By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII 70% Review Score from UK PSM3.

I have find it very hard to believe that ff13 is only 9% better then last rebellion

Around the Network

So do I. Lol.

Final Fantasy XIII prediction: There will be sixes and maybe fives amongst the review scores. Metacritic score will drop to low 80's, maybe even high 70's. JRPGs this generation have struggled to score higher than a metacric score of 80%. FFXIII has had mixed reviews. Just you all wait and see.

The more critical reviews should not be ignored. Ignore the 100% review scores. Look at the lower scores. If a game gets 10's, 9's and 8's. The reviews with 8's and 9's would let you know what is wrong with the game. 10's would have little or no criticism of the game. Every game has its faults.

makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Who else thinks that's a bit low, and it was judged overly harshly because of the name?

Honestly, a new IP with similar gameplay and graphics would be getting 9s and 10s even if it was linear and the story stank.

Considering FFX-2's metacritic rating... a game getting a LOWER score because of the FF name would be a first.

X-2 could've easily been given the stigma of a FF spin-off, like Crystal Chronicles and other games.

Honestly, based on what I've seen from videos and played from the demo, XIII does not deserve similar scores to Star Ocean 4.

X-2 scored over a 90... i believe.  Which is... well it's X-2.

*slaps self*

For some reason I took from your inital comment that FFX-2 scored abnormally low, which looking back makes little sense.

Hm, well, I guess since Square went from being on top of the world to the lackluster X-2, to the MMO XI, to XII, a game that received heavy fan backlash, to the incredibly hyped XIII, maybe reviewers went in with a more critical eye than most games are accustomed to. S etting the game up to fail, so to speak.

Granted I haven't played the game, but had this come from another publisher and had it been called the Concluding Paragraph or something, I doubt it would've scored a 7 when games like Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery, and Eternal Sonata all score around there.

It may just have to do with inherent qualities honestly.  For as we know, Final Fantasy 13 does shed some of the "inherent qualties" of an RPG.

For example, although Little Big Planet far exceeds most platformers in a lot of areas... in the one inherent quality of a Platformer... physics it fails.

It has a complicated physics engine however the controls itself are way too floaty.  Granted LBP was a media darling... but in reality it probably shouldn't of been.

FF13 may have just gotten a lower score for not having plenty of the vital "inherent qualties" of RPGs, such as leveling, exploration, etc.

Which is an odd choice in an RPG, since unlike physics in a platformer it doesn't effect your entire expierence.

However, if something is daring and changes yet doesnt come through as extrodinary and instead just good in critics eyes... sometimes they can be over harsh on it.

Then again, I take that back I doubt many of the videogame reviewers out their take videogames critically and instead just say "On a level of 1-10 what was my enjoyment!" then right the article from there.

weaveworld said:
Nice comments on the site. Does seem a bit low for the 'quality' of the game.

Definitely agree. A game as polished as FFXIII shouldn't have such a low review score. Guess everyone wants to shoot in their RPGs as well nowadays

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

With the way Square has been performing of late I'm not too surprised.

routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
I don't get why JRPGs get hammered for being "staple" and "need to evolve" or something, yet FPS gets off with that. And MAG scoring over FFXIII? Yeah, right!

Shhh, don't you know that FPS don't need evolution to be fun and that they can all be the same thing, or a downgrade from PC FPS's from the late 90's, early 2000? :P 

JRPG's have to evolve in each game, other wise the genre is dead, doomed, put into a grave, tossed aside and burned at the stake. 

Totally. The double standards with these "professionals" are so profound and annoying, it's getting actually funny.

It has always been like this, but now it's getting even more frustrating, since this feeling is also spreading to gamers themselves. If most of them stopped for a few moments to take a deep to the games they enjoy, they would see that they're pretty much built upon the same pillars that old games from their genre were built as well.

In the future, when current "fan favourite" genres are no longer relevant to the gaming community, we'll see how the fans from those genres will feel when they get the same double standards against them. 

The most annoying of all is this paradox:

Gamers who love JRPGs and have been playing them for a long time, don't really want a big leap or significant changes to their RPGs. People who don't play them / don't really like them, complain about them being "stuck in the past" and "archaic". Oddly, Developers try to expand their franchises to more people, listening to the latter group.

In the end, the latter, still don't get to buy/play/enjoy them, although the developer has altered the formula, whereas the first are alienated by these changes. Thus, the genre keeps bleeding it's own fanbase, while completely falling flat on expanding to an audience who'll never get into the genre after all.

PS: I've quoted you more than 10x anyone else in these forums

Very nicely put!

Sadly enough i belong to the 'first' group...

SubSenix said:
lestatdark said:
routsounmanman said:
I don't get why JRPGs get hammered for being "staple" and "need to evolve" or something, yet FPS gets off with that. And MAG scoring over FFXIII? Yeah, right!

Shhh, don't you know that FPS don't need evolution to be fun and that they can all be the same thing, or a downgrade from PC FPS's from the late 90's, early 2000? :P 

JRPG's have to evolve in each game, other wise the genre is dead, doomed, put into a grave, tossed aside and burned at the stake. 

Yeah but this is only in the West like this....

Famitsu loves the game like hell and most of the people who played it liked it too,me including

But the trend in the West is >  More Gore,more Action and more shooting = Awesome game
Look at Mass Effect 2....They were happy that the game is now more Gears of War than a RPG....I mean wtf?
More Action = better Game?Even if its supposed to be a RPG?

Crap West and Idiot Reviewers

Wonder what they will give Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity in the West.
There we have guns and it has a completely new(a little bit complicated) System.
Im currently playing it and like it nearly as much as FF13
But probably it will get 3% and LOLOLOL because the chars look Emo and not like Gorillas on steroids and cant make headshots! -.-

Even though imo ME has more Role Playing in it than any FF game could hope for. Stats and leveling is not Role Playing.

Mass Effect 2 was not a role playing game either. It was a TPS with very minor RPG elements. Was for the better though since when the game was more like a WRPG, it was worse.

Wagram said:
Mass Effect 2 was not a role playing game either. It was a TPS with very minor RPG elements. Was for the better though since when the game was more like a WRPG, it was worse.

This thread is not for discussing this. But I'll PM you.