By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most HD Game Resolutions Not Even 720p Let Alone 1080p

leo-j said:
@lord

Its from HP, its a computer monitor,19"

1440x 900(is 480p?)

They usually dont fool people cost me 250 buks.

I have an HD tv thats 720p dam I love playing that thing at night especially with fps, they looks so real!

That's a 900p monitor, not 480p (and also widescreen, just slightly narrower than 16:9). What made you think it's 480p?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Borkachev said:
@lord

Its from HP, its a computer monitor,19"

1440x 900(is 480p?)

They usually dont fool people cost me 250 buks.

480p is 640 x 480. Yours is a little better than 720p.

I don't know if they've made 480p computer monitors since the 80s...

BTW, 640x480 is 480p fullscreen. 480p can also be widescreen (typically between 720x480 and 853x480). 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

dam I had no clue is was that easy to know lol

thats my computers monitor, than wtf? its more high def than my tv???

mM
Fuzzmosis said:
Soriku, stop peeing in Legend's Cheerios.

Now that's awesome.

leo-j said:

It should be. The reason why videos tend to look so bad (if you've ever say, downloaded your favorite TV show, as I sure haven't) on your monitor is because of the resolution difference. TV's are typically very low res in comparison.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
So what are you trying to say Soriku, that games that are less than 720P suck? Are you a graphics whore? If your answer to those two questions is "no" then what's the deal with this thread? Aren't you a Wii fan? Are you going to be bashing all the games on that system because they don't even reach the resolution that your bashing the other systems on, or are you being a hypocrite?

Stop trolling and being an idiot.  This thread is legitimate in that it points out all of the hype and advertising that the systems have put out regarding HD is completely overexaggerated.  Sony and to a lesser degree MS have hyped out the whole HD superiority to death and review sites have listened to them accordingly by complaining when games don't meet their resolution expectations (i.e. even some places complain about SMG not being "HD").  

Resolution doesn't equal best graphics possible, most people agree on that but this thread isn't complaining about it, its saying that the games and systems are not what they are advertising or implying they are at. 

@darconi

Well it will be mandatory to change to HD soon, there wont be SD signals anymore just HD... they said it in a tv commercial I saw today.

mM
leo-j said:

Welcome to the '90s!!!   You know why PC gamers have all been laughing when console fanboys boast about awesome 720p and what not resolutions?  They've had HD capability for over a decade.  Most monitors bigger than 17 inches will have as good resolutions as some of the new fancy TVs.  

leo-j said:
@darconi

Well it will be mandatory to change to HD soon, there wont be SD signals anymore just HD... they said it in a tv commercial I saw today.

Either you looked at it wrong, or ther commercial was put together wrong. It's the switch from analog to digital, not SD to HD. Shows can still be 480i if they want, just the signals will last better. 

leo-j said:
@darconi

No, you are falling into a big misconception among the HD crowd. In 2009 they are changing the TV signals to be DIGITAL so they can free up signal spectrum.  The analog signals now take up a lot more of the bandwidth spectrum than digital does and its hindering companies from delivering more services or channels to your tv.  

Digital does not mean HD.  There are a lot of ways to still watch digital signals without having to buy a new HD tv (i.e. converter boxes).  Plus, a lot of the more modern SDTV can process digital signals already.  Granted, its much easier to have a HDTV for the digital signals but its not required.