Quantcast
$99 for an X-Box 360.... Smart move? Or an act of desperation?

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - $99 for an X-Box 360.... Smart move? Or an act of desperation?

nightsurge said:

You don't have any proof at all of that.  You purposely worded it to make it seem like MS was losing money overall.  FUD.

Maybe I did, accidentally. I meant that MS is losing money on the arcade, take it or leave it.

 

But most likely gaining more than $100 worth of profits over time from that sale and customers.

So buying a product from walmart on a black friday month-long sale will cause more customers to come back and buy other products during the rest of the year? More likely, they will just start shopping at walmart on black fridays.

 

That's because they were still $400.  When its on a $199 product it has a much bigger impact as is evident by all Walmarts being instantly sold out.

No, it's because the ps3s were a severely limited quantity. The ps3s were also sold out instantly, if you don't remember.

 

They are getting shoppers in their stores to buy products along with this 360 deal.  If you buy an Arcade for this deal, you'll likely use the giftcard on other products they sell, and keep buying stuff like software, accessories, HDTVs and stuff from Walmart in the future because of this deal.

Whether a black friday sale=continuous purchase is up for debate. Personally I shop at Walmart, and BestBuy on BF, and not at all during the rest of the year. Why should a cost-smart consumer continue to buy full price items when they could then go to gamestop/amazon/others for much cheaper price?


I do have proof of this.  I have 2 of these consoles in my possession.  They have the brand new packaging, HDMI slot, newest power supply, a Manufacturing date of 7/09/2009, a power rating of 12.1A.  And by your own comment, perhaps this was put in place to boost Modern Warfare 2 sales on 360 in the US which it very likely will.

I wasn't saying you don't have proof that they are new. I was saying that you don't have proof that there is no MS deal involved. With a big game in, this is basically giving away a free hugely popular game and something else. It has happened every time. This is strong evidence that the deals are funded by the console companies.

Have any proof that all these products have been discontinued over a year ago?  That laptop, TV, etc were all stopped in production as of a year ago?  Not likely.  Am awaiting your proof of all those deals being nothing but last minute clearances.

Look them up. The tvs were on BF sale last year and two of those serial numbers aren't real. Which is what happens when companies provide refurb products under a new model #.

That was an $80 price cut that launched the 360 to overtake the entire PS3 1.2 million lead for that year and go on to outsell it overall for the year by 800k.  An effective outselling the PS3 by 2 million in 3 months.  That price drop kept the 360 above the PS3 for an entire year in sales and took the lead up to its highest point ever.  I'm so glad you failed so miserably with that link right there!

I'm sorry, I was originally speaking of the 100$ price drop on the elite this past september. Plus, the price drop did not make it outsell the ps3. Christmas did. 360 outsold it the christmas before as well. PS3 has just been far too expensive to be a christmas gift. Additionally price drops are not meant to sell more units, they are meant to maintain sales, which they did over the year before.

Yeah, except the PS2 is still $99, not $79.  And there is only 2 models of the 360 now.  The sales associates can explain to them very easily the difference between the two.  I guess you didn't understand that I was talking about customer who go in without already made their decision on which to buy, or those who have played the console their friends own and want it, which statistically would be more often the 360.

You are right, ps2 is 99$. But you have to understand that I'm not saying that my scenarios is what will happen, it's just a possibility. You seem to have this mentality that I'm being belligerent, but I'm not. I'm just trying to provide a little more complete view on the argument. I agree when you say that the decision is made beforehand, but this allows for a lot of things. Research and the like. Inevitably people who come in will also buy other consoles as well because there is a minimum 10 limit on the availability. They will run out, and then when someone comes in, they may purchase something with a similar price range, spend more on an elite, get a wii, ds... the list goes on.

Oh I am well aware of this personal little battle between Sony and MS, more aware than you it seems.  That's how it is incredibly obvious that the PS3 and Sony is still losing.  They are losing more money on the PS3 while MS is gaining money on the 360.  Sony is losing major marketshare in the living room domination scene while MS is gaining.  This is glaringly obvious when looking at how badly Sony has fallen compared to last gen and how much MS has improved over last gen. Yes the PS3 has seen more sales than the 360 for the last 2 months (YIPPEE END OF THE GEN SONY WINS!!!!111one! /sarcasm), but as you will begin to see starting with the next weeks numbers, the 360 will start to close the gap and the holidays will be about even because the Arcade is the dominant selling HD console when price is the biggest factor.

Like I said, I already know more about this entire situation than you.  You just spouted off everything I already knew, sooo... thanks for wasting everyone's time by doing this rather than actually answering my arguments.... 

