By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - *Will Microsoft ever have the best selling console in a generation?*

Will Microsoft ever be able to win in a gen for the best selling console? In my opinion the answer to that question is no. Its not that I hate Microsoft or anything I just honestly think that this will never happen ever. It also isn't because they are bad at making consoles or anything. I think this way because of one reason and only one reason and that is because of Japan. I don't think that Microsoft will ever be able to win a gen because Japan never buy's American consoles. Sony can sell to 3 main areas and Nintendo can also sell well to 3 main areas but Microsoft can only sell to 2 main areas and will fail in Japan no matter what probably every time. I just don't see Microsoft ever getting somewhat big sales in Japan. It would be different if they did at least  ok in Japan but they FAIL HARD in Japan.

Do you think that Microsoft has the ability to ever win a gen?

Is it even possible to win a gen with not even a little support from a main selling point?

Around the Network

It´s possible, sure...however how likely that is, no one can know now...and even though Japan isn´t as important as before, it´s still a 'player' in the global market.

Not for a while anyways. Sony and Nintendo are just too good.

MS needs more first party games.

build a time machine. u'll get ur answer

No, Microsoft is a one hit wonder.
they pioneered online gaming but never kept up the momentum.
this all leeds to them staying a second hand gaming company.

hello how are you.

Around the Network

Of course it's possible, Microsoft have beaten Nintendo before, and are currently beating Sony. Even if Sony pulls ahead it proves that if they come out with something better than the rest they can beat them both.

Wii mote was a gamble, Nintendo had faith obviously but it was a gamble nonetheless, they could come out with even more inovation next gen and it go completly tits up.

Sony I feel will win next gen, winning a previous gen by tens and tens millions more than the competitors does not mean it's likely you'll win the next gen. I feel Sony have learnt from their mistakes, the only thing that could harm them is the smaller userbase of the PS3 going onwards.

Going into next gen, Microsoft are the ones that need to work the hardest, they need to come out first and they need to have something stunning.

They don't have the worldwide appeal of Sony or Nintendo. As long as those two stick around I'm more inclined to say no than yes.

I'm going to go yes.

I mean... why not? The reasons to the contrary so far seem silly.

If microsoft keeps doing it... eventually they'll get a first place... and they have the resources to stay in it as long as they want even more so then Sony or Nintendo.

The only big "worry" is they'll decide it's not worth it anymore.

Sure they will do eventually. Maybe not even in our lifetime but if they stay in the gaming business long enough then they can.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Japan is quickly becoming an irrelevant market. The population is dropping, the importance of handhelds is increasing and canibalising the home console market. As the markets in the rest of the world expand I bet that by the middle of next generation there will be no 'Japan' row in the Vgchartz home page.

Tease.