By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the Wii Won't sell 80m+

cerdsmania said:
to tell you all my opinion the wii may sell 80 miliion units but not to hardcore gamers who keep consoles going. if u look at what the wii is selling most it is wii play and wii sports. okay but compare to xbox360 which is selling crackdown lost planet,gears of war and so. those games are for serious gamers not just the non-gamer. the ps3 on the other hand it top sellers are resistance:fall of man, motor storm, and virtua fighter 5. these are real games. as in theyre games meant to be played not wii sports or wii play or even raymond raving rabbids. these arent games you enjoy. and personally when u buy a hdtv u already have the money so many people just buy a ps3 or 360 to go with it. and if i made any grammar mistakes please excuse me cuz my spelling sucks.

The Wii does have Zelda which is outselling every other next gen game except Gears of War.  Red Steel, CoD3, and Madden 07 all did fairly well for launch games.  I'm interested in seeing how Godfather does as well.  We'll be seeing more hard core games in the future.  At first there weren't many because no one really thought they would sell well on a Nintendo system (or that the system would sell well for that matter).  Now that both are selling we'll see more.  I don't think the hard core crowd will be much of a problem for the Wii, or that the Wii will threaten the PS3 and 360 there.  Anyone with the money for an HDTV and PS3 or 360 has the money to buy a Wii, even if it is only for an occasional bowling game and a funner Godfather. 

Around the Network
ookaze said:
cerdsmania said:
compare to xbox360 which is selling crackdown lost planet,gears of war and so. those games are for serious gamers not just the non-gamer. the ps3 on the other hand it top sellers are resistance:fall of man, motor storm, and virtua fighter 5. these are real games. as in theyre games meant to be played not wii sports or wii play or even raymond raving rabbids. these arent games you enjoy. and personally when u buy a hdtv u already have the money so many people just buy a ps3 or 360 to go with it. and if i made any grammar mistakes please excuse me cuz my spelling sucks

So much nonsense, really. So Wii Sports is not a game people enjoy, is not meant to be played.

And everyone who buys a HDTV set has the money to buy a PS3 or XB360 to go with it.

You're smoking some pretty bad crack, you should stop right now. 

BTW people, 480p never was HD and never will. Progressive scan never was HD either.

HD is pretty well defined, and starts at 720i@30 which is unused, so starts at 720p@30 actually.

480p@60 never was HD. And stop this nonsense hope of seeing the Wii outputing HD content.

It won't be a selling point even if it comes true. Besides, the Wii is IMHO in a fragile balance heat wise.

I don't think that it could last long in such a small case, while making far more heat. Perhaps a new model can do that though (with a shrinked die size). But don't keep your hopes up on the Wii doing HD, really. 

As said above, theres nothing really why Wii could not do HD. And update sounds much more propable, than new and improved Wii. Although, graphics wont look much better. Point still is, that even with Wii, you still gain better graphics with HDTV. Ok, 480p is considered as a low HD, because its HDTV compatible resolution, unlike 480i (NTSC) and 576i (PAL). About those HC gamers, if you are a hardcore gamer, you cant miss Wii.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Technically, if I recall correctly, 480p is considered "EDTV", or "Enhanced Definition", since it's only a partial step towards HDTV specs, it was sort of an interim jump. It's funny, I've been so busy buying games and my new DS Lite that I forgot I was still using the composite cable that came with my Wii. Oh well. :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Deleted by moderator

Non-gamers evolve very easily to casual gamers. Just check out the hardware and software sales of DS.

Around the Network

Agree I have stated many times that due to Wii's hardware it will be a 5 year system and probably top out IN FIRST PLACE at 65m to 75m units. Then WiiHD will continue... on the Wii legacy.

everything above 60 million will mark the beginning of a new era in nintendos history and will be their definate comeback, i think we all can agree to that:P

why are we bringing back this ancient thread?

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Stromprophet said:
reverie said: What's the point of your unsourced 2 months statistic? If I have 1 factory today and start the 2nd tomorrow I can double my capacity within 1 day... I was talking about total shipments based on quarterly financial reports and compared year over year. It's nonsense to say "Nintendo can't get their manufacturing together" (like you did), because they doubled their output year-over-year and are now at a PS2-like level, shipping more than 2 million units per month (based on their forecast of 13 million units for Oct'06-Mar'07). Likewise they could start shipping 2 million Wiis per month within one year if necessary.
It's still less than the PS2 level (and also a less expensive and less complex system to make I might add). My reference was to the fact that their are plenty of people who have said they have gone to a retail store and can't find a DS. While that is great for sales, it points to either the fact that they aren't logistically supplying stores correctly, or simply have maxed out their manufacturing. Either way, it's shoddy. Secondly, since sales of Wii have decreased off the high December Holiday numbers what is the explaination for not ramping up production? My point was a manufacturer of scale (Microsoft, or Sony in particular) can do that very quickly. Which they did do. Which is quite impressive that for a very advanced piece of equipment they got the supply moving very quickly. Even more quickly than Microsoft could. 1st off, no one just flips a switch and turns on another factory thus doubling capacity, and doubling your capacity simply by building another plant doesn't always work like that. Usually you would attempt to expand existing operations before undertaking such an expensive venture. Sony doubled their output in 2 months, Nintendo did it over a year. Regardless, the very fact that you can't find a system (almost 3 years old, DS) sometimes points to good sales, but also points to miscalculations in manufacturing and supply chain. So it's not wrong to say, they can't get their manufacturing together. And if you know Nintendo as a company it makes sense. They are not a manufacturer of scale and it's not surprising to see such issues with their manufacturing or their supply chain.

What's less than Ps2's manufacturing levels ? http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=DS&reg3=All&align=1

Are you suggesting that there are huge amount's of Ps2's in warehouses just waiting to be shipped ?

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Some other thread it was pointed out that the PS2 numbers seem to omit rest of the world. If you look at the Japan or the America versions of this, Wii roughly tracks PS2 in each market.