By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - nintendo might unveil a new platform at gdc

Is there actually going to be an official Nintendo booth/presence ? (not Metroid developer, but Nintendo top guys)

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

I don't want a new Nintendo Home console until 2015(I know its long but I am happy with the Wii)

I honestly am done with my D.S and want a new handheld so hopefully its a new handheld.(I also hope thats its not called D.S 2)

Umm...How about the return of the Gameboy?

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

isnt it to soon for a new ds?

New handheld with 4 screens!

Around the Network

It will not be a new DS. The DS is still selling amazingly well. Just in December the DS sold over 3 million units of hardware and was only topped by the Wii.

It will not be a Wii 2. There is no need for Nintendo to chase Sony and Microsoft in the HD department. The Wii is the best selling platform this gen and does not show signs of slowing down. Even if sales do slow down they can release more colors or drop the price or bundle the Wii with software. There's still a lot of sales left in the Wii. Also the Wii remote has not shown all of it's potential and nor has the Wii motion plus add on. Games designed around both of those devices could and would be really interesting. A game like Command and Conquer, a strategy RPG using the IR, or a Third Person shooter like Second Sight using the IR could be good. There's a lot more software to develop on the Wii.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

If it is a proper new platform, DS is more likely. The target audience of DSiXL isn't going to merge with early adopters for a potential new platform, so they should be free to launch XL worldwide throughout the year as they will, but launch a new DS later on.

Might make a bit of sense. It would co-incide with that rumor for a whole new pokemon generation, as well as the general lack of announced Nintendo games for DS.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Rumor.

bmmb1 said:

Possible scenario - they announce a more expensive Wii2 (with HD and a vitality sensor system) that is completely backwards compatible that will come out around mid-2011. When it comes out, people will have the choice of either buying an (initially) $350 Wii2 or a (then) $150 Wii. Any games you buy for Wii will not be obsolete.

You announce new hardware like that as late as possible before launch. Otherwise all the momentum goes out of your current system - what developer would publish major, system-selling games on an admitted dead platform?

The major publishers would already know the date and rough capability of any hypothetical hardware launching in the next two years, just not publicly. What would Nintendo have to gain by a public announcement?

Would they consider the Vitality Sensor a new platform?