on 28 February 2012
I'll predict the National League Central standings:
1) Cincinnati- They have good pitching and Joey Votto is a heck of a player.
2) St. Louis- They lost one of the best players in baseball and quite possibly the best manager in baseball. They'll still contend, but that's quite a blow.
3) Milwaukee- Fielder is gone. The Aramis Ramirez pick up will help a little, but he normally doesn't start hitting until the 2nd half. They will put on a fierce push in the 2nd half and come up short.
4) Pittsburgh- Yeah, they've improved, but the end of last year proved that they are still the Pirates.
5) Chicago- The Cubs got even weaker this off season as I said above. There's no hope for the team this year.
6) Houston- The worst team in baseball. 'Nuff said.
The Cardinals get back Wainwright though. That will be a huge boost to the pitching staff.
The Cardinals had the best offense in the NL last year even though Pujols had a down year (for him). Plugging in Beltran is a good replacement as long as he stays healthy. I think they will be right there in the thick of things again this year.
Wainright will definitely be a plus but Wainright doesn't equal Pujuols and LaRussa IMO. Also, Beltran is often hurt as you said. I think that they will contend, but come up a tad bit short. I could be wrong since I often am.
Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD
Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."
"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units." High Voltage CEO - Eric Nofsinger