By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why aren't public shaming a form of punishment for out legal system?

Prison costs a lot of money and that money comes from taxes, which, are from us.

I think prison should be used for violent crimes and the more serious ones.

Meanwhile, the non-voilent ones, we could use some sort of public shaming as a form of punishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_humiliation

I think this method is much more effective than just stuffing people in jail wasting our tax dollars.

This method of punishment is actually very popular in the past. It is cost effective (zero) and it leaves an emotional scar deep enough to stop people doing it again.

Why and when was this stopped? Prison lobby?

Around the Network

Nope, probably because it conflicts with our privacy laws.

If you are hauled off to jail for two days, you get a rep and that's it. If your poster is hanged everywhere proclaiming you're a thief or worse, you're placed somewhere for public display... that's an image you can never shake off. A simple crime like theft suddenly punishable by life and you wouldn't want that.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Isn't that exactly what you want? They wouldn't steal to begin with knowing what kind of punishment they would be getting.

Galaki said:
Isn't that exactly what you want? They wouldn't steal to begin with knowing what kind of punishment they would be getting.

People steal in countries that get your hand chopped off. You can't prevent it.

Well, chopping the hands off is maybe a bit too much.

However, I wouldn't mind pedophiles getting their reproductive organ chopped off.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Well, chopping the hands off is maybe a bit too much.

However, I wouldn't mind pedophiles getting their reproductive organ chopped off.

I'm not proposing we should chop them off, I'm just using it as an example that as a preventive measure public shaming will not work.

(chemical) castration of (repeated) pedophiles has also been a hotly debated issue in the EU. Final verdict: It's illegal as it's in violation of the human's right for body-integrity.

http://consumerist.com/2007/05/judge-orders-shoplifters-to-wear-signs-reading-i-am-a-thief-i-stole-from-walmart.html

Should be used more often. I think public bukkake would be a huge deterrent.

Because even criminals have the right to privacy... I certainly wouldn't want to deprivate a small-time thief of their privacy.

If someone becomes a thief and later repents, they should be allowed to keep their crimes in the past.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It wouldn't work on me. I don't feel shame.

On a related note, let me add that medieval times (when humiliation was common) were very different from now. There was no Internet back then, for one thing.

If something like this happened today, you would quickly see online searchable databases where everyone can see every crime anyone ever committed. This record would follow you everywhere in the world for the rest of your life.

It's just too draconian.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957