By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Capcom decided to Wii-make Okami

leo-j said:
Okami will still be a disaster, if it couldnt sell well on a 120 million+ install base, what makes you guys think it wil sell well on a 20million(by then) install base?

how can you wish that an original, and excellent game like okami bombs again? thats so not kool 

Around the Network
Nintendownsmii said:
Because its got buzz now unlike before. And maybe JUST MAYBE Zack and Wiki is selling well enough for capcom to think that quality yet off the beatten path titles do well on the Wii.

Zack & Wiki selling well?

At its current rate, it will be a definite flop. 

Well Montana if thats the case then maybe they're subscribing to the 'throw enough crap at a fan and something is bound to stick.' Besides w/o knowing production values its hard to quanify a flop. And according to some devs the cost to port is only 10-15% of the orriginal production cost. I'm sure even the 'flop' numbers of Zack and Wiki would be profitable on the investment.

As far as the buzz, there is a lot more word of mouth about how good okami is now than when it was readily available on retail shelves.

Nice to see Leo-J and Legend 11 trying to seed the thread with anti-hype sentiments. You would think a last gen port would be the least threatening title for a console to get, especially with all the great titles the 360 and PS3 are getting, but I guess that's not the case.

Though in all fairness to Leo-J and Legend11, I'm so sure Capcom will cut out half the content and replace it watered down kiddy filler to better suit the Wii's demographic and control scheme. I bet the graphics will be even worse on the Wii than they were on the PS2 because of just how weak the Wii is. Clearly this game will be terrible and no one should buy it.

Onimusha, I thought you were going to be nice to the other kids.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

TO legend11 and leo-j:

"One of the major ones (and certainly not the only one), as we saw it, was where Okami arrived in the PS2 lifecycle. Having done the analysis in the past of in which years new IP performs best (and worst), it’s not surprising that it’s not later in the hardware lifecycle, where the active consumers tend to be more price and brand sensitive."

It's right there in the OP. Okami came out in the middle of the 7th gen transition. A new IP on the 6ht gen was unlike to sell well at that point. That's also why the Ace Attorney games were ported to the DS before they were localized here. They wouldn't have sold as well just on the GBA, despite the DS playing them anyway.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

MontanaHatchet said:
You all better buy it.

That being said, remember this?

Clover: "We can't port it to the Wii, there's not enough buttons!"

I more than fully intend to. I currently own the PS2 version, but I've had difficulty getting interested in playing my PS2 (I've never liked the Playstation controller... ever!). Since they announced the Wii version, I've had full intentions to sell my PS2 and get the Wii version, which will hopefully have a little extra content, improved graphics, and, of course, Wii controls that have always been the obvious best choice for a game like Okami (hello, painting!).

SW-5120-1900-6153

MontanaHatchet said:

What ever do you mean? Now now Montana, don't single me out here, I'm hardly the only person taking issue with the unfounded naysaying.

MontanaHatchet said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
So much for "Sony's answer to Zelda." The franchise is coming to Nintendo!

Sony's answer to Zelda?

Lol!

It's almost too bad it wasn't developed or published by Sony, or else you might've had a point.

No, but it was exclusive for the Playstation 2.

So?

Was Grand Theft Auto 3 Sony's answer to Zelda because it was exclusive to the PS2? 

No. Grand Theft Auto 3 is not like Zelda. Okami is like Zelda. Sony did not make it, but it was exclusive for the Playstation 2. It was the Playstation 2's answer for the Wii's Zelda, but now that Okami is coming to the Wii, it is no longer the Playstation 2's answer for the Wii's Zelda. Specific?