By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible For GOD of War 3 To Sell 3M Before 2011 Begins? I Think So!

Of course its possible. How about making a tough prediction haha.

Around the Network

if uncharted 2 can sell 3 million with in 3 months then god of war will definitely sell more than 3 million and even way more before 2011.

Hyruken said:
It is possible for sure.

I would be very surprised if it sold 1m first week. The first two combined have not reached anywhere near that number in its 1st week.

I think a huge problem if you will is the franchise is not liked in Japan. The last one selling just 40k there in its lifetime. 17k in first week there. Even if it increases those numbers by 400% it still wont be 100k in the first week.

The majority of its sales will obviously come from US so it is a question on how much people there want it. The second sold 500k in its 1st week there. But total sales for the second one were down a lot over the first one.

I think GOW really is a franchise some people think is bigger then it actually is. The last one did not even make it to 3m with well over 120m consoles to sell to. It does not have the worldwide interest that you claim, really only appealing to US and slightly in some places in europe. The last one sold 1.9m in US but only 600k in europe.

The GOW collection might drum up some interest but as others have mentioned elsewhere in other threads the franchise is not huge, far from it.

I think first week it will sell 60k in Japan. 550k in US and 250k in europe bringing 1st week to around 860k. Roughly the same as Uncharted 2.

Then following week will drop 50% such is the way it normally is making 2nd week total 430k, and total sales 1.29m. And then about another 400k over the next month bringing sales to around 1.69m in 6 weeks. Then it will go into the dead zone for awhile, and get new price deals and what not adding another 500k over the next 3 months. Making a new total of 2.29m. So then it has about 4 months or so until the holidays.

So i think it should make 3m by the end of the year but it really depends on its opening week i think and then what happens after that. Everyone thought the same with Killzone 2 and it still nearly a million away from 3m.

The question is, has GOW3 become another game that Vgchartz community has hyped up but in reality does not reflect the true level of interest for it beyond these boards?

Killzone 2 wasn't the type everyone was waiting for..especially to blame the less FPS userbase fans on PS3. God of War 3 is the game with greater userbase(America to a larger extent)unlike Killzone 2. Thus Killzone 2 has to be kept out from relating to. I see 750-800K alone in America, 350K in Europe and 60K in JApan. 1.2 mn is on the cards. And should pick up with good legs.

Some people have bold predictions.

But, I have to agree with you on this.

BHR-3 said:
binary solo said:
It seems your reputation for uncanny predictions precedes you. Hardly anyone willing to contradict your predicition, and I'm not about to start.

ha ha im just getin warmed up i got some threads that should ruffle some feathers coming up

yeah that sux i wonder if i should just tell others to make the threads maybe it'll get more people to post that they disagree

If we see any "new" members making off the wall predictions we'll know it's your alt account, so there'll be no getting around us that way either.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Easily.

1.8 million in US
1.5 million in Others
0.2 million in Japan

= 3.5 million at the end of 2010.

3 million by the end of this year? I don't think it'll be a challenge for God of War 3. I mean, look at Uncharted 2. It's a newer IP than God of War is and it's sold over 3 million already. God of War 3 will easily sell over 3 million because it has a pretty big fan base. One of the main reasons why God of War 2 sold less than God of War 1 is because you couldn't play God of War 2 on the older Playstation 2s, I think because of the different coding on the DVD. I had to buy a PS3 to play God of War 2 with backwards compatibility. If God of War 3 is anywhere near as graphics intensive and story driven Uncharted 2, which I know it is =P, then it'll easily sell over 3 million by the end of this year. Don't even use the whole Uncharted 2 is a shooter argument, I know shooters are more popular, but seriously, I just think that there are too many shooters already and that God of War 3 is an answer to all of those shooters. Sony has upped the marketing scheme for their first party title, so I'd be surprised if it didn't sell over 3 million before the year is out. You have the holiday season to give it boosts as well with bundles and special deals.

Blood, Sex and Violence...It is also a well known franchise.
I think God of War III will be able to reach 3 million by the end of 2010.

At some point, something must have come from nothing...

...nothing can come from nothing...

GameAnalyser said:
Hyruken said:
It is possible for sure.

I would be very surprised if it sold 1m first week. The first two combined have not reached anywhere near that number in its 1st week.

I think a huge problem if you will is the franchise is not liked in Japan. The last one selling just 40k there in its lifetime. 17k in first week there. Even if it increases those numbers by 400% it still wont be 100k in the first week.

The majority of its sales will obviously come from US so it is a question on how much people there want it. The second sold 500k in its 1st week there. But total sales for the second one were down a lot over the first one.

I think GOW really is a franchise some people think is bigger then it actually is. The last one did not even make it to 3m with well over 120m consoles to sell to. It does not have the worldwide interest that you claim, really only appealing to US and slightly in some places in europe. The last one sold 1.9m in US but only 600k in europe.

The GOW collection might drum up some interest but as others have mentioned elsewhere in other threads the franchise is not huge, far from it.

I think first week it will sell 60k in Japan. 550k in US and 250k in europe bringing 1st week to around 860k. Roughly the same as Uncharted 2.

Then following week will drop 50% such is the way it normally is making 2nd week total 430k, and total sales 1.29m. And then about another 400k over the next month bringing sales to around 1.69m in 6 weeks. Then it will go into the dead zone for awhile, and get new price deals and what not adding another 500k over the next 3 months. Making a new total of 2.29m. So then it has about 4 months or so until the holidays.

So i think it should make 3m by the end of the year but it really depends on its opening week i think and then what happens after that. Everyone thought the same with Killzone 2 and it still nearly a million away from 3m.

The question is, has GOW3 become another game that Vgchartz community has hyped up but in reality does not reflect the true level of interest for it beyond these boards?

Killzone 2 wasn't the type everyone was waiting for..especially to blame the less FPS userbase fans on PS3. God of War 3 is the game with greater userbase(America to a larger extent)unlike Killzone 2. Thus Killzone 2 has to be kept out from relating to. I see 750-800K alone in America, 350K in Europe and 60K in JApan. 1.2 mn is on the cards. And should pick up with good legs.

It is a good point but i think those people who played GOW1&2 most likely already have a PS3. So the bump in hardware won't be as big.

Have to remember PS3 came out in nov 2006, that is a longtime ago now. Would those people who liked GOW series really not have been interested in any of the other PS3 games that they held off for this one?

I think we will probably see as i mentioned similar numbers to Drakes Fortune 2. FPS games for some reaon tend to do well, especially high profile ones. Killzone 2 was definatly a high profile one.

Yes.

I think it will do better than Uncharted 2.