By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton: "we are in the first 25% to 30% of this generation"

kowenicki said:
25% to 30% lol... good one Jack.... this is the best yet.

the 360 came out in Nov 2005. 4.5 years ago... now lets see....

so that means this gen will last between 13.5 (30% through) and 18 years (25% through)

or

until 2018 or 2023 !!!!????

snigger.

Natal is the new generation of the 360. They cannot make the hardware any better without charging 500$ again, and it will _not_ be better than the ps3, why split the userbase? They will not. It's stupid. You're thinking too narrowly. Look more broadly.

The 360 has it's foothole, its the lead HD console. In order to surpass the PS3 technically, it would need about 300$ more in hd, + R&D + paying sony for disc format.. why do that?

The 360 will further and further fall behind the ps3 in graphics tech, but will approach a more casual broader audience. Natal is really the start of the new 360 generation.

Think about it. Look at PC games? God of war 3 and uncharted 2 and killzone 2 are.. better than any game that came out for the pc except for crysis. Other games are just higher resolutions but the texture work is no where near as good.  

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
BW_JP said:
Kasz216 said:
As for the generation lasting another 5 years... I wonder if it will.

The biggest problem facing all three consoles is the lack of ram. Without using more ram to do things differently you gotta wonder if the game companies will bring the needed level of innovation to keep up the consoles another 5 years.

More ram would allow more gameplay innovations with AI and such... then again that feels like it's hardly been utilized on the HD consoles. AI on HD consoles doesn't really seem much more complex then Wii titles... and just doesn't seem anymore complex in most games.

have you played Killzone2? there's some pretty impressive AI there. in any case, I have only developed for the 360, I don't know about the PS3, but the ram is not such an issue. I would assume the ps3 has 10 folds the amount of resources available over the ps3 though due to being able to stream AI to an SPU instrad of using ram. 

The ps3 has things right honestly, blu-ray, big hard drives by design, free online services, hardware that is complex--but vastly superior to its competitiors.. It will last another 5 years. for sure. Anything better than the ps3 will suffer the same fate the ps3 started out with.

Combine this with built in support for 3D gaming and you've got a console that could launch in a year-and still give high end PCs a run for their money.

add in a motion controller that is vastly superior to the wiimote, but use the same "design sense" and you gain multi-plats in japan, you take casual games and make them multi-plat, suddenly the PS3 looks like a much more attractive choice to the general consumer because they are not getting their wiis for nintendo games anyway, they are getting them for the exercise tools like wii-fit and wii sports resort. If the PS3 can do all this, and it will, better, with HD graphics and free online with 3d gaming and 3d blu-ray movie watching.. why buy a wii?

The 360 is no baby either, It's very powerful and I don't think it needs any changes it sits in the position technology wise where it wants to be. its friendly, open to developers, supports the most robust online service and has the biggest american install base for real games (not wii fit stuff)

Graphics tech is too expensive. the cell is a phenomenal piece of gaming hardware. I wish all systems were like this.  

I'm just going on about what i've heard multiplatform Sega Developers complain about when people ask them what they think about the generation lasting 10 years.

As for the rest of your post... it honsetly sounds like wishful thinking more then anything else.

Keep in mind, in the US 42% of people who own 360s and PS3's own Wiis.  To claim the base isn't also on the Wii and may actually be larger if exploited is silly.

not true. but I work in the games industry as a tools developer. I know for a fact that as a programmer, I've heard absolutely nothing about new consoles and I'm developing for games that are coming out in 2 years, so.. ?

BW_JP said:
Kasz216 said:
BW_JP said:
Kasz216 said:
As for the generation lasting another 5 years... I wonder if it will.

The biggest problem facing all three consoles is the lack of ram. Without using more ram to do things differently you gotta wonder if the game companies will bring the needed level of innovation to keep up the consoles another 5 years.

More ram would allow more gameplay innovations with AI and such... then again that feels like it's hardly been utilized on the HD consoles. AI on HD consoles doesn't really seem much more complex then Wii titles... and just doesn't seem anymore complex in most games.

have you played Killzone2? there's some pretty impressive AI there. in any case, I have only developed for the 360, I don't know about the PS3, but the ram is not such an issue. I would assume the ps3 has 10 folds the amount of resources available over the ps3 though due to being able to stream AI to an SPU instrad of using ram. 

The ps3 has things right honestly, blu-ray, big hard drives by design, free online services, hardware that is complex--but vastly superior to its competitiors.. It will last another 5 years. for sure. Anything better than the ps3 will suffer the same fate the ps3 started out with.

Combine this with built in support for 3D gaming and you've got a console that could launch in a year-and still give high end PCs a run for their money.

add in a motion controller that is vastly superior to the wiimote, but use the same "design sense" and you gain multi-plats in japan, you take casual games and make them multi-plat, suddenly the PS3 looks like a much more attractive choice to the general consumer because they are not getting their wiis for nintendo games anyway, they are getting them for the exercise tools like wii-fit and wii sports resort. If the PS3 can do all this, and it will, better, with HD graphics and free online with 3d gaming and 3d blu-ray movie watching.. why buy a wii?

