By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NGAMER: Nintendo's summit is going to be bigger than E3

If Nintendo was serious about talking up their new console/platform at GDC - which is early March - they will almost certainly announce it before hand.

Any new platform announcement will probably come with games... how about a new Pokemon title to kick it off in style?

Timing doesn't make any sense for Zelda IMO - its going to be a Xmas title... they will wait till E3, and then really ramp it up 2-3 months before release.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

WANT zelda wii........

Smashchu2 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
stof said:
Perhaps. But remember that only one of their last two E3's was any good.

yeah 2008 and Wii Sport Resort were awful and yet sold over 10m, imagine if it was great, 2009 was average and had another 10m seller and more coming soon, how bigger can this "good" one be?

probably another revolutionary console, a handheld one?

I'm sorry to single you out, but where are people getting that Nintendo might release a new handheld. There is no reason they should release a new one when the DS is still outselling every console. Iwata has even recognized that the DS is slowing down and they need to create new, exciting software for it. Heck, the US still doesn't have the DSi XL. Not to mention that the DS strategy is to grow the market. Releasing a new handheld would mean Nintendo would have to start all over.

DSi XL/LL is just a revision, a DSi with bigger screens and the DSi was launched in 2008.

The DS is selling well but do you think that they will wait for Sony to release a new handheld first? Hell no! If they launch the "new DS" first they will have a huge advantage (just like they always do).

Releasing a new handheld similar to the DS with more power and motion sensor (similar to the Iphone) would mean more money. All they have to do is keep the actual DS at a low price and launch a new handheld at a high price. There is no need to discontinue the actual DS, so they will continue to make  the market grow.

One of the GAFers is invited to the sumit and seems like this sumit is scheduled for 9AM to 9PM

The summit is going to last from 9am-9pm. That's a lot of time to show and play stuff.

Yep 12 hours of ..... I don't know anyway the bad news is that this sumit is going to be embargoed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387182&page=13

Hisiru said:
Smashchu2 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
stof said:

yeah 2008 and Wii Sport Resort were awful and yet sold over 10m, imagine if it was great, 2009 was average and had another 10m seller and more coming soon, how bigger can this "good" one be?

I'm sorry to single you out, but where are people getting that Nintendo might release a new handheld. There is no reason they should release a new one when the DS is still outselling every console. Iwata has even recognized that the DS is slowing down and they need to create new, exciting software for it. Heck, the US still doesn't have the DSi XL. Not to mention that the DS strategy is to grow the market. Releasing a new handheld would mean Nintendo would have to start all over.

DSi XL/LL is just a revision, a DSi with bigger screens and the DSi was launched in 2008.

The DS is selling well but do you think that they will wait for Sony to release a new handheld first? Hell no! If they launch the "new DS" first they will have a huge advantage (just like they always do).

Releasing a new handheld similar to the DS with more power and motion sensor (similar to the Iphone) would mean more money. All they have to do is keep the actual DS at a low price and launch a new handheld at a high price. There is no need to discontinue the actual DS, so they will continue to make  the market grow.

First, making a new handheld would mean to leave the ond one to die. Nintendo can not spread themselves too far with Natal and ASrc coming out soon.

Second, Nintendo is using Blue Ocean Strategy. To compete with the PSP would be a red ocean strategy. Nintendo has made it clear that their goal is to use strong software. The Wii went from worse case senario to sold out just because of Super Mario Bros. The DSi XL isn't even out in the US and they would want to make a new one? One that would have to grow the market again? It is not smart for Nintendo to do that when the DS "makes the competition irrelevant." Making a new one would sacrifice 6 years or work.

Around the Network
Smashchu2 said:
Hisiru said:
Smashchu2 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
stof said:

First, making a new handheld would mean to leave the ond one to die.[Not true, when the DS was announced at 2004's E3 Nintendo also announced these games for the GBA: F-Zero GP Legend, Mario Pinbal, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green,The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Mario Party Advance, Mario Golf Advance, DK: King of Swing, Mario vs Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country 2 advance. See? Big support for the GBA even with the announcement of the DS. Oh, they also released the GBA Micro in 2005 (1 year after the DS was announced)] Nintendo can not spread themselves too far with Natal and ASrc coming out soon.

