By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubi: 'No point' doing realistic Wii games.

"I don't see the point in trying to do too much realism on the Wii," Red Steel 2's Creative Director, Jason Vandenberghe told CVG.

Speaking in a Facebook Fan Page-exclusive segment of our Red Steel 2 interview, the Ubisoft Paris man argued that there's no point trying to compete with games on more powerful consoles.

He said: "Why compete with the 360? The Conduit is a great example. Talk about an incredible piece of technology. Those guys did an amazing job of modernizing the Wii engine."

In the end, Vandenberghe told CVG, gamers look at 'realistic' Wii games and think they're not quite a good looking as a "baseline game on 360".

"It's got to be frustrating for [Conduit dev, High Voltage]," he added. "Gamers will see the flaws, not your work. They're not going to see all the effort you put in. Any developers working on the Wii, I recommend you stylise the look because it helps. I think it looks cool anyway."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235927

Around the Network

"The Conduit is a great example. Talk about an incredible piece of technology"

Right here, you lost me.

i agree with him, and i hope more people use cel shading for Wii games.

I don't mind. I love the kind of style used in No More Heroes and Red Steel 2!

I agree with him just fine, I'm just not sure that the rest of the Wii market agrees. I don't think that there's any evidence that Wii owners as a whole prefer stylized graphics to realistic, even though the HD consoles do realistic so much better.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

That's right Wii was never meant to be realistic, just fun and immediate.

He has a point, but I don't agree with him entirely. Yes, if you want to focus on visual realism as a value for your game, that value would be done better and appreciated more on the HD consoles.

However, games that are not stylized have succeeded perfectly fine, Call of Duty and Resident Evil, for example.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

i'm a cell shading guy so I agree.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

I don't agree intirely because I think that there is a market for realistic games on the Wii (eg. Golf, and other sims and some shooters and action adventure games) and if more games are stylized, then these Titles will stand out.

Chibi Assassin's Creed on-rails confirmed?