By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Up! Week of February 20.

Was to be expected, Wii's lineup in Japan is pretty barebones until at least May, when we know that SMG 2 will be launched. There's nothing even remotely relevant until then, biggest upcoming game is probably EA Sports Active: More Workouts.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Hyruken said:
Lets look at it from an analytical view.

The PS3's new 250GB sku boosted sales by about 5k. Which is not too bad really, it is around 20% of last weeks numbers.

However the question for PS3 in Japan is how will they sustain those numbers? FFXIII has now come and gone. And now the new console is out too.
Looking at the horizon of things to come there is not much coming to it in the way of system sellers apart from the beast that is GT5. The problem with that is we have no idea when that will come out. The previously expected March now looks unlikely seeing as we are but a week away from that.

So looking at it from an analysis point of view i think this will be the biggest number of PS3's sold in Japan for sometime.

Well, Yakuza 4 is coming. Don't forget Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid : Rising, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Demon's Souls 2. And i remember news about SCEJ working hard (focused) to develop new titles for PS3. The year has only began. I believe some surprise games are hidden.

trestres said:
Was to be expected, Wii's lineup in Japan is pretty barebones until at least May, when we know that SMG 2 will be launched. There's nothing even remotely relevant until then, biggest upcoming game is probably EA Sports Active: More Workouts.

Reginleiv could break out, you never know.

Really, it could....

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Already released 2 weeks ago :p.

Next week will be the last interesting week for the Wii until May. The everyone's recommended selection is launching as well as that Battle Colosseum game which appears in the top 20 preorder charts at Nº 20 position. Will debut with sales of 25k~ last big Wii game in months to come. Big, who am I kidding, decent.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:

Next week will be the last interesting week for the Wii until May. The everyone's recommended selection is launching as well as that Battle Colosseum game which appears in the top 20 preorder charts at Nº 20 position. Will debut with sales of 25k~ last big Wii game in months to come. Big, who am I kidding, decent.

I know. I'm saying it could break out. I'm not saying it's likely, but if it were to break out it would look more like something like Just Dance, not something that has massive sales in the first weeks.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

PS3 very good. awesome games

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

trestres said:

Ugh, it's awful.  They really, really should bump Galaxy 2 to Golden Week imo.

rccsetzer said:
Hyruken said:

The PS3's new 250GB sku boosted sales by about 5k. Which is not too bad really, it is around 20% of last weeks numbers.

However the question for PS3 in Japan is how will they sustain those numbers? FFXIII has now come and gone. And now the new console is out too.
Looking at the horizon of things to come there is not much coming to it in the way of system sellers apart from the beast that is GT5. The problem with that is we have no idea when that will come out. The previously expected March now looks unlikely seeing as we are but a week away from that.

So looking at it from an analysis point of view i think this will be the biggest number of PS3's sold in Japan for sometime.

Well, Yakuza 4 is coming. Don't forget Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid : Rising, Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Demon's Souls 2. And i remember news about SCEJ working hard (focused) to develop new titles for PS3. The year has only began. I believe some surprise games are hidden.

Castlevania's nothing to crow about, the series does horrible in Japan.  FFXIV and DS2 will be minor hits at best too, both most likely under 200k.

Also, it's sounding like Versus may not make this year going by the (no) E3 comments from Nomura.  I wouldn't rule out a December surprise like FFXIII, but it's still iffy.

PS3's biggest games this year (imo) will be GT5, Yakuza 4, MGS Rising, Hokuto Musou, WKC2, WE2011 and (if it makes it) Versus.  I think we may also get a new (Team Symphonia) Tales game too.

rccsetzer said:
Hyruken said:

With all due respect, would those people waiting to buy a console for the Yakuza series maybe have bought one for when number 3 came out? If they were that big a fan of the series why would the skip Y3 and go straight to Y4?

MGS Rising will not be out this year in my opinion, and if it is then it will be at the end of the year, Versus won't even be at E3 so no chance it coming out this year, Demon Souls one has just come out, doubt they made a sequel in a few months....

PS3 seems to have concentrated a lot on the early part of the year in my opinion. In a couple of months i think we will see it fall back down to numbers we saw last year, around the 10k-15k mark. Where as the Wii will have some huge titles coming out i.e Super mario galaxy 2, new Zelda and so on. The question is will those games move hardware for Nintendo.

I think the PS3 will actually rise throughout the year, or at least keep it at this pace or similar. The PS3 wasn't that great for many people when it was first released. It was quite expensive, as much as a gaming computer. And in certain countries, the price is even higher.

Lately though, the PS3 has received a very reasonable price cut, a new design, and bigger HD, as well as the wave of new games and supports from 3rd party. The PS3 momentum is increasing, and this is what I think will causes the hardware to move over the other 2 consoles.

360 has the possibility of Natal. Wii has core Nintendo titles and possible party games megahit.