The 360 is no baby either, It's very powerful and I don't think it needs any changes it sits in the position technology wise where it wants to be. its friendly, open to developers, supports the most robust online service and has the biggest american install base for real games (not wii fit stuff)

Graphics tech is too expensive. the cell is a phenomenal piece of gaming hardware. I wish all systems were like this.  

I'm just going on about what i've heard multiplatform Sega Developers complain about when people ask them what they think about the generation lasting 10 years.

As for the rest of your post... it honsetly sounds like wishful thinking more then anything else.

Keep in mind, in the US 42% of people who own 360s and PS3's own Wiis.  To claim the base isn't also on the Wii and may actually be larger if exploited is silly.

not true. but I work in the games industry as a tools developer. I know for a fact that as a programmer, I've heard absolutely nothing about new consoles and I'm developing for games that are coming out in 2 years, so.. ?

A) I have no reason to believe you.

B) Even believe you... it doesn't actually mean anything when it comes to sustaining your customer base... which is the issue. 

The things your talking about PS3 having right... are the exact things consumers have had no interest in and what held the system back. 

Additionally, look at the Ipod.  The Ipod is a downright crappy MP3 player compaired to many more superior Ipods... how's Ipods market share doing?

Being the innovator gives you HUGE advantages.  You don't hear the mainstream media talking about the PS3 arc and when it does come out... it will likely be seen as a copycat in all honesty... and will be playing catchup in terms of recognition and in terms of software.

I mean think about it.  The 360 was doing EVERYTHING right compaired to the PS2 when it came out... yet did that blow up past the PS2?

No, then you really expect the PS3 to blow past and steal sales from a system selling faster then the PS2?

i dont know if 25-30% is an accurate statement

I think this gen will be shorter than that (say ALL knew consoles will be out by 2014 at the latest), but i guess only time will tell

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

kowenicki said:

so that means this gen will last between 13.5 (30% through) and 18 years (25% through)

or

snigger.

lol this guy man I tell ya,

think of it as his way of judging the quality of the playstation 3 of this generation................. more than hardcore division lmao.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
BW_JP said:
kowenicki said:

or

snigger.

Natal is the new generation of the 360. They cannot make the hardware any better without charging 500$ again, and it will _not_ be better than the ps3, why split the userbase? They will not. It's stupid. You're thinking too narrowly. Look more broadly.

The 360 has it's foothole, its the lead HD console. In order to surpass the PS3 technically, it would need about 300$ more in hd, + R&D + paying sony for disc format.. why do that?

The 360 will further and further fall behind the ps3 in graphics tech, but will approach a more casual broader audience. Natal is really the start of the new 360 generation.

Think about it. Look at PC games? God of war 3 and uncharted 2 and killzone 2 are.. better than any game that came out for the pc except for crysis. Other games are just higher resolutions but the texture work is no where near as good.  

so the 10 yr plan that many of us found hard to swallow is now a 12 or 17 yr plan... and you expect me to swallow that too?

im sorry but you are kidding yourself.  and jack is on something.

it's not that:

what was the processor in the PS2 less than 400 Mhz, the first xbox less than 800 Mhz, Game Cube less than 500 Mhz,

the xbox360 and the PS3 are both multi-core with each core at 3.2 Ghz, there is quite the big gap between the system's of last generation than this generation.

look at new netbook's they run the N270 Core on some of the net book's that's ( 2 ) 1.6 GHz core's inside that N270, 

but yet there's netbook's that can run Fallout 3!

so would you say these game system's are more like Entertsinment PC's

or Like strictly a Game console?

that is what seperates this generation from the last the first XBOX started this along with Sony it's just now more inline toward the progression of an entetertainment PC for your living room with stat's that remain for the most part static enough that create's less of a headache when unlike PC's less dynamic hardware that you have to choose which of the level of hardware do you want to target with your software.

the core processor's on the machine's save for sme slight modification's will stay the same so you know what the hardware spec's your targeting less of a guess.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

LOL at Tretton!
This gen started in 2005, we're in 2010.

So 5 years = 25% (according to Mr. Sony)
This gen would last 20 years total???? LOL

Funnt guy...
I want NEXT GENERATION NOW. Not in 15 years.

My Gaming Setup

This generation should last for along time. Even if Nintendo decided to come out with a Wii 2, I think MSFT and Sony should just stay out with the HD consoles and not worry about releasing new ones yet.

Neoraf said:
LOL at Tretton!

Funnt guy...

he was talking about the PS3 being 3 years old in the market that's 30%

the xbox would be 40%

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Neoraf said:
LOL at Tretton!

Funnt guy...

so next year there is gonna be a xbox720 with 3 halos,gta5,gears4,bioshock3 and cost 299?

not.even if it releases next year until it becomes cheap and mainstream and have alot of games its gonna take 2years.

so thats why the xbox is turning into a wii and the ps3 just now is 300.