By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will WII sales in Japan hit GC sales???

The WII sales hasn't gone smoothly for the past 2 months in Japan and even the precious Super Mario Galaxy release couldn't boost hardware sales up to its old high galaxy level.

Still... one thing has made me realise when looking at the final sales figures from Japan... the WII is only 236.538 away from the Gamecube sales... "ever". This means, that the WII has almost accomplished to sell in about 1 year, what the Gamecube has sold over 6 years in Japan, when you think the Cube released in September 2001 and the WII on 2 December 2006 in Japan.

Question is and perhaps fun to start as a prediction, when will the WII sales hit the Gamecube sales in Japan. Before the end of 2008? Sooner, later? What do you reckon?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

I would say week earlier than what Rol said... Week ending 9.12. I believe weekly Wii sales will will go up again during this month.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Aw shucks, looks like the Wii won't make it in under a year after all. Selling more than the previous console in just a year would be awesome, but 54 weeks or whatever much less so.

Still extremely impressive, and less than anybody without John Lucas-level foresight could've ever guessed though.

Wii is still selling about the same as the PS2 was selling at the same point in its life and the PS2 took about 54 weeks to reach the same level as the GC's total sales in Japan, so Wii should take about that amount, barring a holiday boost

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@Roll... roll...ing on the floor, you're hilarious :D I also believe the WII should be able to surpass the GC sales before 2008, but before its first birthday? Well, unless WII Fit predicts unexpected miracles and make the WII sell over 100.000 in one day, then yes, but other then that, I don't see that happen, but still happen before the clock slams 2008.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

I agree with Rol and the date ending 16th Dec.

Games i'm currently playing:

it's sad to see that the wii is only selling as well as the PS2 now...

I'm going to be a bit more hopeful then Rol and say 2/12/07 if it includes the WiiFit numbers, but 9/12 if it doesn't.
Anyone know how WiiFit is preordering in Japan?

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

RolStoppable said:
bdbdbd said:
I would say week earlier than what Rol said... Week ending 9.12. I believe weekly Wii sales will will go up again during this month.

I try to play it safe. You know, I have lost faith in the Wii and its future.

Well, i was planning to say 16th, but since you took that date already, i had to pick another one, or i would have felt like copycat. ;)

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Week ending December 9.

I predict around 150k the week Wii Fit ships.

Vengi said:

Anyone know how WiiFit is preordering in Japan?

Not yet but is not always a  good indication for the sales.