By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Konami: There will be no clear winner in console war.

I don't like to predict things but I still believe it is to early for everything.

We don't know how long the consoles will last this generation.

Of course you can say 'The Wii will be last for 7 years like PS2 did(and is still doing) but everything can happen.

The Wii number one this generation , I would say I am 80% sure that it will be n°1.

The Wii is missing games (and I am not saying that it doesn't have enough games) but their are great games (that I love) like Dynasty Warrrios, Ace Combat, Condemned that never will reach the Wii.

What will be the reaction of the people? Will people buy a X360 or a PS3 to buy this games?

And about the PS3 and the X360 hmm I give PS3 11% that it will win and X360 9% (Why? Because PS3 is more loved on the Japanese market).

Around the Network

No console will be as dominant as the PS2 was. But the Wii will be on top this gen, as it does extremely well in all 3 major regions.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

No comment.

mM

Arsenal said:
Call me crazy, but I think it is still anyone's game to win this gen.

[cut]

OK, Crazy.

ItsAMii said:

Between Konami and John Lucas I will stick with John Lucas. Unless PS3 and 360 sell more than 100 m combined, there will be a clear winner.

[cut]

Smart man.

There is no contest and 2008 will prove it. Everybody will find out soon enough. Konami's just up here playing mind games with MGS4 again that's all.

Oh & by the way just got through playing Super Mario Galaxy for the first time.

*Heaven*

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

A wild Ampillion appears!

It's super effective!

@Arsenal- Actually, the Wii has more traditional console selling features (asides motion control), where as PS3/360 have more non-traditional features (Such as downloadable non-gaming media content, HD video playback, IPTV, Remote play features for PSP/PS3, etc). Now, software might be much more non-traditionally focused, but the hardware doesn't try to branch out into other forms of entertainment (for now.)

Anyway, it's definitely Nintendo's game to lose at this point, I don't see either of the other platforms suddenly exploding in sales without a dramatic price change. As to if it'll be as clear cut as last gen, that's up to Nintendo. If they're aggressive with price drops, instead of waiting to do it in reaction to price drops from other systems, I think it could beat the PS2. If they really just try to go for profit just from the machine though, it might hold back their total numbers.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Imagine you're an executive in a major publisher and you have already invested $100+ Million on PS3 development under the assumption that it would be as dominant as the PS2; how willing are you going to be to admit to anyone (including yourself) that this decision was wrong and you may be risking the financial health of your company?

Yep. It's a clear case of some cognitive dissonance and a healthy dose of denial going on in some of these people's heads.

Call me crazy, but I think it is still anyone's game to win this gen. MS and Sony are just a slim version away from massively boosting their sales if they can execute well enough. We have yet to have any real breakout software hits (aside from WiiSports and Halo which are kind of givens). I agree that Wii is certainly in the driver's seat at this point though, but Nintendo has a lot of pressure to continue to deliver incredible software and innovations because the Wii doesn't have traditional console selling features that the other systems have.

All 3 systems have pretty unique strengths that will allow them to compete long term against eachother. I think konami is 100% correct that it will be a close battle in most regions. I think Wii will win overall, but it will be more like 45-30-25 for the 3 companies in terms of worlwide marketshare. Sony has the hardest job to figure out how to make a profit on 25% marketshare :)

Agreed. One thing to remember is that the last generation sold 165 million consoles altogether, while so far this generation has sold 33 million. At most then, only 20% of the market has been decided, leaving 80% of sales still up in the air. And there's a very good chance that the market will grow this generation -- I'm expecting at least 200 million, which leaves an even wider margin of uncertainty. Of course, Wii slipping to 2nd or 3rd at this point looks extremely unlikely, but I don't think it's out of the question at all.

As for Konami, they're right, but they're also being diplomatic. As a company that's already committed to spreading its resources around all 3 consoles, it's clearly in their best interest to talk nicely about all of them.

HappySqurriel said:

Imagine you're an executive in a major publisher and you have already invested $100+ Million on PS3 development under the assumption that it would be as dominant as the PS2; how willing are you going to be to admit to anyone (including yourself) that this decision was wrong and you may be risking the financial health of your company?

+10 for you.

They should learn from Capcom. Never put all your eggs in the same basket. Make a plan B and C, just in case. Diminishing returns and high budget games do not go well togethe. Do not rely on only 3 IPs or genres.

I think I am still bitter about Konami`s TMNT games and 3D Castlevanias.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

The Konami TMNT Arcade games were great for the time.

I think that Wii will cover about 50% of the total hardware this generation by 2009 and maintain it through 2010.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I think wii is going to outsell PS2 easily.

That said, 2nd place in this generation will also do much better than 2nd place last generation in terms of both system sales and game selection.