By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony PS3 Supply To Be Tight Over Coming Months

RAZurrection said:
Complications said:

You have no clue about business. Sony need to produce as many PS3 units as they can sell.

Uh, you're the one recommending Sony would make more money by selling more units of a product that they sell at a loss.

Complications said:

If they made 10M PS3s every quarter, who would buy them all? Then sony would have to store all these excess PS3s - and storage costs money. Be serious please.

But you just said "The more PS3s Sony produce - the more production costs are lowered", why wouldn't they take advantage of that if it were true?

Oh my god, put my words into context and read them over twice. Flipsake!

Around the Network

Sony is pulling a Nintendo. They're only doing this to drive demand.

microsoft will take care of those customers who can't find a ps3 to play ff13 with their bundle :/ even when theirs demand their losing out...

it was sexy as hell and back when it launched the red ring of death scared me away from a 360 :/

PS3 cost more to make, is more complex to build, sony losses money on each, and they currently have a supply shortage and people call bullshit, and yet Nintendo who wii cost less to make, is less complex, and gets profit on each also, and has a supply shortage for almost 3 years and people jump for joy at how much it's selling and it's popularity.

I don't get people here, if it's bullshit for Sony then it's ultra bulshit for Nintendo regardless of sales.

The only real conclusion is that there could be a component shortage, or just raw material shortage which in effect would cause a shortage of PS3's, I know that Samsung over here in Australia has a part shortage so from my point of view it's highly likely that it could be the same for sony.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
I guess they might be close to breaking even on the console, so they are holding off production until they start making money off the PS3

Yeah...sure.....

(shakes head in disbelief)

Quoting myself from another thread:

Every year, Sony (Europe), Sony (ANZO), Sony (America), Sony (Whatnots) make their business plans and order equipment based on their take of the market situation. Last year, Sony (America) underestimated the demand and did not order enough PS3s from Sony (HQ - or whatever it is called). End of Story - there is no way PS3s will start to appear in masses on american store shelves until 1st quarter next business period. This could mean that shortages will exist until April. All the manufactured PS3s have been allocated to their regions as per order and there is no magic warehouse which will fill american store shelves. You can be sure that Sony (HQ) is NOT happy about the Tretton guy running the show (that is the reason his remarks about current NPD results are pointless drivel about software etc - obviously he knows his position is less than optimal due to his gaffe).

So, in simple words:

1. Everything Sony (America) ordered they got - apparently not enough stock it seems

2. PS3s (all models) are everywhere in Europe - apparently Sony (Europe) ordered enough stock

3. No complaints from from Sony (ANZO) area - they seem to have ordered enough stock

4. Sony's announced plan was to ship 13mio units which was confirmed at their latest quarterly report. 33.5mio were shipped until Dec 31. As of now, half the remaining stock was shipped which puts the number of shipped units at around 35mio.

5. Of these 35mio units, VGC claims 31.6mio were sold through (that number may change another three to four times per week...). This would mean roughly 3 to 3.5 mio units are somewhere, which seems a bit high to me.

They should ship the 3 million they have sitting in Europe and JAPAN back to America, but they too lazy for that.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
They should ship the 3 million they have sitting in Europe and JAPAN back to America, but they too lazy for that.

Yeah sure.... you pay the cost for it?

drkohler said:
psrock said:

Yeah sure.... you pay the cost for it?

why can't they just use all the profit they have made from the PS3 ?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
RAZurrection said:
Complications said:

You have no clue about business. Sony need to produce as many PS3 units as they can sell.

Uh, you're the one recommending Sony would make more money by selling more units of a product that they sell at a loss.

Complications said:

If they made 10M PS3s every quarter, who would buy them all? Then sony would have to store all these excess PS3s - and storage costs money. Be serious please.

But you just said "The more PS3s Sony produce - the more production costs are lowered", why wouldn't they take advantage of that if it were true?

Because those savings would be offset by storage costs....which Complications already mentioned.
Their capital would also be unavailable for use if a more profitable opportunity arose, because they would have placed it all into an overproduced item.