By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 200 plus AI on screen - Halo Reach

Since we’re already rocking the Show and Tell action in today’s update, I should probably talk a spell about Max Dyckhoff’s Most Amazing Show on Earth Reach. While we’re not talking at all about campaign story details beyond what we've already disclosed – that lidded adventure will stay undercover for a good, long spell – I can provide some cryptic details about some pretty serious technical upgrades the team has in the works to make your experience even more epic this fall.

The scene: Chris Opdahl’s workstation (he’s the svelte gentleman that showed off the big AI battles in our most recent and totally awesome ViDoc). He's already in the midst of a conversation with Max about what’s happening onscreen when I walk up behind them, stalker style. For some reason, the engine is spitting out a tinny rendition of Flight of the Bumblebee to accompany the visuals. Max and Chris are talking numbers.

“How many are there running onscreen right now?”

“Two hundred, plus.”

“Oh, I was thinking we could do double that.”

And here I am off to the side speechless, drooling like Homer Simpson dreaming about pink, glazed donuts. Then they called security and I had to slink away ashamed.

Still, all things considered I’d say it’s a damn good week to work at Bungie.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=24866

Around the Network

seriously? awesome

/thread.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

GTA IV HAS THOUSANDS!

mM

We don't know what he was referring to in that paragraph, it could be 200 of anything. We shouldn't jump to conclusion until we have more information or your most likely going to end up disappointed.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

leo-j said:
GTA IV HAS THOUSANDS!

hahaha that was funny

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

Around the Network
otoniel said:
leo-j said:
GTA IV HAS THOUSANDS!

hahaha that was funny

Funny because it's so wrong. leo-j and his infamous stealth trolling.

Mendicate is right though, this article was brought up on the Halo: Reach Official thread, and like we discussed there, it could be 200 of anything, not neccesarily AI.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

I'm sure it wasn't about 200 of active AI units, it's just impossible to achieve so there's no point talking about it.

It is probably talking about 200 ships in a space battle cutscene or something. Also, people should check the Reach thread before creating new ones. I hate duplicate discussions.

From Halopedia:
Halo: Reach's engine will be able to support up to 40 active AI characters and 20 vehicles on screen at once. In addition, faraway battles between AI characters will follow automated behavior models, which convert into scripted behaviors as the player gets closer, and finally full AI.[8][9]

So i highly doubt that there was a tenfold increase in supported AI since this was written (around the time of the GI article I think.)

Though 40 AI and 20 vehicles is still damn impressive.

wooo since we are on topic of AI, I got some cool stuff!