By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
flashfire926 said:

But except it doesnt work like that. 

Lets take a look at this made up scenario. Witcher 3 had 90% of its lifetime sales in 2015, with the remaining 10% in 2016.

Lets say the split was 75% ps4 and 25% pc in 2015, while in 2016 was 10% ps4 and 90% pc. The way you would calculate it,  PC would have 57.5% of sales, and PS4 would have 42.5%. 

But that would be wrong. In reality, PS4 would have 68.5% of sales, and PC would have 31.5%. Since the gap in 2015 in terms of units sold was way in favor of PS4, and the 2016 gap between PC and PS4 is much smaller in terms of units sold, because it had very little sales in 2016 when compared to 2015. When the amounts for each year are different, just adding up the percentages and dividing doesnt work because the amounts each year arent equal.

In this scenario, percentage doesnt tell the whole story, since the gap in units sold between ps4 and pc is much smaller in 2016, even though the percentages are heavily in favor of PC, because 2016 only counted for a small fraction.

Did you miss the part in my comment where I literally already said this? 

"Averaging DOES work for the yearly ratio of sales, it just doesn't work for how many sales there are."

What do you think I meant by that honey? I already said it so that you wouldn't have to write a long reply restating what I've already said. 

What would be the point to even mention such useless statistics, anyway? It's like those people who took the number of counties in the US elections to give Romney or McCain some sort of victory by numbers over Obama.

Anyway, you probably didn't even realize at first that you screwed up your math, admit it, you were just trying to save face on the second post.

Same with the jolly fellow, by the way, who somehow read it as a victory for digital sales, when the graphs themselves made it very obvious that the first year was much bigger than the others.