By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will wii outsell the PS2? If yes when?

Will wii outsell the PS2? If yes when?

yes 83 38.07%

no 63 28.90%

not sure 23 10.55%

I don't want it to :( 31 14.22%

I want it to :) 18 8.26%

Total:218

I've been saying this a couple of times. But I say yes. It will do it between  2012-2013

Who here thinks the same way! and who doesn't?

Also my predictions

end of 2010 - 85 million (+20 million)
end of 2011 -105 million ( +20 million)
end of 2012(wii 2 comes out in november)- 122 million(+17 million)
end of 2013 - 136 million ( +14 million) 
end of 2014 - 143 million (+7 million)
end of 2015 - 146 million (+3 million)

Though if wii 2 comes out in 2011. It won't do it. If nintendo keeps releaseing a new system every 5 years. It will come 2011
But if nintendo pulls a NES and make it a 6 year gap like NES ->SNES It'll do well. Also getting release dates for America not Japan

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

Yes.

In more 3/4 years.

this is a really tough question because it looks like it is gonna be really close. The real question for me is how much more is the ps2 gonna sell? It's at around 135 million, can it make it to 145? 150?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'd say it will definitely outsell PS2, when? Not sure? Few years?

The Wii really has something for everyone, I've never really seen so many different people get a console before. Even my dad has one and he criticized me for playing video games my entire life.

Only thing I can really think of to make the Wii not sell more than ps2 is if Nintendo launches a new console.

PSN: HobsonA

XBL: HobsonA

no, the next wii will come before it does

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
no, the next wii will come before it does

eh that's not what the thread is about.  PS2 as at 105 million when PS3 launched, if wii2 launches in 2012 the wii will beat that.  However, the thread is about LTD.

Looking at the charts, Wii has outsold the PS2 since the beginning, but I'm uncertain whether it'll pass it or not. First, because I don't think the Wii will have the same lifespan the PS2 had; second, PS2 is still selling around the world, while Wii may be left aside when its successor comes.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

it seems unlikely to me, remember the wii was doomed?

Maneco said:

Looking at the charts, Wii has outsold the PS2 since the beginning, but I'm uncertain whether it'll pass it or not. First, because I don't think the Wii will have the same lifespan the PS2 had; second, PS2 is still selling around the world, while Wii may be left aside when its successor comes.

remember, the ps2 was in japan only for about a year.  The comparison is unfair, but even with a fair comparison the wii is still ahead.

johnsobas said:
Maneco said:

remember, the ps2 was in japan only for about a year.  The comparison is unfair, but even with a fair comparison the wii is still ahead.

well wii is selling faster than the DS and that had a 3 month diffrence in its releases. December for Japan and March for the west

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.