By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THE OFFICIAL WII RPG THREAD

nintendo_fanboy said:
Soriku said:
Some new and old info about FRotM:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=29662#comments

- exploration RPG (dungeon crawler)
- ruins involved
- game will be shown on Nov. 22nd, event will be held on Nov. 24th, official site will open Nov. 26th
- teaser site here

Is it confirmed that it's a dungeon crawler? That makes my interest in this game fade away...

Uh, so you do know that Tales of Symphonia is a dungeon crawler right? Just thought I would check....

Around the Network
naznatips said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
Soriku said:

- ruins involved
- game will be shown on Nov. 22nd, event will be held on Nov. 24th, official site will open Nov. 26th
- teaser site here

Is it confirmed that it's a dungeon crawler? That makes my interest in this game fade away...

Uh, so you do know that Tales of Symphonia is a dungeon crawler right? Just thought I would check....

One of us must have the wrong definition for dungeon crawler... And because the definition I have makes sense, I think you are that one.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

nintendo_fanboy said:
naznatips said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
Soriku said:

- ruins involved
- teaser site here

One of us must have the wrong definition for dungeon crawler... And because the definition I have makes sense, I think you are that one.

A dungeon crawler (or dungeon bash) is a specific title that focuses on contained areas where the player proceeds through a dungeon collecting treasure, usually culminating in a boss battle.

Most RPGs are dungeon crawlers.  Including Tales, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc. 

I don't think you are right Naznatips. If you were, it would absolutely make no sense to use this term because almost every game would be a Dungeon Crawler. In my opinion, a dungeon crawler is a RPG that that focuses COMPLETELY on contained areas where the player proceeds through a dungeon collecting treasure, usually culminating in a boss battle.

As I said, Children of Mana seems to be a good example for my definition, you do almost nothing else than proceeding through dungeons.

All RPGs are dungeon crawlers by the same extent that all video games are RPGs. You can twist the meaning to your liking but the general definition refers to the sub-genre of RPGs where you spend most, if not all of the game inside one or multiple dungeons, such as the Mysterious Dungeon titles, Azure Dreams, Children of Mana, Grandia X, FFCC, etc.

Now for the list: Kingdom Hearts 3 really shouldn't be on there. While I believe it's coming to Wii the game is still a ways off. "Odin Sphere 2" needs a proper title considering it's not Odin Sphere 2. Also, remarkably, Dragon Quest Swords isn't on this list.

And for naz, Baten Kaitos 3 didn't come from Surfer Girl, it came from Bruce when he starting dishing dirt on the Matsuno RPG. I don't think surfer girl even acknowledged BK3 yet.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Here is a part of the IGN review for Children of Mana, that was when I first heard of the term dungeon crawler:

"(...) but Children of Mana is an entirely different style of game, and for what it is, it rocks. Rather than focusing on a traditional action-RPG design, this DS evolution looks to master the world of dungeon crawling RPGs, something that some gamers will love and defend, while others curse for changing its style."

The reviewer makes a difference between traditional action RPG's (and what should be traditional if FF isn't?) and dungeon crawlers.

Here's the link to the entire review if you are interested: http://ds.ign.com/articles/742/742998p1.html

nintendo_fanboy said:
I don't think you are right Naznatips. If you were, it would absolutely make no sense to use this term because almost every game would be a Dungeon Crawler. In my opinion, a dungeon crawler is a RPG that that focuses COMPLETELY on contained areas where the player proceeds through a dungeon collecting treasure, usually culminating in a boss battle.

As I said, Children of Mana seems to be a good example for my definition, you do almost nothing else than proceeding through dungeons.

Well, first of all, I agree that it's a stupid term to use, and it doesn't make much sense to ever use it because it's loosely defined at best.  

Second, it was gonintendo who decided that Namco's statement of "Exploration RPG" meant "dungeon crawler."  Of course, exploration implies a large overworld with a lot of time spent in it, which would be the exact opposite of your definition of dungeon crawler.  We also have the 1 screen shot, which certainly doesn't look like it's from the style of game you are describing.

Meh you only need two good RPG's a gen.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

Duke Of Darkness said:
Meh you only need at least two good RPG's a gen that have neither final nor fantasy in the name.

Fixed.

nintendo_fanboy said:
Soriku said:

- ruins involved
- teaser site here

Are you kidding? The only reason I play most RPGs is to get to the next dungeon. Having to sit through a bunch of generally uninteresting cutscenes, not to mention visiting dull towns and talking to NPCs who seldom have anything interesting to say, before every dungeon isn't exactly my idea of fun.

That may be why the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games are among my favorite RPGs...

Either way, I love dungeon crawlers, and I'm seriously looking forward to this game.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom