By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Something I don't understand about Assassin's Creed 2 DRM complaints

So I'm basing this on assumptions but I'm betting they're valid assumptions so that's alright.

I'm assuming on the box it says permanent internet connection required and I know on the Steam page it says that so why are people so upset about this?

If it says it right on the box it isn't like you're being duped and if you're buying a PC game there's no excuse for not reading the system requirements so why are people so upset over this?

Is it just because the consoles don't have to have a permanent internet connection?  To that, I say meh?

Yeah, losing 10-15 minutes of progress can be annoying but since the game has frequent checkpoints that shouldn't be the biggest problem.  I don't know, to me, this just seems like getting angry over WoW requiring a permanent internet connection or buying a PC game and then realizing that you don't meet the minimum requirements.

-edit-

Note-- I'm not trying to argue for the DRM, I don't actually care, I just don't understand why everyone is so angry about it when they're upfront about it.  If they were trying to hide it or be deceptive about it I would understand the nerd rage, but they say in pretty plain English permanent internet connection required.

I would even understand if this news came about a week before the game released, but it came out well before a month before release.  Did this news come out with the system requirements?

Around the Network

well, it means you can't buy it if you intend to play on a laptop while you travel. Obviously you don't have to be forced to buy such a product, but when they build a fanbase and make a sequel for them, it does sorta piss you off even if you aren't "entitled" to it. Finally, a lot of people still have dialup depending on where they live in the country.

There are a lot of reasons to not like the DRM policy, however no one is forcing you to buy the product either.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

So if you were held up at gunpoint, it wouldn't really matter as long as the robber was polite and upfront about it? Nobody cares about them being upfront; it's the inconvenience and intrusiveness of such a measure. Plus what if you want to play it on a laptop away from home? There are plenty of scenarios that could end up being much more of hassle then ''losing 10-15 minutes of progress''.

Which, by the way, is not the minor thing you make it out to be. It's a pain in the ass even if it happens one, it wrenches you out the game world and forces you to be re-immersed (a big issue in a game that is trying to create such a strong atmosphere and tell an affecting story).

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

nordlead said:
well, it means you can't buy it if you intend to play on a laptop while you travel. Obviously you don't have to be forced to buy such a product, but when they build a fanbase and make a sequel for them, it does sorta piss you off even if you aren't "entitled" to it. Finally, a lot of people still have dialup depending on where they live in the country.

There are a lot of reasons to not like the DRM policy, however no one is forcing you to buy the product either.

I understand not liking the DRM and agree, it can easily, but like you said, if you don't like it don't buy it.

You can make almost every single one of those arguments with WoW (even the fanbase one since it started out as Warcraft) but people are ready to accept always having an internet connection for an MMO.  Is it because AC2 isn't multiplayer that people are angrier about it?

I don't know if it's because I just didn't like AC so I don't care or I'm not a PC gamers so I don't care, but since they're upfront about it, I just don't see why all the outrage over the DRM.

nordlead said:

I will add that PC also gets the game later ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
So if you were held up at gunpoint, it wouldn't really matter as long as the robber was polite and upfront about it? Nobody care's about them being upfront; it's the inconvenience and intrusiveness of such a measure. Plus what if you want to play it on a laptop away from home? There are plenty of scenarios that could end up being much more of hassle then ''losing 10-15 minutes of progress''.

Which, by the way, is not the minor thing you make it out to be. It's a pain in the ass even if it happens one, it wrenches you out the game world and forces you to be re-immersed (a big issue in a game that is trying to create such a strong atmosphere and tell an affecting story).

You're comparing this DRM to being held at gunpoint?

Yeah, don't be offended that I didn't even bother finishing reading your post.

twesterm said:
nordlead said:

I understand not liking the DRM and agree, it can easily, but like you said, if you don't like it don't buy it.

You can make almost every single one of those arguments with WoW (even the fanbase one since it started out as Warcraft) but people are ready to accept always having an internet connection for an MMO.  Is it because AC2 isn't multiplayer that people are angrier about it?

I don't know if it's because I just didn't like AC so I don't care or I'm not a PC gamers so I don't care, but since they're upfront about it, I just don't see why all the outrage over the DRM.

I would say it is because it is a single player game. I'm hardly a PC gamer (I love my Civ and SimCity though) and I would hate DRM that forced me to stay connected online for either of those games. I used to play on my laptop all the time. It would also mean that when I moved I couldn't play for 2 months. It just seems like they are really crapping on the legitimate fans of the series. Due to that DRM I wouldn't buy it on PC if that was my only option even though I really liked AC.

Obviously though, the people that complain the loudest are typically the people who pirate the game anyways.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Because when it comes to games people like to take offense as if they had already bought the game. People cannot simply say 'not for me' without launching into an epic rant about how Ubisoft sucks.

Steam has an offline mode. This doesn't.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

twesterm said:
blaydcor said:
So if you were held up at gunpoint, it wouldn't really matter as long as the robber was polite and upfront about it? Nobody care's about them being upfront; it's the inconvenience and intrusiveness of such a measure. Plus what if you want to play it on a laptop away from home? There are plenty of scenarios that could end up being much more of hassle then ''losing 10-15 minutes of progress''.

You're comparing this DRM to being held at gunpoint?

Yeah, don't be offended that I didn't even bother finishing reading your post.

Twesterm's trademark brilliant "I'll be prickly and dismissive about everything that isn't in line with my perspective" stance.

I'm simply saying that a bad situation's negativity is not removed simply because you're aware of it beforehand. I'm not comparing it to gunpoint. I could have said 'It's like being told you're going to get punched right before you get in a fight' or 'It's like someone shouting "Look Out!" half a second before a snowball slams into your face".

The analogy is not important. My point is that nobody cares about Ubi being upfront. Nobody is pointing at this and saying "Oh shit! Look how deceptive they are!" People are mad about the DRM itself---which, again, is intrusive and unnecessary. If you work up the ambition to finish reading the few sentences above (tough to read things that disagree with you, I know) you'll see some of my reasoning.

And comparing it to WoW is one of the more idiotic things I've heard someone do recently. People obviously do not mind WoW having to be constantly online because IT IS AN ONLINE GAME. Of COURSE the demographic for online games isn't going to mind having to be constantly online. 

Assassin's Creed, however, is largely NOT an online game, and there are many people who do not care for MMO's or constant online connections who will be playing it.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.