their massively failed Go Play series.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Activision is the new EA. Booo!!

intro94 said:
mike_intellivision said:

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7239&mp=1

As has been noted in the news section -- Activision's upcoming releases on Wii are going to be few for the foreseeable future. 

But that got me thinking about what had Activision done so far this generation. I was amazed to see 85 titles listed: 

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?page=1&results=50&name=&console=Wii&keyword=&publisher=14&genre=&order=Hits&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

What is more amazing is that almost all the sales have come from three mulitplatform series. If you remove Guitar Hero (III, World Tour, Aerosmith), Star Wars (Force Unleashed, Lego), and Call of Duty (3, WoW) -- Activision has not had a game sell 1M copies on the Wii.

Most of its releases where the Wii is the only platform from this generation (or only platform) have not fared well at sales. Barbie as the Island Princess with 430k and Dancing with the Stars: We Dance with 310k appear to be the only games that exceeded a quarter of a million units sold.

As an example of its futility, Activision has only moved 130k copies of iCarly.  (For those who don't know, iCarly is a widely watched TV show on Nickelodeon cable in the US about a girl who creates her own webshow and had a special draw 11.16M viewers in January -- making it the most watched show of the night as it beat all competition on cable and broadcast). 

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014323.html?categoryid=1275&cs=1  

If you can't sell a game based on something as popular, you have problems.  And Activision has problems as it does not understand the Wii. See Pirates Booty and Big League Sports and Birthday Bash Science Papa and Block Party and Cruise Ship Vacation Games -- and you have to come away with that assessment.  

So many this is a good thing. No more generic mini-game collections passing for "exclusives."  Maybe Activision will give gamers what they want. But then again, Activision has not been Activision since it changed its name to Mediagenic. 

Mike from Morgantown

an innacurate translation and look, a thread. He actually said there was a lot coming AND AT LEAST ONE very important title for us. Not, YAY NO SUPOORTZORS. geez.

The question is: do you believe them?

They've made 85 games for the Wii so far.  How many did you like?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=Wii&keyword=&publisher=14&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

Sounds like the developer who cried wolf to me.  Even if they accidentally made the world's greatest game, many people aren't going to notice after their last 85 Wii games.  Wii gave them 85 chances!

Around the Network

@rubang

out of 85 how many you like . . .

how many games has nintendo dropped on wii, and i like what 4 or 5 of em?

same balance as activision to me

quality is in the eye of the beholder, and all wii companies have lemons

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Pyramid Head said:
@rubang

out of 85 how many you like . . .

how many games has nintendo dropped on wii, and i like what 4 or 5 of em?

same balance as activision to me

quality is in the eye of the beholder, and all wii companies have lemons

That doesn't even begin to normalize things though, given the public at large sees Nintendo's releases as far, far higher quality on average.

If want to try and move the conversation from subjectivity, do something a comprehensive metacritic comparison between Activision's and Nintendo's Wii lineups. ;)

well i was just sayin you know

to most people activision only released cod and gh

its like a record label, you may like one band on a label, maybe not the million cds the record company throws out

yeh they make some shit, but i cant hate on the guys who brought the best shooter to the wii, i am sorry.

maybe they release soem stupid games, i also dont buy those games, so who cares?

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

85 games mostly met their profit requirements, each requiring like 40 k or something. THe world now knows acti from COD and GH, and well, we have and most likely, keep getting those. So whats the deal?

@intro

some people i guess wish the nintendo seal of quality meant something i guess. it doesnt fellas.

but yeh im not sure why people hate games they dont buy or play, or no anyone who buys or plays.

if a tree falls in the woods etc