 

 

 

 

Well you wrote something completely different than what I wrote, although my question was "why did xbox enter the VG industry". You mentioned "livingroom" and "profit". This is not their war. MS doesn't care about the livingroom. They don't care about profits on the 360. You ask why I didn't answer your arguments. Because none of those matter, but apparently, correcting you was "wasting your time". I will answer this one though

"but as you will begin to see starting with the next weeks numbers, the 360 will start to close the gap and the holidays will be about even because the Arcade is the dominant selling HD console when price is the biggest factor."

This is one of the only times where I will completely disagree and say no. PS3 will outsell 360 this year.

PC sales are not down all over the board, and neither is their operating system. 

PC sales are down. Operating system is up though because of W7. But I must clarify myself. PC, had it not been for the popularity of consoles, would have much higher sales comparatively.

 

 

 

The PS3 is still losing, I'm sorry.  Sony may keep making strides to replace PC's with a game console, but they'd have to sacrifice their own revenue (Sony PCs, Laptops, HDTV/PC hybrids) so that'd be a real idiotic move.  Also, MS at the same time would keep beating Sony at their own game.  If people switch to a console to replace their PC, it will be an MS console so MS still wins again

That is MS' strategy, yes. And they've lost many billions doing so. Either way, they have both lost money this gen. What you don't understand is that this isn't a zero-sum game. Winning doesn't hinge on the other losing. Both can be succesful, but the war they are fighting is about how potentially successful they COULD BE. MS will not be as successful as they COULD BE, unless they prevent Sony from providing an alternative to PCs. Of course, by having their own console, they are providing an obstacle to Sony AND giving themselves a revenue stream at the same time. This would be a great strategy if they are eventually able to recuperate the 6-10B$ they've lost thus far. As of now, their business is less successful than it COULD BE.

 

But alas, people are not replacing PC's with consoles just yet.  Especially now that most people want laptops and netbooks for portability.  Maybe next gen we might see this, but not yet, sorry pal

Look at the DS. Facebook and photo editing software, PSP and apple IPods. Each are becoming smaller, cheaper PCs. That is the trend. None of them use MS OS. MS goal is to stop that trend, so yes, they are losing the war.

 

 

In closing I would really encourage you to drop the attitude, it's hard enough having be polite for the two of us when I have to listen to your aggressiveness.

 

 

 



Around the Network
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
madskillz said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
nightsurge said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
nightsurge said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
If they wanted so much marketshare,and so many sales like youre saying,why didnt they put the launch price 300$ and gameover?Why drop the price 100$ a year because the production cost got lower,when they could have done that?

Because they would have lost so much per console they'd have literally gone bankrupt at that point.  They would have lost like $800 per console...  It would have definitely been game over, though... for Sony

They are still losing money per console sold.  Accept this as it is a fact.  I'm sorry, bud.

You think they are stupid?

Yes, they have been very stupid and arrogant this generation.

They introduced Blu-Ray,which is the future of gaming,but they introduced it at a risk,calling them stupid without knowing their true intention is rather silly.They won the BluRay-HD DVD war,and now they are starting making profit from the Ps 3 aswell.

Everything u will say will only be biased.

Link for this or it didn't happen.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1040692p1.html

I don't think Engrish is your first language. If it is, you have failed.

Did you read the article you posted? It clearly states - Sony is HOPING to make a profit.

You know, I want to be a billionaire, and one day, I will. So, with that said, I am hoping to be a billionaire. I guess I am starting to be a billionaire, one dollar at a time.

BTW, for the folks too lazy to hit the link, here's the hed:

Sony Eyes PS3 Profitability

System may stop losing money next year.
I just have one thing to say:
U have been ...



I have never seen an obvious PS3 flamebait thread such as this ever get locked on this website. Wouldn't it be easier to change the name here to PS3Chartz or PS3Tracking or something along those lines. The majority of the community are absolute PS3 fanatics, and by allowing a thread like this to go 13 pages is tacit agreement or at least permission by the mods to allow flaming of a system. Now I come here to occasionally read these threads and feel good about myself, this is a VERY negative environment. And people such as Steroid should admit, at least to themselves, that they have way too much personal stock in a plastic toy. I'm going to convince Google to put this website as the top reference when someone types in "PS3 fansite" and hits "Feeling Lucky".

madskillz said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
madskillz said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
nightsurge said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
nightsurge said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
If they wanted so much marketshare,and so many sales like youre saying,why didnt they put the launch price 300$ and gameover?Why drop the price 100$ a year because the production cost got lower,when they could have done that?

Because they would have lost so much per console they'd have literally gone bankrupt at that point.  They would have lost like $800 per console...  It would have definitely been game over, though... for Sony

They are still losing money per console sold.  Accept this as it is a fact.  I'm sorry, bud.

You think they are stupid?

Yes, they have been very stupid and arrogant this generation.

They introduced Blu-Ray,which is the future of gaming,but they introduced it at a risk,calling them stupid without knowing their true intention is rather silly.They won the BluRay-HD DVD war,and now they are starting making profit from the Ps 3 aswell.

