By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 is starting to be sold out in France?

Kasz216 said:

Which means they had to have made a much larger about of 250's then 120's which doesn't really make much sense unless they are phasing something out... or for some reason were just really daft on what would sell.

Manufacturing cost of 250G model = manufacturing cost of 120G model + $5. What is so difficult to understand? What the 250G/120G manufactured ratio is only Sony can tell you. Apparently the 120G sells faster than anticipated so they have to live with it.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Kasz216 said:

Which means they had to have made a much larger about of 250's then 120's which doesn't really make much sense unless they are phasing something out... or for some reason were just really daft on what would sell.

Manufacturing cost of 250G model = manufacturing cost of 120G model + $5. What is so difficult to understand? What the 250G/120G manufactured ratio is only Sony can tell you. Apparently the 120G sells faster than anticipated so they have to live with it.

How they could ignore previous selling history if that was the case? It's not like the 120 just came out.

It seems its sold out everywhere .

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

they aren't phasing out the 120gb yet they are manipulating the high demand giving a greater number of people only the option of the 250gb which im sure they make a profit on.

I know if i went to buy a ps3 slim and went to 3 stores and couldn't find a 120gb i would just settle for the 250 gb.

I think Kazs second theory might old some water. I could see the 250 GB model replacing the 120 GB as the standard, and then introduce a 500 GB model like Carl suggested. Would be totally plausible. The difference in manufacturing costs between the 120 GB model and 250 GB model is basically nothing.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
drkohler said:

How they could ignore previous selling history if that was the case? It's not like the 120 just came out.

???

Look, roughly 12 months ago (!) Sony ordered PS3 harddisks for this fiscal year. They got what they ordered and that is what they are selling. If there are no 120G units visible in your area, that probably means that:

a) Your area manager estimated too few 120G units in his fiscal year business plan

b) You have the same shitty 250G bundles like we have here in Switzerland. The plain 120G sells for around $390 (still widely available), the 250G bundle with two shitty games sells for around $510, so almost nobody buys the bundles (the few 250G Blu-ray bundles sold within minutes, though).

drkohler said:
Kasz216 said:
drkohler said:

???

Look, roughly 12 months ago (!) Sony ordered PS3 harddisks for this fiscal year. They got what they ordered and that is what they are selling. If there are no 120G units visible in your area, that probably means that:

a) Your area manager estimated too few 120G units in his fiscal year business plan

b) You have the same shitty 250G bundles like we have here in Switzerland. The plain 120G sells for around $390 (still widely available), the 250G bundle with two shitty games sells for around $510, so almost nobody buys the bundles (the few 250G Blu-ray bundles sold within minutes, though).

You really think they only order hard drives once for the entire year? That's just not how it works. Also, it should be fairly obvious to anybody... that if you expect a price drop to be the big console mover.... you would want a lot more of the version that has the lower price.

I don't know in America, but here in France, people do not buy the 360 because there is no PS3. They buy 250 GB! or they wait... many people think 360 is the low end HD system overthere....

PS3 is considered a luxury item in france i guess....

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Kasz216 said:
You really think they only order hard drives once for the entire year? That's just not how it works. Also, it should be fairly obvious to anybody... that if you expect a price drop to be the big console mover.... you would want a lot more of the version that has the lower price.

Thank you but I had direct insight into mass manufacturing for over 20 year (one of my colleagues actually worked in harddisk research for a major manufacturer - so I knew the rules in that business and I don't suppose they have changed since) so I pretty much know "how it works". And yes, you actually want to sell the product which makes the most profit (or least loss) and not the lowest priced item. The 250G model would sell well over here if it weren't for the shitty bundles.