Japan Third Party Top 30 2020 vs 2021— Nocturnal (@noshten) May 30, 2021
- This will be the first year since 1994 where a Nintendo system will represent over 90% of third party sales in the Japanese market
- Unlikely for the PS4/PS5 to be able to surpass 1 million sales without some major announcements pic.twitter.com/z9p9lQe9w3
So at the moment the best selling PS5 games during the first 7 months of the console on the market have sold at most 50K physically.
Resident Evil: Village is struggling to sell-out its initial physical shipment on the PS5, Demon Souls and Miles Morales are the biggest Sony published efforts and both games are around 50K sales at best.
For now the only "major" exclusive from a third party for the PS5 is FFVII Remake Integrade everything else is cross-gen Nier Replicant didn't even have a PS5 version. Software sales are going to be worse than X360 during 2005 and 2006 in Japan.
X360 Top Selling Games 2005-2006
- Blue Dragon (Microsoft) - 135.240
- Dead or Alive 4 (Tecmo) - 103.307
- Ridge Racer 6 (Namco) - 72.129
- Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2 (Tecmo) - 57.060
- Dead Rising (Capcom) - 49.978
- Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Capcom) - 44.854
- Ninety-Nine Nights (Microsoft) - 38.019
- Rumble Roses XX (Konami) - 29.187
- Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft) - 25.058
- Culdcept Saga (Bandai Namco) - 23.947
Struggling to think of a PS5 game in 2021 that will be able to clear 100K..
If you don't believe the current situation will have profound impact on Japanese third party relationships you are kidding yourself. Combined with a lot of senior people leaving Sony Japan and their market share will continue to decline without serious investment.