By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I think a episodic Final Fantasy VII Remake could be a good thing (minor spoilers).

Tagged games:

Ok, I was disappointed at first when I heard the news, but after thinking about it, I believe that good things can come out from this decision.

First off, Final Fantasy VII is a huge, huge game and developing a remake of it would take a very long period of time, considering that they are rebuilding it from the ground up, graphics, full 3D environments, combat, voice acting, side quest and so on. Moreover, they want to change and add some parts to it, so they have to do even more work. Releasing it in a "standard" way could mean waiting years and years and Square might not see the investment worth it along the road. 

By releasing it in a episodic way I think Square can truly achieve their (and our) vision of the game, and they can guarantee a high quality release in a relatively short amount of time. Also they can receive important feedback with every episode and they can reinvest the money earned to make the game even better. Of course pricing is the key here and I hope they won't fuck up in this regard.

I know that it sounds a greedy and anti-consumer choice, but I believe that Square is dealing with a lot of pressure right now and, while they care about fans (they wouldn't do this remake otherwise), they also care about their investment, because I bet this is going to cost them a lot of money.

I want to close with a prediction: from what they said about making Midgar much bigger and explorable, I'm pretty sure that the first episode will be only about Midgar, maybe until Kalm Town and Cloud's flashback. I bet that this first episode will come out by this time next year.



Around the Network

It's good because I can give SE even more money for that juicy Soul Reaver remake.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
It's good because I can give SE even more money for that juicy Sould Reaver remake.


Don't say that, you are going to make me sad :(



Risthel said:
vivster said:
It's good because I can give SE even more money for that juicy Soul Reaver remake.


Don't say that, you are going to make me sad :(

They're gonna make the Soul Reaver remake episodic so we can give even more money for the Soul Reaver 2 remake :D



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Risthel said:

By releasing it in a episodic way I think Square can truly achieve their (and our) vision of the game, and they can guarantee a high quality release in a relatively short amount of time. Also they can receive important feedback with every episode and they can reinvest the money earned to make the game even better. Of course pricing is the key here and I hope they won't fuck up in this regard.

Don't expect any less than $60 per game. And perhaps people should stop using the term "episodic" because that's one of the biggest sources of the confusion. Episodic is more of a Telltale games term, where you get 2-3 hours of a game for a smaller price, that's not a self contained full game experience. That's why people expect shorter games or that the price will be lower. Square didn't say "episodes". They said "multi-game series". Sounds familiar? It should.



"Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.”

That is how they said they are going to do it. Expect full priced full size games for each entry. Also expect the FF7 jurney to be a lot more fleshed out than it originally was, as you mentioned. Because they said that they not only don't want to cut out content, but they want to add even more to it. So the first game could indeed take place in Midgar. A much more fleshed out Midgar where we may see things like the other Sectors we didn't see before. While the second game may be open world. Etc.

I think many of the people working on the project genuinely care about the biggest and most influential title of their carreers, and really want to make it as good as possible. They said their reason for starting it now was because they are all getting older, and if they're ever going to do it, now is the time.

If each game is good enough and worth the price, then I will buy it. I've played several good muti-game series' before that I wouldn't want shortened down into one single game experience. .hack//G.U. for example.





Around the Network
Hiku said:

Don't expect any less than $60 per game. And perhaps people should stop using the term "episodic" because that's one of the biggest sources of the confusion. Episodic is more of a Telltale games term, where you get 2-3 hours of a game for a smaller price, that's not a self contained full game experience. That's why people expect shorter games or that the price will be lower. Square didn't say "episodes". They said "multi-game series". Sounds familiar? It should.



"Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.”

That is how they said they are going to do it. Expect full priced full games for each entry. Also expect the FF7 jurney to be a lot more fleshed out than it originally was, as you mentioned. Because they said that they not only don't want to cut out content, but they want to add even more to it. So the first game could indeed take place in Midgar. A much more fleshed out Midgar where we may see things like the other Sectors we didn't see before. While the second game may be open world. Etc.

I think many of the people working on the project genuinely care about the biggest and most influential title of their carreers, and really want to make it as good as possible. They said their reason for starting it now was because they are all getting older, and if they're ever going to do it, now is the time.


Final Fantasy VII...the series :O

 

Before Crisis remade
Crisis Core Remade
Final Fantasy VII: Cloud Returns
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children remade into a game
Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy VII Genesis (working title)

 



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

BasilZero said:

Final Fantasy VII...the series :O

 

Before Crisis remade
Crisis Core Remade
Final Fantasy VII: Cloud Returns
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children remade into a game
Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy VII Genesis (working title)

If FF7R is successful, then who knows. We might see remakes of some of those games as well. lol



Hiku said:
Risthel said:

By releasing it in a episodic way I think Square can truly achieve their (and our) vision of the game, and they can guarantee a high quality release in a relatively short amount of time. Also they can receive important feedback with every episode and they can reinvest the money earned to make the game even better. Of course pricing is the key here and I hope they won't fuck up in this regard.

Don't expect any less than $60 per game. And perhaps people should stop using the term "episodic" because that's one of the biggest sources of the confusion. Episodic is more of a Telltale games term, where you get 2-3 hours of a game for a smaller price, that's not a self contained full game experience. That's why people expect shorter games or that the price will be lower. Square didn't say "episodes". They said "multi-game series". Sounds familiar? It should.



"Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.”

That is how they said they are going to do it. Expect full priced full size games for each entry. Also expect the FF7 jurney to be a lot more fleshed out than it originally was, as you mentioned. Because they said that they not only don't want to cut out content, but they want to add even more to it. So the first game could indeed take place in Midgar. A much more fleshed out Midgar where we may see things like the other Sectors we didn't see before. While the second game may be open world. Etc.

I think many of the people working on the project genuinely care about the biggest and most influential title of their carreers, and really want to make it as good as possible. They said their reason for starting it now was because they are all getting older, and if they're ever going to do it, now is the time.

So you think they are actually going to make full fledged games for each episode at 60 dollars/euro... Could happen of course but I think it would be a very risky move, you can make every "episode" as big as you want and well worth 60 dollars, but it will always going to feel like a section of a game. The situation with XIII trilogy is different because after finishing the XIII no one expected more of it. After that they decided to continue with the saga. In the end XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are three different games while FFVII Remake is only one. 

When the game is finished and they'll release the complete edition they can't expect people to spend 180, 240 dollars for a game, even if it's the biggest game ever developed.



The game was huge for its time, and released on 3 discs. Keeping up with the times, I guess the same goes for the remake. The difference being, we may have to wait for the next part which won't be fun. I wish they'd just release it all at once. I'd wait. I've waited 4+ years for Zelda U.



Hiku said:
BasilZero said:

Final Fantasy VII...the series :O

 

Before Crisis remade
Crisis Core Remade
Final Fantasy VII: Cloud Returns
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children remade into a game
Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy VII Genesis (working title)

If FF7R is successful, then who knows. We might see remakes of some of those games as well. lol

Is there any doubt?



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.