By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to answer Geohot's hack by removing other OS support ?

Owen Stampflee Linux Product Manager for Fixstars Corporation made the following post in the yellowdog-boards(YellowDog Linux forums). 

"Everyone, 

I've caught a rumor from a reputable source that the next firmware update for old PS3s will remove the OtherOS feature... 

I'm not sure if it's true or not but it's in the best interest of the YDL community to spread the word. 

Cheers, 
Owen" 

It can be speculated that this is sony's answer to geohots exploit which utilizes the other os feature.

http://n4g.com/gaming/News-478833.aspx

Lock if already posted...

Around the Network

I was going to post this earlier but it seems that the thread no longer exists on the Yellow Dog Linux forums.

If this were indeed true though, I would be upset with Sony disabling something they promised me when they sold me my 60GB PS3.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Thats lame... I have some friends that actually use their PS3 to run linux and if i ever got a PS3 i was going to do the same :( Sad day

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Euphoria14 said:

I was going to post this earlier but it seems that the thread no longer exists on the Yellow Dog Linux forums.

If this were indeed true though, I would be upset with Sony disabling something they promised me when they sold me my 60GB PS3.

Piracy prevention...Geohot ruined everybody's life by trying to make pirate lives better...

I WANTZ MAH MONEYS BAK. there I said what everyone's thinking.
...well actually not really, never cared about this feauture, but some people will be pissed off, specially because a fat ps3 used to cost between 400-600€.

But should we be mad at Sony or at Geohot? You could have made a poll on this thread =P

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

Don't blame Sony, blame hackers. I wouldn't expect anything less from Sony. I would do the same thing.

GodOfWar_3ever said:
Euphoria14 said:

Piracy prevention...Geohot ruined everybody's life by trying to make pirate lives better...

I understand they whole Geohot thing, which honestly nothing has arisen from yet, but why does that make it alright for Sony to take away something that has been accesible to me for 3+ years?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Lightning_24 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Don't blame Sony, blame hackers. I wouldn't expect anything less from Sony. I would do the same thing.

Well if they are that afraid of this hack being the real deal, which it may not be since it hasn't brought about anything yet, I won't be updating my PS3 anytime soon.

Currently playing:

I already decided that I am not going back on PSN. I'm not going to hack my Ps3 or anything, but that doesn't give them a right to take away features I paid for!

dsister44 said:

I already decided that I am not going back on PSN. I'm not going to hack my Ps3 or anything, but that doesn't give them a right to take away features I paid for!

This man gets it!

Although I will be a bit different and say:

"Show me the homebrew!"

Currently playing: