Here's the GI.biz 2020 Annual report for Australia.
- Sales of video games in Australia surged 35% during the pandemic year.
- 15.8 million boxed and digital video games were sold in 2020. Unlike other markets, the dominant sector was the boxed games business, with 8.5 million games sold (+15% YoY)
- Digital sales were 7.3 million (+63% YoY).
- Excluding title from publishers that don't share digital numbers (Nintendo, Betehesda, etc), 58% of sales came via download stores (+45% YoY).
- The best-selling game in Australia was Animal Crossing: New Horizons, reaching the top without digital sales. #2 was Grand Theft Auto 5, a game originally released in 2013. In fact, GTA 5 sales were up 23% over the year before.
- #5 is Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, which sold 88% more copies in 2020 (boxed only) than it did in 2019.
- The top publisher of the year (digital and physical) was Nintendo (16% market share), and if we just count physical sales, that number jumps to 29%.
- In terms of digital, Ubisoft was the top publisher with a 17% market share.
- 1.2 million dedicated games devices (including handhelds) were sold in 2020, up 49% YoY.
- #1 is Switch (up 88% YoY), #2 PS4 (down 22% YoY), #3 is PS5, #4 is Xbox One (down 42% YoY).
- The PS4 DualShock 4 controller was the most successful controller.
GSD Annual 2020 Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)
1 Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
2 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
5 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
6 FIFA 21 (EA)
7 Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
8 The Last of Us Part 2 (Sony)
9 NBA 2K20 (2K Games)
10 NBA 2K21 (2K Games)
11 Ghost of Tsushima (Sony)
12 Just Dance 2020 (Ubisoft)
13 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
14 FIFA 20 (EA)
15 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
16 Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)*
17 Cyberpunk 2077 (Bandai Namco/CD Projekt)*
18 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (Activision)
19 Minecraft: Switch edition (Mojang)*
20 Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)*
*Digital data not available