By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Former DICE CEO: 'Wii is a virus.... not a games game machine'

grapeape said:
iLLmaticV3 said:
No More Heroes. Nuff said.

Bad example..that just supports his theory...the new one has been out what 4 weeks?  Its already dropped out of the top 100.  Last week it sold less than 5,000 copies...yet Just Dance which isnt really much of a game at all is still at the top...kinda supports the "its a toy" argument.  Everyone I know has a Wii, my in laws, my parents, siblings, etc...but Im the only one who actually has games beyond Mario Kart that anyone would concider "core" games, im the only one who doesnt have Carnival Games or Wii Fit...games will sell on the Wii but to actually make money developers are going to have to focus on games for people who dont play games, like it or not we "core" gamers will have to be second or even 3rd fiddle...if we are lucky, we will still be thrown a bone once in a while.

I wasn't making an example, I simply said the name No More Heroes.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Around the Network
grapeape said:
iLLmaticV3 said:

Bad example..that just supports his theory...the new one has been out what 4 weeks?  Its already dropped out of the top 100.  Last week it sold less than 5,000 copies...yet Just Dance which isnt really much of a game at all is still at the top...kinda supports the "its a toy" argument.  Everyone I know has a Wii, my in laws, my parents, siblings, etc...but Im the only one who actually has games beyond Mario Kart that anyone would concider "core" games, im the only one who doesnt have Carnival Games or Wii Fit...games will sell on the Wii but to actually make money developers are going to have to focus on games for people who dont play games, like it or not we "core" gamers will have to be second or even 3rd fiddle...if we are lucky, we will still be thrown a bone once in a while.

Well said, I agree with grapeape.  That was the point the Former DICE CEO was trying to convey in his argument.

its funny how i cant seem to think of one game dice did . . .

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

This thread is a lot calmer than I expected.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=102381

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
sjhillsa said:
grapeape said:
iLLmaticV3 said:

Well said, I agree with grapeape.  That was the point the Former DICE CEO was trying to convey in his argument.

The point doesn't hold up considering that the Wii has the fastest selling gamer's game to reach 10m on a single platform.

What this means is the lack of gamer's games sales doesn't come from a lack of people willing to buy such games, it comes from the lack of said games. In other words: Games that don't exist, can't sell.

Maybe the only people who understand Nintendo's vision of the Wii is really Nintendo with 9 of the(over 10m) top selling games available for the console.  We know Mario and Zelda sell, and party games too like Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii Sports etc.. but what else????  It will be interesting to see how well the new Metroid game sells over the coming year.  I don't judge by the number of sales for a console or game sales, only by the quality of the software 'available'.  At the moment for me, the PS3 & X360 have more to offer, and I believe for the developers too.  Maybe in the end, the third party developers don't really know what sells on the Wii, or maybe they can't utilise the capabilities of the Motion controllers to there potential.  Either way I agree with grapeape, as I was once a Wii owner who couldn't find much or anything to play on it.