By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor - Wii2 specs leaked / Blu-Ray enabled / 1080p support / Q3 2010

Exclusive: Wii 2 specs leaked, Blu-ray enabled and 1080p support?

We've just received some exclusive news and specs on the Wii 2 via Logic-Sunrise.com) (though a Nintendo of France marketing employee). The leaked specs denote the Wii 2 will get a Blu-ray drive (mainly to stop piracy), but will also support 1080P for games as well as movies. The new system is due out during the third quarter of next year and there will be the option to trade in old Wii's!

More details below (translated from French):

This is a nice exclusive we have here at MaxConsole courtesy of Artik from www.Logic-sunrise.com on the Wii 2. The actual information is said to have been leaked from an internal source of the marketing Nintendo France Service. Unlucky for them, this kind of information should stay internal, but that's not our philosophy.

- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.
- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.
- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.
- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.
- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.

Moreover, Nintendo wants to make a worlwide annoucement, only one month before release date. Huge publicity and Viral Marketing will be utilized to create the Buzz. Official pictures are not yet available, and more specs will be released in due course.

Why do we believe it at all ?

* Artik from Logic-Sunrise.com has regularly provided news to MaxConsole and has a lot of 'insider' contacts.

* Nintendo has suggested that it's time they embraced high definition technology for the Wii and Blu-ray has firmly established itself. So a Wii 2 with Blu-ray support does make sense.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=37744

What do you guys think?

I reckon the BS that breaks the rumour is the supposed trade in scheme, why would any company do this, Nintendo's business is to make money, why would they take a hit with this stupid trade in scheme like this, unless of course it's a gamestop thing, but that it's self has nothing todo with Nintendo.

As for the rest of the specs, it's reasonable to expect that seeing as it'll be the standard next gen, and the hardware will be cheap enough.

Around the Network

I hope its true!! It would make gaming interesting again.

This is old, and already denied.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Yawn... I thought we went through this phase? Nintendo using BluRay? Not a hope in hell.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

This is pretty cool.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

i don't really think they would have an official trade in policy. I've seen un-official trade in programs but never an official one. They have no need for millions of used wii systems. Maybe it's a way to transfer your wiiware and virtual consoles games to the new console (yeah right)

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I thought nintendo was using holgraphic medium storage capacity next gen?... /sarcasm

"Like you know"

Maybe this is the reason for the Wii shortage?

"This is old, and already denied."

When were these specs ever denied, if i may ask?

Iwata and Fils-Aime (or however you spell the friggen name) only said that Nintendo would not update the system just for HD, it would need something else to push it over the edge.

This signature is lacking in beef.

Nintendo confirmed HD ages ago, but Bluray is unlikely. Nintendo never uses some one elses disk format even their Dual Layered Wii disks are formatted specially from Nintendo. If they did do BluRay I would be extatic and my PS3 would be getting traded in almost immediatly, however I doubt that is the case, sadly that means I'm stuck with my PS3 till another console offers BluRay support.

As for trading in, I would love that feature. Obviously it would be a scheme to transfer all of your download data to a new platform. However I would have to trade the console in early because I am getting Nintendo's next console day one and no trade in is going to make me miss my launch date gaming. Every generation my favorite day is the first day openning up that box and playing my new system.

In the end all these features would be great, I would love them so much. But these specs are probubly false. Nintendo is going HD but Nintendo has always said their consoles are gaming systems not computers or multimedia systems. So for Nintendo to support BluRay movies they would be breaking from there strategy. But 1080p is pretty much a given.

These could be legit what the specs fail to shed light on is what kind of controller we will be using. Also a Christmas 2010 release would be a year shorter then Nintendo's five year life cycle so that is doubtful. I bet Michael Patcher will be all over this and claim WiiHD is coming at this E3 just as he's said for the last two years!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer