By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DVD is increasingly showing a strain in providing HD content.

ymeaga1n said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:

Speaking of DVDs (not the ones used for the video game medium), has anyone noticed that stores have been selling recent releases of movies and whatnot on DVDs for cheap prices? My mom bought a crap-load of them, including the 6th Harry Potter movie for me as a Valentine's present. I told her I didn't want it because it wasn't Widescreen (it was Full Screen) and it wasn't on Blu-Ray. I told her that I'm waiting to buy all of the Harry Potter films (on a compilation collection; they have those at Sam's Club, AND on Blu-Ray) on Blu-Ray. Plus, I've noticed how shitty some of my regular DVDs are when I play them on my laptop's Blu-Ray player.

Your mom got you a gift for Valentine's day??

He's from NC, that qualifies as the "South" of the U.S. so not surprising.

Around the Network
Linkzmax said:
leo-j said:
I love how the first couple of comments are basically saying "screw the ps3 and 360 then" definately don't deserve to be called gamers.

I guess I can see how you arrived at that viewpoint, but to me "Abandoning HD Content" =/= "screw the ps3 and 360". Plenty of games/series have the sales to justify pushing the hardware to its limits. Just saying the focus on other games shouldn't be to develop a 1080p or even 720p title if the market isn't there to support the costs.

I certainly didn't mean resources should be shifted to the Wii or a handheld.

EDIT: Also, I agree with most posts that an additional disc would usually solve the issue.

exactly..an additional disc is all that takes to sort this issue and not be at loss.

I'm not so sure in-game visual fidelity is really an issue. I hate to point this out because it's been said many times but, Crysis fit on 1 DVD. The issue here is that some of these games rely far too much on pre-rendered cutscenes, instead of simply making the cutscenes using the in-game assets. I like cutscenes as much as the next guy, but make smarter use of your resources, just because you have space doesn't mean you have to use it. Think if they had made all the cutscenes using less assets than CGI, this game could have been a 100+ hour playthrough without side quests!

Get a gaming PC if you're gonna act like a little whiney 2 year old over slight differences in texture resolution. Then you can take your rage and turn it into something productive rather than treading over the same old FUD thats been spread over the last few years.

A texture overhaul featuring the "Photorealistic Zone", a total rework of every texture in game by Argus over a 9 month period. Special attention has been given to preserve the game’s original look while textures have been replaced with higher quality versions and manually bump edited files. Textures are heavily optimized to reduce performance drop.

* Locations - all textures replaced with higher quality photographs with partial use of original files, creating highly detailed outdoor and indoor environments.
* Living Creatures - mutated creatures have soaking wet flesh showing through wounds, it's almost disturbing. All humans in Zone have been retouched down to finest details, armor, shoes, wrinkles, faces, even eye balls.
* Vehicles - 20 year old vehicles in the Zone now appear realistically rusty and abandoned.

Grow some balls/tits/brains/spines (delete not applicable) and deal with it.

BMaker11 said:
Linkzmax said:
llewdebkram said:
With so many big publishers losing money or making ridiculously small profits on 10 million + selling games maybe it's time they abandoned HD content for now!

DING DING DING DING DING! Sure the HD content is amazing, but the market for them isn't expanding nearly as much as the cost to develop the games is. I doubt we'd really want a price hike on software to balance the scale.

MW2 made $2B.....first week. Wtf are you guys talking about? $2B revenue - $50M R&D and Development = $1.95B profit. Ridiculously small?

you'd think activision would be posting a profit then wouldn't you, but they didn't.  They had WoW and MW2 and still posted a holiday quarter loss.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
GameAnalyser said:
Well Wii has managed to live through all these without the need for an HD content. In terms of both software and hardware sales, it's very limitation hasn't been a constraint at all this generation. That seems something hard to digest when other consoles(HD ones) are mending ways for paving the road ahead on their own terms.

Putting HD on a system that wouldn't understand it would = fail. OF course the wii has never had this problem.

V-r0cK said:
leo-j said:
I love how the first couple of comments are basically saying "screw the ps3 and 360 then" definately don't deserve to be called gamers.

One of the first comments, the poster only has a DS (according to their tag), what could've we expected lol

Seeing as you're talking about me, I can assure you that the DS isn't the only system I have. I just got fed up with getting temporary bans from the site for adding the games I own too quickly when the feature came out. And since then I've never been interested in sharing my PSN id, XBL tag, or the multitude of friend codes for Wii.(Although I was tempted to for Metroid Prime 3) I come here for the numbers, news, and interesting forum topics.

Gameanalyser said:

Well recently the flaws of the DVD medium has been discussed as one of the major constraints of adding HD content. Who is at loss this gen? Are any measures going to be undertaken to avoid this compromising that has to be dealt with?

----many may think that the 360 is at a loss because it cannot fit as much data on dvd. however in the case of multi-platform games it hurts the ps3 more than anything. developers generally develop multi-platform games for the 360 first because 1) its a bit easier to develop for and 2) they create what they need to fit the game on a 360 disc first...this hurts the ps3 because 1) it gets sub par ports most of the time and 2) it means that most developers are not using the superior processing power and storage to create better games. it still has untapped potential that is not being reached. but this is only for some multi-platform games

----dvd otherwise just means compressed data and disc swapping for 360 which isn't that big of a deal.
---the only thing that may hurt dvd and 360 in the future is lack of blu ray. once HD tv and blu ray become standard in the household (which its pretty close maybe another year or two before everyone owns and HD tv) the ps3 will be the hottest blu ray player on the market. it updates movies automatically and is very simple to use. so in the end i believe that you're right to bet on the ps3 slim as the tables are already beginning to turn in sony's favor. but it will take another year at least for the ps3 to catch up in the sales department.

sony should wait for HDTV prices to drop a bit and then drop the ps3 price and do some hardcore ps3 blu ray player advertising. and FFS blu ray movie prices need to drop. a $30 price point for new releases is insane.

Wait, what are the flaws of DVD again?

Two recent games have (or are going to) come on multiple discs? Is that really such a big deal to you (especially when it use to be considered awesome when a game comes on multiple discs)?

arsenicazure said:
well the consoles can barely handle 720p for most games.. so I dont know what the noise is about...

In other news;you might wanna get your fat ass off your sofa and swap discs.. like they used to.. in the good old days!

Rofl. And we used to have to walk ten miles to school in the snow too! Why  I tell you, back in the day...