By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The mystery of Wario Land: Shake It's poor sales

The game is superb, but I don't know if it had big advertisement. Did it?

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Around the Network

The game should have either been over twice as long or should have originally retailed at under $30.

Besides being $20-30 overpriced, the game also wasn't a lot of fun. I didn't like having to race the clock at the end of every level. That is the main thing that is holding me back from liking Wario games. The first Wario game is still my favorite.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

_honeybadger_ said:
Because it doesn't have mario on the title.

That probably reflects the issue here.  Wario falls into the Luigi category.  Any game without Mario, that is lead with Luigi (Luigi's Mansion) is not seen as a real Nintendo platformer.  I saw it and the name made me go Eh.  I didn't even pay attention to it at all. 

1. It doesn't have Mario in the title
2. It doesn't have Wii in the title
3. It got almost no advertisment

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
richardhutnik said:
_honeybadger_ said:
Because it doesn't have mario on the title.

That probably reflects the issue here.  Wario falls into the Luigi category.  Any game without Mario, that is lead with Luigi (Luigi's Mansion) is not seen as a real Nintendo platformer.  I saw it and the name made me go Eh.  I didn't even pay attention to it at all. 

That's what I think, I love the wario games but in gaming culture he is a third rate Mario clone (at best) so his games have that stigma and barrier that don't let them become as huge as Mario games. It's all in the Psicology of the gamers and Nintendo is to blame for that. That's the reason that their core franchises are still the same as over 20 years ago. They need to allow their other properties and new IPs to hoard the spotlight to create awereness and recognition but they don't do that. They just treat them like second rate products. That's one of the factors that make the hardcore gamer somewhat dissatisfied with Nintendo. Nonetheless in the casual side they have created new properties and allow them to have the spotlight but they are resistent to do the same with the games aimed at the core gamers.

Around the Network

I don't consider 800 000 as a failure. Hell, when nintendo games don't sell a million it considered failure nowadays. I think Banjoe Kazooie on the 360 is more faillure actually. This thread would fit better with extcite boots actually.

For me, Wario land shake it is the king of game i would pay 35$ for. Because tile is a limited and money too I choose like many other gamers others options. Still as I said, 800 000 is for me a real hit especially considering the probably low budget of the game.

It just wasn't fun. After I 100% 7 lvls I never bothered doing the rest.

This game has always interested me, but other games have done so more.

Superb game, especially the missions. It should have sold more.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

No mystery - De Blob is better

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.