By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will wii outsell the PS2? If yes when?

Will wii outsell the PS2? If yes when?

yes 83 38.07%

no 63 28.90%

not sure 23 10.55%

I don't want it to :( 31 14.22%

I want it to :) 18 8.26%

Total:218

I'm sure it will.

The question really is whether or not the Wii will sell well late into its lifespan. I think the answer is an easy yes - assuming the cost comes down enough, I don't see how people will pass up on say, a $120 Wii when next to the next gen console. Just think, what type of people are or were buying the PS2 very late into its lifespan? For what reason are they buying them? Do these people already have a Wii? Will they desire one 3 years from now?

I think a $120 Wii would have great sales as far as 2014. If someone wants a fun, cheap console, what else will they turn to? Will the PS3/360 continue to sell alongside the Wii then? (I guess it's possible, as crazy as it sounds)

People calling the Wii "outdated" are not seeing the situation clearly. The DS is pretty damn outdated in its technology, but that doesn't stop it from selling tons in its 6th year on the market. The Wii will be the choice system for people that want Wii Sports, 2D Mario, Mario Kart and any other Wii series games for the next 4-6 years. Even if these games get sequels, the appeal of these games will not die, as they will be far cheaper to purchase than Nintendo's newer system. Besides, I suspect Nintendo's next system will not be sold primarily on these (older) games, but rather a new IP (similar to the Wii series).

The only way the Wii doesn't end up above the PS2 is if this gen were somehow much more frontloaded than ones previous. I don't believe that's the case - I think the reason the Wii has sold so well so quickly is simply because it has more people to sell to, not that people were in a hurry to get one. This means its tail should be just as impressive as the PS2's is.

If we don't get an announcement for a new DS by the end of this year (TGS?), consider it done for sure. That means a 2012 DS successor, and a 2013 Wii successor.

Around the Network

If the sales goes like this, maybe in 3 or 4 years, but things can change.

Anyway, i voted for "I want it to :) "

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
johnsobas said:
radiantshadow92 said:
no, the next wii will come before it does

eh that's not what the thread is about.  PS2 as at 105 million when PS3 launched, if wii2 launches in 2012 the wii will beat that.  However, the thread is about LTD.

i dont think the wii will get a magical 30 million out of nowhere

Nope.

I don't think it will.

The next Nintendo console will prevent it of doing so.

radiantshadow92 said:
johnsobas said:
radiantshadow92 said:
no, the next wii will come before it does

eh that's not what the thread is about.  PS2 as at 105 million when PS3 launched, if wii2 launches in 2012 the wii will beat that.  However, the thread is about LTD.

i dont think the wii will get a magical 30 million out of nowhere

uh, it's not out of nowhere.  Winning systems have sold really well after the launch of their successors.  The wii is ahead of the PS2 by at least 7 million at this point and the gap is widening not shrinking.  It may not sell as well as the PS2 after the launch of the new system but it doesn't necessarily have to in order to outsell the PS2. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

i think the PS2 will remain the king.

Wii momentum will drop next year for sure and a new nintendo console will release soon.

I think about 2 more years. I don't see a Wii successor coming anytime soon, at least to me right now. It's doing well enough and it would not be a smart move to pull the plug. That is unless the console starts to do horrible, which just seems unlikely to me. I believe the Wii will survive another 2 or 3 years to dethrone the PS2.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

3 years about. Selling faster than the PS2.

Oh and I really hope Wii 2 only comes in 2012. That will give more time for the Wii to get a great library.

I'd say yes. Wii is currently outpacing the PS2 last I checked, so there's no reason to believe it wouldn't eventually outsell it unless Nintendo completely cuts the life of Wii short by releasing a new console or completely quit releasing games for the console. My prediction is for 2014. For this to happen though, Nintendo really should not release a new console until at least 2012, maybe even later.