Second, Nintendo is using Blue Ocean Strategy [I don't know what "Blue Ocean Strategy" is, sorry I can't provide you an argument]. To compete with the PSP would be a red ocean strategy [and what is this?]. Nintendo has made it clear that their goal is to use strong software [I remember when Mr. Iwata said something like that but it was for the Wii, not DS, am I right?]. The Wii went from worse case senario to sold out just because of Super Mario Bros. [Well, the Wii is actually selling well even without a new Mario game. Actually, the Wii was selling well in US/EU before NSMBW was announced] The DSi XL isn't even out in the US and they would want to make a new one? [As I said before, it's just a revision, nothing changed, it's just a DSi with bigger screens and the DSi was released in 2008. Also, the new handheld would probably launch in Japan first, not here (isn't that how it works? So we would get this new handheld in 2011)] One that would have to grow the market again? [No matter when they launch a new handheld, they will have to "grow the market" again] It is not smart for Nintendo to do that when the DS "makes the competition irrelevant." Making a new one would sacrifice 6 years or work. [Using this logic, they can't release a new DS even after 10 years because they would sacrifice 10 years of work, don't you think?]

was 10% hyped for N's summit, now 20% hyped

still, E3 2010 should be bigger just becuz

alfredofroylan said:
One of the GAFers is invited to the sumit and seems like this sumit is scheduled for 9AM to 9PM
The summit is going to last from 9am-9pm. That's a lot of time to show and play stuff.

Yep 12 hours of ..... I don't know anyway the bad news is that this sumit is going to be embargoed.

does that mean no screens or videos???

bummer :(

Hisiru said:
Smashchu2 said:
Hisiru said:
Smashchu2 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
stof said:

First, making a new handheld would mean to leave the ond one to die.[Not true, when the DS was announced at 2004's E3 Nintendo also announced these games for the GBA: F-Zero GP Legend, Mario Pinbal, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green,The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Mario Party Advance, Mario Golf Advance, DK: King of Swing, Mario vs Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country 2 advance. See? Big support for the GBA even with the announcement of the DS. Oh, they also released the GBA Micro in 2005 (1 year after the DS was announced)] Nintendo can not spread themselves too far with Natal and ASrc coming out soon.

Second, Nintendo is using Blue Ocean Strategy [I don't know what "Blue Ocean Strategy" is, sorry I can't provide you an argument]. To compete with the PSP would be a red ocean strategy [and what is this?]. Nintendo has made it clear that their goal is to use strong software [I remember when Mr. Iwata said something like that but it was for the Wii, not DS, am I right?]. The Wii went from worse case senario to sold out just because of Super Mario Bros. [Well, the Wii is actually selling well even without a new Mario game. Actually, the Wii was selling well in US/EU before NSMBW was announced] The DSi XL isn't even out in the US and they would want to make a new one? [As I said before, it's just a revision, nothing changed, it's just a DSi with bigger screens and the DSi was released in 2008. Also, the new handheld would probably launch in Japan first, not here (isn't that how it works? So we would get this new handheld in 2011)] One that would have to grow the market again? [No matter when they launch a new handheld, they will have to "grow the market" again] It is not smart for Nintendo to do that when the DS "makes the competition irrelevant." Making a new one would sacrifice 6 years or work. [Using this logic, they can't release a new DS even after 10 years because they would sacrifice 10 years of work, don't you think?]

The thing is you have to understand the context of Nintendo's strategy before you can make assumptions on it. For instace, you don't know the Blue ocean Strategy, and becuase of that, the line "Making a new one would sacrifice 6 years or work." makes no sense to you.

Nintendo's focus is to grow the market, and I don't mean market shares. Nintendo's goal is to get more people playing video games, and playing their systems. With this in mind, it would not be helpful to release a new system becuase then Nintendo has to try and grow the market all over again. They would be better of to make games that will attract more users who have not played videogames then to make a new system. The DSi XL also fits into that strategy as they are trying to make a system for older people and attract them.Releasing a DS 2 would make the DSi XL dumb in the first place becuase of the fact that it wouldn't grow anything and all these new gamers would have to (or Nintendo would want them to) upgrade to the new DS.

Also, let's not forget the Gameboy. The system lasted for 9 years before the Gameboy Color came out lastiung for another three years. Yet it only makes sense for the DS to be replaced after 6 years despite the fact it is far more successful. This only shows how strong the DS is and why Nintendo should keep it.

miz1q2w3e said:
alfredofroylan said:

does that mean no screens or videos???

bummer :(

Damn well better not be true.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.