Everything u will say will only be biased.

Link for this or it didn't happen.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1040692p1.html

I don't think Engrish is your first language. If it is, you have failed.

Did you read the article you posted? It clearly states - Sony is HOPING to make a profit.

You know, I want to be a billionaire, and one day, I will. So, with that said, I am hoping to be a billionaire. I guess I am starting to be a billionaire, one dollar at a time.

BTW, for the folks too lazy to hit the link, here's the hed:

Sony Eyes PS3 Profitability

System may stop losing money next year.
I just have one thing to say:
U have been ...

Its about the numbers in the article,about how the losses are going lower and lower,thats what i meant,next time you should read the full article carefully and think about it m8.

Posting pics like that is not pretty smart aswell



ChrisIsNotSexy said:
damndl0ser said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
nightsurge said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
If they wanted so much marketshare,and so many sales like youre saying,why didnt they put the launch price 300$ and gameover?Why drop the price 100$ a year because the production cost got lower,when they could have done that?

Because they would have lost so much per console they'd have literally gone bankrupt at that point.  They would have lost like $800 per console...  It would have definitely been game over, though... for Sony

They are still losing money per console sold.  Accept this as it is a fact.  I'm sorry, bud.

Exactly.They knew they will loose money,they knew the ps 3 wont sell amazingly-like.

They wouldnt have went bankrupt after 130 million Ps2s sold,50 million PSPs sold.

Its clear that Sony only wanted to prepare for the future with Blu ray and the Cell Processor.

If they wanted to win this generation,they wouldnt have put Blu-ray and have a lower price,with no loss.

You think they are stupid?They dominated 2 generations in a row

Seriously dude, your going to lose this one.   Your trying to twist your original words.

 

Do I think Sony is stupid?  Apparently so, they went from a gigantic profit on the PS2 to a gigantic loss in the PS3 wiping out all of the previous ps2 profits and more.  So ya they aren't that bright.

Wiping out all the previous Ps 2 profits?Do you have a source or something?Another biased statement,you guys can talk all night,but you cant give anything real can you? PS2 and PSP were there to clear of the PS3 ''gigantic'' loss alot,Blu-Ray was also there,and also software sales.

They beat Microsoft in Japan,and Europe,atm is currently selling more in the NA too.

Its not a gigantic loss as you think,thats just how your little brain sees it.Yeah they lost alot of money,but that was to introduce the Blu Ray into gaming.

Go check the financial statements from just before the PS3 released till now.  You will see that it did indeed lose more than the PS2 made.



"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

 

 

 

Around the Network
This is a dumb post. People can come up with 'what if' about anything

What if Microsoft would buy Square Enix

What if Microsoft would buy Capcom

What if Nintendo Wii was only $50


Crashdown77 said:
I have never seen an obvious PS3 flamebait thread such as this ever get locked on this website. Wouldn't it be easier to change the name here to PS3Chartz or PS3Tracking or something along those lines. The majority of the community are absolute PS3 fanatics, and by allowing a thread like this to go 13 pages is tacit agreement or at least permission by the mods to allow flaming of a system. Now I come here to occasionally read these threads and feel good about myself, this is a VERY negative environment. And people such as Steroid should admit, at least to themselves, that they have way too much personal stock in a plastic toy. I'm going to convince Google to put this website as the top reference when someone types in "PS3 fansite" and hits "Feeling Lucky".

I went to church today and shouted this a few times.

AMEN.


You'll likely get banned or this thread locked, but you speak the truth. Makes me wonder if folks:

A. Lie about the games they own to try so they can troll on the 360

B. Troll so hard and are more than likely socially awkward and don't have an offline life

or C. who prefer other systems leave the site, willingly or unwillingly.

I have considered leaving a few times, but the ignore _________ (insert fanboyz' name here) has made things very tolerable.

It's sad that more than a few here have posted their opinion, and all that comes from it is someone banning folks for calling a PC/360 game exclusive.

ROTFLMBO.

 



theprof00 said:

nightsurge said:

You don't have any proof at all of that.  You purposely worded it to make it seem like MS was losing money overall.  FUD.

Maybe I did, accidentally. I meant that MS is losing money on the arcade, take it or leave it.

 

But most likely gaining more than $100 worth of profits over time from that sale and customers.

So buying a product from walmart on a black friday month-long sale will cause more customers to come back and buy other products during the rest of the year? More likely, they will just start shopping at walmart on black fridays.

 

That's because they were still $400.  When its on a $199 product it has a much bigger impact as is evident by all Walmarts being instantly sold out.

No, it's because the ps3s were a severely limited quantity. The ps3s were also sold out instantly, if you don't remember.

