By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Huge 8.8-magnitude quake hits Chile

Over 150 now. This is bad. Stay safe down there if you are in Chile. First Haiti now this, the crust is active in the Americas...

Around the Network

holy shit 8.8 is massive!

214 dead

tsunami warning lifted for Hawai

mM
AngelosL said:
Heard about it this morning.I think we have people from Chile in here and I hope everyone is OK...

Man it was the worst night and morning of my whole life. My girlfriend is from Chili, she now lives in Canada with me, her mother and brothers/ sister are also in Canada. But she was in Santiago de Chili for vacation, I received a call during the night from my parents, they were worried, but I didnt even knew yet. They told me what was going on, I was destruct. I mean its an 8.8 eartquake, there is going to be way more than 76 dead. The images was awful, street tear appart by gap of 3 feets, a lot of bridges collapse. But at around 10 AM I received a call, her and her family was at their farms in the most southern part of Chili (Punta Arenas), safe. But damn, it was the worst hours of my whole life. Probably cried a gallon of tears. My simpathy to others that live of have family in Chili.

Icyedge said:
AngelosL said:
Heard about it this morning.I think we have people from Chile in here and I hope everyone is OK...

Man it was the worst night and morning of my whole life. My girlfriend is from Chili, she now lives in Canada with me, her mother and brothers/ sister are also in Canada. But she was in Santiago de Chili for vacation, I received a call during the night from my parents, they were worried, but I didnt even knew yet. They told me what was going on, I was destruct. I mean its an 8.8 eartquake, there is going to be way more than 76 dead. The images was awful, street tear appart by gap of 3 feets, a lot of bridges collapse. But at around 10 AM I received a call, her and her family was at their farms in the most southern part of Chili (Punta Arenas), safe. But damn, it was the worst hours of my whole life. Probably cried a gallon of tears. My simpathy to others that live of have family in Chili.

What matters is that she and her family are safe!So dont even think about it man, it's all over now.I had a similar experience from some fires in 2007,So I can understand how you felt.Just Give her a big hug when she returns :)

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
AngelosL said:

I think in Punta Arenas the earthquake wasn't too strong... if it even reached that far.

The strange thing is that eartquakes usually don't go too far, but this time, a huge area of the country was affected. AFAIK the areas where the quake was strongest are from Valparaiso to Puerto Montt, that means cities more than a thousand kilometers away.

Punta Arenas is way more southern than Puerto Montt, I'll say about another thousand kilometers. But I understand your concern, it was quite the movement.

And we're called Chile, not Chili :P

As I told you, we have a rich history of quakes, I mean, STRONG ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Chile

But this fucker takes the cake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Valdivia_earthquake

9.5, the strongest eartquake recorded.

The world is gonna end very soon from whats happening as of late.

Damn this sucks. For the people of Chile and me.

Now where is Seraphic

I hope it was not just a reason to leave the site -.-

chubaca said:
Icyedge said:
AngelosL said:

I think in Punta Arenas the earthquake wasn't too strong... if it even reached that far.

The strange thing is that eartquakes usually don't go too far, but this time, a huge area of the country was affected. AFAIK the areas where the quake was strongest are from Valparaiso to Puerto Montt, that means cities more than a thousand kilometers away.

Punta Arenas is way more southern than Puerto Montt, I'll say about another thousand kilometers. But I understand your concern, it was quite the movement.

And we're called Chile, not Chili :P

I know but im used to write it in french (chili). She was in santiago the day before, I thought she was still there. Im so glad they decided to go the farm. They didnt felt it there. Between, my spanish is not bad at all ;). 3 Years with a family in law that speaks spanish all the time makes you learn.