Smeags on 05 January 2013
Here's some other interesting things I've noticed:
- Assassin's Creed II: This game came out of nowhere. I mean, I've always heard great things about the game, but I never imagined it was so beloved. The game was consistently posted in top 50 lists to where it made it all the way to #28. Very impressive for a game that was completely off my radar (and I've been doing this for three years now, so I had a pretty good idea of what games make the top 50).
- Where's the Blizzard Love?: Other than WarCraft III (which deservedly earned its 44th spot), every other Blizzard game was down YoY. StarCraft, one of the most beloved and influential games... not in the top 50? Diablo II, a beloved classic... not in the top 100? WarCraft II not even in the top 250? Where's the Blizzard love guys?
- Close Calls between Franchise Brothers: Mario Kart: Double-Dash!! beat Mario Kart Wii by two points. That's insanely close. Final Fantasy IX beat out Final Fantasy IV by only three points. Looks like we got ourselves a rivalry going on here!
- Classic PS franchises: While the Final Fantasies and other PS JRPGs did well as usual, the other classic PlayStation franchises couldn't keep up in this marathon. I thought guys like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Lara Croft, Sweet Tooth, Jak & Daxter, Ico, and Ratchet & Clank would have performed better. PlayStation fans still love Nathan Drake though... and Cole from inFamous is becoming a beloved star. I won't deny that this mixed with the lukewarm sales of Battle Royale have me thinking: Why isn't PlayStation's great gaming history more revered by PS fans?
- It's about time: Sonic & Knuckles continues to climb the charts year after year. The game resides at the uper echelon of 2D Platforming, and gamrConnect is realizing this more and more each year. I'm proud of you guys.