By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the iPhone kill traditional handhelds?

While 25 million is nothing to sneeze at Gameloft currently has 53 games on the iphone. Pulling that kind of revenue from that type of output does not seem that great to me.

Around the Network

The iPhone won't.

But smartphones, and most likely Android, will, in a generation or so.

The distribution models are better than what Nintendo can offer, and the prices are more reasonable than the PSPGo.

Its just a matter of building a bigger better install base and better product management across multiple phones. Once that happens, the money will be lucrative enough.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

HappySqurriel said:

I hate to be blunt, but the entire iPhone-app market is heading for a massive crash because of how unsustainable of a market it is.

100% agreed--the market will collapse at some point, and not just for games as there are simply too many of them fighting for, ultimately, too few dollars.

PCs haven't killed off consoles, so I would say I doubt that traditional handhelds would get killed off.

I could simply say "it doesn't have buttons, how can you play a decent fighting game like Street Fighter?" but no, I won't do that, instead I will say that Apple doesn't have a big support from bigger third parties (Square Enix, Level-5, Atlus, Capcom etc).

Also, the DS and the PSP has something to make them more representative as a portable gaming device, something to characterize them and make them even more strong than the Iphone could ever be: big first party games

My answer? Of course not.

Around the Network
Hisiru said:

I could simply say "it doesn't have buttons, how can you play a decent fighting game like Street Fighter?" but no, I won't do that, instead I will say that Apple doesn't have a big support from bigger third parties (Square Enix, Level-5, Atlus, Capcom etc).

Also, the DS and the PSP has something to make them more representative as a portable gaming device, something to characterize them and make them even more strong than the Iphone could ever be: big first party games

Actually Square Enix, Atlus and Capcom all have games on the iPhone.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

loadedstatement said:
Hisiru said:

I am talking about a new Mega Man, new FFs, Dragon Quest and big support. Iphone doesn't have a big third party support (not even close to the DS or PSP).

Hisiru said:
loadedstatement said:
Hisiru said:

I am talking about a new Mega Man, new FFs, Dragon Quest and big support. Iphone doesn't have a big third party support (not even close to the DS or PSP).

Well capcom and other japanese Devs are developing established and new franchises on the device.. If I remember correctly, it just got a remake of ghosts & goblins.

I really don't want to play list wars here, but I urge you to go to toucharcade.com or google "capcom square iPhone game games" or whatever. The list will suprise you. You need to go do some research though, because the support is there, if not new.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
Hisiru said:
loadedstatement said:
Hisiru said:

Well capcom and other japanese Devs are developing established and new franchises on the device.. If I remember correctly, it just got a remake of ghosts & goblins.

I really don't want to play list wars here, but I urge you to go to toucharcade.com or google "capcom square iPhone game games" or whatever. The list will suprise you. You need to go do some research though, because the support is there, if not new.

I had an Iphone, but that's ok, let's use this list you suggested me:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/21/reuters-capcom-has-more-than-10-iphone-games-planned-for-fy09/ 

Resident Evil: Degeneration- This is a game that you can find in a java based cellphone but now with better graphics, but still, it's a pile of crap (on any platform). DS had a port of the RE: DIrector's Cut game with cool extras (which is very respectable and the quality is miles ahead the RE: Degeneration). The PSP will receive it's very own RE game. Also, I think  you should play it before you call it a good support. The controls are really bad basically because the Iphone doesn't have real buttons (just try to move or escape the zombies).

Mega Man 2- This is a port of an extremely old game, fits with the App store or any other Digital Distribution Service but it's irrelevant and nothing that we can call "good support". The DS has new Mega Man games like Mega Man Zx, Mega Man ZX Advent and Mega Man Starfoce series (3 games) and the PSP has great games like Mega Man Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up.
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo- Another port of this game? Why? Why can't the Iphone have new and significant games like Mega Man Zx or Mega Man Powered Up?
Ghosts & goblins- This should be the 100° remake/port for the Iphone and the 1000° remake/port for this game, I don't think it's something that you can call "good support" or "big effort".
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As I said before, I had an Iphone and the support from third parties don't even come close to what we see on the DS and PSP, if you mix this fact with the fact that the DS and the PSP has a big first party support, it will be hard to think that the Iphone can kill the traditional handhelds. If you plan to play games, I won't recommend the Iphone as a portable gaming device.
The Iphone has 2 crucial problems that can't be denied: Lack of big and relevant support (like a good quantity of new and good games from big third parties) and lack of physical buttons (which makes the gameplay really bad for some genres).

no, they dont have the market share to do it.

like the pc market iphone marketshare worldwide it's minuscule and will continue to be.