By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FFVIII remake more likely?

Considereing the recent news that FFVII would be very difficult to remake for PS3 (in fact SE believe it would be damn near impossible), does this leave FFVIII open as the next likely candidate for a remake? The reason that Se think FFVII would be too difficult to remake is that there are too many villages and it would take too much time to create them all using old methods, but would this apply to FFVIII which is a somewhat later game that used different development tools?

I think it is ever more likely considering there was a PS2 tech demo, this proves that SE are capable of remaking FFVIII, it's whether or not they will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VREs1rAq9bU

Do not forget that FFVIII is either second or third best selling FF game (I forget which).

Around the Network

no...if anything I think it shuts the door on ANY ps3 remakes.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

LordChris915 said:

Considereing the recent news that FFVII would be very difficult to remake for PS3 (in fact SE believe it would be damn near impossible), does this leave FFVIII open as the next likely candidate for a remake? The reason that Se think FFVII would be too difficult to remake is that there are too many villages and it would take too much time to create them all using old methods, but would this apply to FFVIII which is a somewhat later game that used different development tools?

I think it is ever more likely considering there was a PS2 tech demo, this proves that SE are capable of remaking FFVIII, it's whether or not they will.

Do not forget that FFVIII is either second or third best selling FF game (I forget which).

Considering the issues that make VII impossible are the same if not greater in VIII i doubt it.

Max20 said:
LordChris915 said:

Considering the issues that make VII impossible are the same if not greater in VIII i doubt it.

My thinking is that since there exists a PS2 tech demo and the game was made somewhat later on than FFVII, the chances of it being more next gen friendly are higher.

|:

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

well there's a ff7 PS3 tech demo...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

LordChris915 said:
Max20 said:
LordChris915 said:

My thinking is that since there exists a PS2 tech demo and the game was made somewhat later on than FFVII, the chances of it being more next gen friendly are higher.

I see your thinking but the world and villages in VIII were practically the same size as those in VII, as i remember the Gardens were probably even bigger then the towns in VII so if they are bitching about the size of VII(3 discs) then VIII(4 discs) would probably have the same pitfalls.

Ajescent said:
well there's a ff7 PS3 tech demo...

I believe that the ff7 tech demo was purely a CGI cutscene whereas the PS2 ff8 tech demo included character models using an in-game engine to create a cutscene.

A subtle but important difference!

ok...I still think it's not gonna happen.

Max20 said:
LordChris915 said:
Max20 said:
LordChris915 said:

I see your thinking but the world and villages in VIII were practically the same size as those in VII, as i remember the Gardens were probably even bigger then the towns in VII so if they are bitching about the size of VII(3 discs) then VIII(4 discs) would probably have the same pitfalls.

The fact that it was on four disks may as you say lead it into the same pittfalls, however if the method used to create the game is more compatable with modern methods, it may not make a difference.

It's unlikely to happen due to the smaller fanbase, however I do not think it is out of the running by a long shot, I think that since 7 is so popular yet so difficult to produce, the next logical step is to try and release the game that was 2nd best but is easier to make.