I did a full rewatch of all of the older series from late last year till June this year, so this one is easy for me. My personal ranking:
- Voyager- Unpopular opinion I know, but I've always liked Voyager best, ever since I was a kid. Great cast of characters (there isn't a single main character that I don't like, though Kes is probably the weakest of the bunch, trading her in for 7 of 9 was the best decision they could have made), interesting setting, love the heavy focus on the Borg, best set designs, best uniform design of all the series (DS9 only used it for the first 2 seasons before they switched to the TNG movie uniforms)
- DS9- I did not like DS9 much at all when I was younger, but as an adult it speaks to me so much more now. Alot of the characters that I didn't like originally have grown on me over time, like Bashir and Quark. Love the heavy focus on religion/faith vs science, and the focus on war, neither of which is seen much in other Trek series.
- TNG- Most people's favorite I suspect, I personally find it a bit overrated though. First 2 seasons were a bit of a slog to get through on my recent rewatch, there was too much TOS influence in those 2 seasons which really dragged it down. Gets better on the later seasons due to less influence from Roddenberry. I like most of the TNG characters, but TNG imo has the 2 worst Doctors of all the series, Crusher and Polaski, one of which was insufferably boring while the other was a poor copy of McCoy.
- Enterprise- Very underrated show. First 2 seasons were a bit hit and miss, but the show got way better on 3rd season with the Xindi arc and stayed good on season 4, but sadly the first 2 seasons had already done their damage and caused the show to bleed too many viewers, so the show was cancelled before it got the full 7 seasons it deserved. Mostly good characters, not a big fan of Phlox though (3rd worst Doctor after Crusher and Polaski), and Hoshi and Travis were hit and miss at times, but I liked the rest of them.
- TOS- By the time I was born TOS was already quite old and dated, and it has only got older and more dated since then. I was just never able to get into it, everything from the design, to the effects, to the acting feels corny and dated to me. I like most of the TOS movies, aside from the 1st one, with Star Trek 4 being my overall favorite Star Trek movie (followed closely by First Contact), but the TOS show just isn't for me.
- Discovery- Saw one episode of it and absolutely hated it. Visual design is horribly inconsistent with the other series, characters are terrible, plots are terrible. CBS locking it (and Picard) behind a paywall in the US also leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.
Haven't watched Picard yet, not sure if I ever will to be honest, as I have trouble believing that the same CBS that made Discovery actually was able to make a worthy successor to TNG era Trek. The writers on The Orville seem to understand TNG era Trek fans better than CBS and their writers do.
Very good review, and sums up some of my thoughts, thanks although I agree and disagree on some of the points.
1. Voyager: I didn't like the first season much, found it a bit boring but it started to grow on me. I am still watching it, currently on season 5. Not my favorite though.
2. DS9, Seen it all. I liked it quite a lot, but not quite as much as the TNG.
3. TNG, Seen all the series and the movies, and not surprisingly, my favorite, perhaps maybe because it is the first series that I had seen. I agree it is a bit overrated but the entire Star Trek series is overrated.
4. Enterprise. Seen it all and definitely my second favorite series after TNG, and never understood the hate towards it. Extremely underrated.
5. TOS. Seen some episodes and all 6 movies. Disliked the series but liked the movies.
6. Discovery. Just saw the first episode and a bit of the second, but found it utterly DISGUSTING, beyond awful.
7. Picard. The first couple of episodes were nice but quickly got very boring.