By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Getting a gaming rig. Buy or Build?

Nice pictures, and I'm happy it all went well :D Make sure you get a system so you can actually test it! And I expect to see you on Steam in the future.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network
Epoch said:

Damn you.... I put the ram and CPU in before installing the mobo to the case. It wasn't too bad though.

The first time I tried to turn it on, not much happened. Turns out I hadn't connected the power to the CPU.  Now it turns on and asks me to insert a boot disc, which I don't have yet =(.  Still waiting on my school to give me an access code for Windows 7 pro.  Probably took me 3 hours to put together, I had an issue getting the graphics card to attach to the case because it was just slightly out of line with the screw holes in the chassis.  Other than that it went pretty well.

You still need an install disc, do you have that?

Anyway, its just easier but not impossible to do it.

Tease.

Killergran said:
Nice pictures, and I'm happy it all went well :D Make sure you get a system so you can actually test it! And I expect to see you on Steam in the future.

=) Thanks man.  I'm itchin to get Windows so I can try this thing out.  Recommend me some games?

Squil:  The acces code from my school will allow me to download an .iso file of the Windows disc.  I then have to burn that to a DVD and use it.  Kind of a hassle, but saves me $150 so its worth it to me.

Try the THQ compete pack for $50 U.S. on steam. Its got quite a few games to fill out your collection quickly.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Try the THQ compete pack for $50 U.S. on steam. Its got quite a few games to fill out your collection quickly.

Sweet deal, will do.  I wasn't expecting to have it so soon, NCIX really delivered in the speed department.  I'm tempted to pirate a copy of windows 7 and just use it til I get my real access code =P.  Would be against my moral standards though, and I would probably feel slightly dirty for a few minutes lol.

Around the Network

For a couple of hours longer you can buy the Total War games for 66% off.

That means all of them (that are released on Steam) for $20 (I think) or Empire: Total War for $10. I'd go for that.

Just remember that on Steam, there are deals all the time. Just wait, and your favorite game will be available for the amount you want to pay for it.

This is invisible text!

Epoch said:
Squilliam said:

Sweet deal, will do.  I wasn't expecting to have it so soon, NCIX really delivered in the speed department.  I'm tempted to pirate a copy of windows 7 and just use it til I get my real access code =P.  Would be against my moral standards though, and I would probably feel slightly dirty for a few minutes lol.

Haha nice. But you can install it without activating it and thats still legal. Then you just wait for the code.

Tease.

Epoch said:
Killergran said:

=) Thanks man.  I'm itchin to get Windows so I can try this thing out.  Recommend me some games?

Squil:  The acces code from my school will allow me to download an .iso file of the Windows disc.  I then have to burn that to a DVD and use it.  Kind of a hassle, but saves me $150 so its worth it to me.

Meh, there's nothing to it really.

Now scouring the net for a workaround to the screw up that was the Windows 7 Student Deal launch. . . . ew

Epoch said:
Squilliam said:
Epoch said:

So I got my parts today and have begun putting the stuff together. So far its pretty easy, some of the stuff seems like I had to push harder than I would have expected to get it into place. 

My question is, how do I attach the motherboard to the case? I only have metal standoffs, is that ok for my motherboard? Some sites say motherboards may use non-conducting standoffs, but I don't have any.  There are no instructions in the Mobo manual, so I'm kinda wary of shorting the thing out.

Any advice?

The ones that you are given are fine. Enthusiasts tend to take things to the extreme and often without care to what you actually need. The motherboards are engineered to expect the screws that they give you with the motherboard. I wouldn't use anything but the same. I suspect that if they are insulating then it may allow static to build up on the motherboard.

I hope you're installing the motherboard first before you put any components on the board. Its just easier that way.

Damn you.... I put the ram and CPU in before installing the mobo to the case. It wasn't too bad though.

The first time I tried to turn it on, not much happened. Turns out I hadn't connected the power to the CPU.  Now it turns on and asks me to insert a boot disc, which I don't have yet =(.  Still waiting on my school to give me an access code for Windows 7 pro.  Probably took me 3 hours to put together, I had an issue getting the graphics card to attach to the case because it was just slightly out of line with the screw holes in the chassis.  Other than that it went pretty well.

For those interested:  This is what $1500 gets you in Canada

Motherboard partly assembled.

In the case

Almost there

Tower assembled!

Thanks again for all your help guys. Went much better than I expected and I would definitely do it again. It would probably take me half the time to put another one together.

The next time you rebuild, it probably will take you half the time or less since you're familiar with the process.

If or when you decide to get into overclocking, you will be rebuilding (replace stock CPU cooler, quality thermal interface material) since most decent aftermarket CPU coolers will require you to pull the motherboard (have a back plate for mounting). While it's out, look up examples of cable management online to see how you can arrange all wiring behind the motherboard or neatly zip-tied against flat surfaces of the case. All excess SATA cable lengths should be rolled and zip-tied out of the way as well. It's not just for aesthetics; good cable management will help airflow, necessary for air cooled overclocked systems.

Personally, unless this PC is your toy and you don't actually need it for productivity (a novel idea), I'd just leave it running at stock clocks or with a mild overclock if you can keep your temps low. Lian Li cases are very nice, but don't exactly have the best airflow for extreme overclocking anyway.

greenmedic88 said:
Epoch said:

For those interested:  This is what $1500 gets you in Canada

Motherboard partly assembled.

In the case

Almost there

Tower assembled!

Thanks again for all your help guys. Went much better than I expected and I would definitely do it again. It would probably take me half the time to put another one together.

The next time you rebuild, it probably will take you half the time or less since you're familiar with the process.

If or when you decide to get into overclocking, you will be rebuilding (replace stock CPU cooler, quality thermal interface material) since most decent aftermarket CPU coolers will require you to pull the motherboard (have a back plate for mounting). While it's out, look up examples of cable management online to see how you can arrange all wiring behind the motherboard or neatly zip-tied against flat surfaces of the case. All excess SATA cable lengths should be rolled and zip-tied out of the way as well. It's not just for aesthetics; good cable management will help airflow, necessary for air cooled overclocked systems.

Personally, unless this PC is your toy and you don't actually need it for productivity (a novel idea), I'd just leave it running at stock clocks or with a mild overclock if you can keep your temps low. Lian Li cases are very nice, but don't exactly have the best airflow for extreme overclocking anyway.

At this point I doubt I'll be doing any overclocking, but you never know what can happen in a couple years.  I just strapped whatever cables I didn't use up top in front of the power supply.  I didn't really think about strapping them to the side of the case to facilitate airflow.

I will mostly be using this PC for school/work stuff and games, so I think it'll be fine without overclocking for now.  Thanks for the tips =)