By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Mass Effect 1 & 2 ...

Does anyone else think that Mass Effect 1 is better then 2 .... i played the first one again before the second came out and now that ive beaten the second ... IDK i like the first one more then the second. I was Just wondering does anyone else agree. What i really miss Is the detailed lvling system with each class and how you spend the points it just feels like it was dumbed down so it feels like a good chunk of the RPG part of the game was taken away. So does anyone else feel this way, atleast with the whole RPG aspect of it ???

p.s. oh and i also miss the Infinate ammo in the 1st

Around the Network

Yeah, I prefered the no ammo of the first game. Makes more sense when your team doesn't have to worry about it. The help text stuff mentions your gun overheating but that's just a load of rubbish.

I also miss the levelling of the first, although looking back I do wonder how much difference each thing made.

I feel that the decisions you have in this game don't carry the same weight as the decisions in the first. In fact there doesn't seem to be that many decisions to make, and what decisions there are don't seem to have an effect on anything. Maybe they'll have a devastating effect on ME3, but that doesn't exactly appease me.

The story seems somewhat lacking in this on too. Other than building your team there's not that much going on.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good game. A very good game. I'm just one hell of a pessimist :)

While most feel the second one is beyond epic, there are a few in your shoes looking at amazon reviews. Theres a review titled A Step Backwards at three stars and displaces all the dislikes most will understand, and depending on how much you nitpick you'll agree.

His main complaints were: Combat (mainly the ammo vs over heating thing) and the Combat HUD, Equipment reduction/simplification, APC Land Rover vs Planet Scanning (He found Planet Scanning worst), Character Growth and some NPC interactions and lastly Locations.

I'm loving the first and have yet to get to play the second but I will once it drops to $40 or less so I can use my amazon credit to get the game near "free". I don't think user review will matter much. Why? Because the game is already set to sell 3+ million, outselling the first Mass Effect, and of course has critical acclaim so a few nitpicking user reviews are not going to stop anyone from buying this game or bring down the metacritic score.

It's just that simple.

Muffin31190 said:

Does anyone else think that Mass Effect 1 is better then 2 .... i played the first one again before the second came out and now that ive beaten the second ... IDK i like the first one more then the second. I was Just wondering does anyone else agree. What i really miss Is the detailed lvling system with each class and how you spend the points it just feels like it was dumbed down so it feels like a good chunk of the RPG part of the game was taken away. So does anyone else feel this way, atleast with the whole RPG aspect of it ???

p.s. oh and i also miss the Infinate ammo in the 1st

I respectfully disagree.

Except for the infinite ammo.  Bullet spamming FTW.

i missed a few things from the first. especially zooming around in the mako. but i feel the game more than made up overall.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Mass Effect 2 is better in just about every way.

It has more polish. Just walking around Illium listening to the commercials was great. Listening to the ship's crew talk to one another is also excellent.

It has better combat. Most of the combat in ME1 involved walking into a room, shooting 6 guys, and calling it a day. ME2 actually has firefights and challenging ones at that.

It has better level design. ME1 had the same 5 floor designs in every place. ME2 has unique areas and challenges.

It has less busy work. I had to spend 10 to 20 minutes adjusting inventory every 2 missions in ME1. I spent at least 8 hours just roaming planets and trying to overcome stupid mountains in the mako in ME1. None of that was fun to me. It was always the stuff I was on way to that was the fun part and ME2 says "Let's skip the boring stuff and cut straight to the good part."

It has more meaningful interactions. As the sequel, you get to see a TON of effects from decisions you made during the first game. It's wonderful to see someone I saved way back when come back to help me out.

It has more decisions. Mass Effect 1 had a lot of decisions but Mass Effect 2 has an enormous number of them. Heck, I threw a guy out of a skyscraper because he pissed me off. It was great.

I prefer ME1 in many ways. Mainly story.
I hate that ME2 has one of those horrible regenerating health bars. =/

Mining minerals is pretty (pardon the pun) boring. The leveling up abilities doesn't seem very deep compared to ME1. But there's a lot more polish to the game overall. No more damned elevator wait times.

I don't like the level up system aswell...Killing someone in the first gave you experience here well you get nothing?

The main reason why I love ME2 is because of reliving all the great moments of ME1. It feels great to see your team mates again how some persons has developped...

I like to talk with your team mates it only sucks it took so much time. (after every mission talkig with all your team mates was a bit of a pain). Also many of the side missions are boring (espeically those 19 N7 assignments).

the best part of the game is the suicide mission it was very intense and I was always hoping that my teammates would survive...They all did lucky..But it sucks to see so many of my crew died....spoiler (if you not directly went into the mass relay to save your just kidnapped crew some crewmembers will die....So how longer you wait how less crew members survive...Poor Kelly :(). I only had two persons of my original crew X_X.

Nah, ME2 is better...in almost every way. I like music batter in part 1...