By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Sony developer lives up to the Polyphony standard

Twistedpixel said:
Dgc1808 said:
No SONY Dev takes as much time to put out one damn game as PD... seriously...

If Insomniac releases a game this year that makes 5 full PS3 games and a PSN game. In this same time all PD has done is 1 PSP title and a demo.

Even if we consider that PD has 110 Employees while Insomniac has 195, the difference is still huge since Insomniac has put out more than 3 times the content.

The sales per employee per year are still higher than Insomniac. GT5 will outsell every single Insomniac game released thus far including Resistance 3 so thats more like double the productivity.

I'm sorry but i'll never agree with using sales as a measure of quality.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Twistedpixel said:
Dgc1808 said:
No SONY Dev takes as much time to put out one damn game as PD... seriously...

If Insomniac releases a game this year that makes 5 full PS3 games and a PSN game. In this same time all PD has done is 1 PSP title and a demo.

Even if we consider that PD has 110 Employees while Insomniac has 195, the difference is still huge since Insomniac has put out more than 3 times the content.

The sales per employee per year are still higher than Insomniac. GT5 will outsell every single Insomniac game released thus far including Resistance 3 so thats more like double the productivity.

I'm sorry but i'll never agree with using sales as a measure of quality.

More hours played of GT5 per hour of employee effort than Insomniac. Sales aren't a measure of quality, but the measure of effectiveness in the market and value for money in purchasing.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
Cougarman said:
Twistedpixel said:
Cougarman said:
naughty dog has consistently released great games in the last 3 genarations at a faster rate than Polyphony, i really think they are better than Polyphony for sony

Quantity sure, but quality no. Their games are full of compromises which Polyphony would never make.

Uncharted 2 disagrees with you

Uncharted 2 is full of compromises.

• Scale of the gameplay is limited.
  • no MSAA at 1280/1080 which makes aliasing evident.
  • No backtracking.
  • No split screen.
  • Gameplay isn't as good 2nd time through due to reliance on cinematic presentation.
  • Reliance on automatic actions, in GT5 you control the car not the AI.

Naughty Dog and Uncharted 2 are therefore inferior to Polyphony and GT5.

... WTF??

4 ≈ One

GreyianStorm said:
Twistedpixel said:
Cougarman said:
naughty dog has consistently released great games in the last 3 genarations at a faster rate than Polyphony, i really think they are better than Polyphony for sony

Quantity sure, but quality no. Their games are full of compromises which Polyphony would never make.

And there are compromises in Polyphony's games that Naughty Dog wouldn't make. *gasp* GT5 won't even have a story!

You can't compare games in different genres, especially not a racing game with a cinematic game.

So what? Most stories in games, Uncharted 2 wouldn't even make for a decent movie. Im going beyond comparing the gameplay, its also about the compromises and technical abilities. Naughty Dog <<<<< Polyphony Digital in overall technical excellence delivered.

Twistedpixel said:
Cougarman said:
Twistedpixel said:
Cougarman said:

• No backtracking.
  • No split screen.
  • Gameplay isn't as good 2nd time through due to reliance on cinematic presentation.

Scale of the gameplay is also limited in GT5 also. You can't even get out of your car. You can do that in GTA4, and that is one of the most overrated games ever apparently!

Gran Turismo games don't have split screen campaign, only "arcade".

You can't backtrack in Gran Turismo, unless you mean driving the wrong way around the track!

Gran Turismo 5 has a fairly dull storyline, so it's not as great the first time. There's no surprise or excitement.

There are so few AI characters on screen at any time in Gran Turismo, you don't need to deal with dozens/hundreds of characters.

Look, Polyphony Digital are great developers (I love their games), but they aren't the greatest developers ever. They develop in (probably) the easiest genre to focus on technical achievements.

Around the Network
GreyianStorm said:
Twistedpixel said:

• No backtracking.
  • No split screen.

Scale of the gameplay is also limited in GT5 also. You can't even get out of your car. You can do that in GTA4, and that is one of the most overrated games ever apparently!

Gran Turismo games don't have split screen campaign, only "arcade".

You can't backtrack in Gran Turismo, unless you mean driving the wrong way around the track!

Gran Turismo 5 has a fairly dull storyline, so it's not as great the first time. There's no surprise or excitement.

There are so few AI characters on screen at any time in Gran Turismo, you don't need to deal with dozens/hundreds of characters.

Look, Polyphony Digital are great developers (I love their games), but they aren't the greatest developers ever. They develop in (probably) the easiest genre to focus on technical achievements.

GT5 has more locations and unique objects than Uncharted 2. It also involves more player input. What do you do in Uncharted 2 which requires any skilled input aside from twitching your right thumb? If you miss you get to shoot again whereas in GT5 you'd crash or go off the track.

Split screen is still split screen, driving backwards is still driving backwards. Stories are over-rated and only good for one playthrough. Uncharted 2 makes a great rental for $5.

Uncharted 2 has 15 smart AI on the track at once. I don't remember than many in Uncharted 2 up close.

Look Polyphony Digital are the best developers on the PS3. Other developers are good or great but they aren't Polyphony.

Twistedpixel said:
Cougarman said:
Twistedpixel said:
Cougarman said:

• No backtracking.
  • No split screen.

We have played 2 uncharted, 2 Resistance, 9000 Rachet,  2 Motorstorm, One Killzone maybe 2 soon, LBP, Infamous while we wait for the perfect game.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Twistedpixel said:

• No backtracking.
  • No split screen.

We have played 2 uncharted, 2 Resistance, 9000 Rachet,  2 Motorstorm, One Killzone maybe 2 soon, LBP, Infamous while we wait for the perfect game.

Exactly.

One third of PS3 owners will buy it, another third will borrow it from the first third and the last third can go to hell for not liking such an awesome game.

GreyianStorm already said what i wanted to say, i will only add, if GT5 is so realistic i expect all the Tayota cars to be missing brakes for total realism.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

I agree with the OP. I still play GT3 and love every second of it.