By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Eurogamer rates Uncharted: Drake's Fortune-9/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87533&page=1

"Gone is the Day-Glo cartoon cuteness and coin-collecting kleptomania of old, and in comes an action-adventure which sits somewhere between the architectural beauty of Ico and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and the combat intensity of Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War. Far from being just another Tomb Raider, Uncharted, at times, feel like a wish-list of all the best bits of your favourite action games of the past five years."

This is really a great score considering how harsh the magazine is known to be. For comparison, I'll draw up some other scores they've given in the past for the biggest and highest rated games on all the consoles:

Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii): 9/10

Gears of War (X360): 8/10

Resident Evil 4 (Wii): 7/10

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii): 10/10

Elder Scrolls Oblivion (X360): 10/10

Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3): 7/10

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (Wii): 9/10

Motorstorn (PS3): 8/10

Well, that's probably about as many as I'll do. I'm tired.

Hopefully someone didn't post this 2 minutes before I did.

Around the Network

i didnt see any thread about this,anyway good score

IGN.com gave it 9.1/10 stating:

"Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune is the most fun I’ve had in a videogame this year."

I wonder if we get to see reviewers giving insane (9.5-10) scores like we saw for the XBox 360 over the last couple of years.

Uncharted is using about 30% of the Cell's resources on average and the developers will get more efficient in course of time. No game is ever perfect, Gears of War with its bad acting, lacking storyline and some annoying parts like the crappy lightgun tank section is very far from perfect.

Uncharted may well be one of the finest games ever released, but there's always room for improvement and the PS3 technically offers a lot of long term headroom to give graphics artists and game designers even more freedom.

Looking forward to this game! Footage, demo and screenshots look amazing so far!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

So thats:

IGN: 91
Gametap:90
Eurogamer:90
EGM:85

Very good reviews so far.

With regard to 10/10 scores Oblivion received, IMO it's not a perfect game by far. Sure I like Oblivion on the PS3 a lot, looks much better and runs much better on the PS3 than on the XBox 360 (and the 360 version is only 600p).

Testiment of me liking the game a lot is the fact that I played it close to 100 hours already and advanced to level 30.

But for a game like this to receive close to perfect scores for me would mean that the game runs absolutely solid like for example Ratchet & Clank does, would mean they should have squashed more bugs (save every so often just in case you jump somewhere it's impossible to move, this is more an issue in locations where you are unable to fast travel) and I seem to have a far wider imagination for further improvements than the reviewers seem to have.

I can imagine Lair-like elements getting thrown in like being able to fly dragons over large scale areas, a high level of environmental destructability and minor improvements such as for instance minimizing the keys inventory (it can sometimes be quite a drag having to browse through all the keys to get to your repair hammers, you are unlikely to drop the keys as they weigh nothing and you may revisit prior locations). Just some examples to show the game is not really perfect.

Personally I think one reason why the PS3 version of this game received such high scores is mainly because of the fact that the XBox 360 version received off the scale scores and the fact that the PS3 version is much better, thus else highlighting reviewer bias.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

There is no such thing as a perfect game. 10 doesn't mean perfect. Anyway great scores so far hopefully Gamespot actually agrees with everyone else, unlike with Ratch...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
There is no such thing as a perfect game. 10 doesn't mean perfect. Anyway great scores so far hopefully Gamespot actually agrees with everyone else, unlike with Ratch...

Nope. There is a perfect game. Tetris. Believe.

@ ckmlb

There is no such thing as a perfect game. 10 doesn't mean perfect.

Make one mistake on your university exams in Europe and poof there goes your perfect score.

IMO reviewers get rid of those 100% scores. Give references to how the scoring system works, if a game like Halo 3 is a 9.5, Condemned is a 8.5 and Conan is a 7.5, then your copy of R&C: TOD must be broken if you give that game a 7.5.

@ Tetsuo Shima

Nope. There is a perfect game. Tetris. Believe.

The Gameboy version?

Even a basic game like a Tetris clone can be greatly improved on with example multiplayer combat options.

BTW for the most excellent Pacman and Galaga remake I know of, check out Deluxe Pocmon and Warblade here:

http://www.warblade.as/index.asp

PS3 vs 360 sales