 

They are getting shoppers in their stores to buy products along with this 360 deal.  If you buy an Arcade for this deal, you'll likely use the giftcard on other products they sell, and keep buying stuff like software, accessories, HDTVs and stuff from Walmart in the future because of this deal.

Whether a black friday sale=continuous purchase is up for debate. Personally I shop at Walmart, and BestBuy on BF, and not at all during the rest of the year. Why should a cost-smart consumer continue to buy full price items when they could then go to gamestop/amazon/others for much cheaper price?


I do have proof of this.  I have 2 of these consoles in my possession.  They have the brand new packaging, HDMI slot, newest power supply, a Manufacturing date of 7/09/2009, a power rating of 12.1A.  And by your own comment, perhaps this was put in place to boost Modern Warfare 2 sales on 360 in the US which it very likely will.

I wasn't saying you don't have proof that they are new. I was saying that you don't have proof that there is no MS deal involved. With a big game in, this is basically giving away a free hugely popular game and something else. It has happened every time. This is strong evidence that the deals are funded by the console companies.

Have any proof that all these products have been discontinued over a year ago?  That laptop, TV, etc were all stopped in production as of a year ago?  Not likely.  Am awaiting your proof of all those deals being nothing but last minute clearances.

Look them up. The tvs were on BF sale last year and two of those serial numbers aren't real. Which is what happens when companies provide refurb products under a new model #.

That was an $80 price cut that launched the 360 to overtake the entire PS3 1.2 million lead for that year and go on to outsell it overall for the year by 800k.  An effective outselling the PS3 by 2 million in 3 months.  That price drop kept the 360 above the PS3 for an entire year in sales and took the lead up to its highest point ever.  I'm so glad you failed so miserably with that link right there!

I'm sorry, I was originally speaking of the 100$ price drop on the elite this past september. Plus, the price drop did not make it outsell the ps3. Christmas did. 360 outsold it the christmas before as well. PS3 has just been far too expensive to be a christmas gift. Additionally price drops are not meant to sell more units, they are meant to maintain sales, which they did over the year before.

Yeah, except the PS2 is still $99, not $79.  And there is only 2 models of the 360 now.  The sales associates can explain to them very easily the difference between the two.  I guess you didn't understand that I was talking about customer who go in without already made their decision on which to buy, or those who have played the console their friends own and want it, which statistically would be more often the 360.

You are right, ps2 is 99$. But you have to understand that I'm not saying that my scenarios is what will happen, it's just a possibility. You seem to have this mentality that I'm being belligerent, but I'm not. I'm just trying to provide a little more complete view on the argument. I agree when you say that the decision is made beforehand, but this allows for a lot of things. Research and the like. Inevitably people who come in will also buy other consoles as well because there is a minimum 10 limit on the availability. They will run out, and then when someone comes in, they may purchase something with a similar price range, spend more on an elite, get a wii, ds... the list goes on.

Oh I am well aware of this personal little battle between Sony and MS, more aware than you it seems.  That's how it is incredibly obvious that the PS3 and Sony is still losing.  They are losing more money on the PS3 while MS is gaining money on the 360.  Sony is losing major marketshare in the living room domination scene while MS is gaining.  This is glaringly obvious when looking at how badly Sony has fallen compared to last gen and how much MS has improved over last gen. Yes the PS3 has seen more sales than the 360 for the last 2 months (YIPPEE END OF THE GEN SONY WINS!!!!111one! /sarcasm), but as you will begin to see starting with the next weeks numbers, the 360 will start to close the gap and the holidays will be about even because the Arcade is the dominant selling HD console when price is the biggest factor.

Like I said, I already know more about this entire situation than you.  You just spouted off everything I already knew, sooo... thanks for wasting everyone's time by doing this rather than actually answering my arguments.... 

 

 

 

 

Well you wrote something completely different than what I wrote, although my question was "why did xbox enter the VG industry". You mentioned "livingroom" and "profit". This is not their war. MS doesn't care about the livingroom. They don't care about profits on the 360. You ask why I didn't answer your arguments. Because none of those matter, but apparently, correcting you was "wasting your time". I will answer this one though

"but as you will begin to see starting with the next weeks numbers, the 360 will start to close the gap and the holidays will be about even because the Arcade is the dominant selling HD console when price is the biggest factor."

This is one of the only times where I will completely disagree and say no. PS3 will outsell 360 this year.

PC sales are not down all over the board, and neither is their operating system. 

PC sales are down. Operating system is up though because of W7. But I must clarify myself. PC, had it not been for the popularity of consoles, would have much higher sales comparatively.

 

 

 

The PS3 is still losing, I'm sorry.  Sony may keep making strides to replace PC's with a game console, but they'd have to sacrifice their own revenue (Sony PCs, Laptops, HDTV/PC hybrids) so that'd be a real idiotic move.  Also, MS at the same time would keep beating Sony at their own game.  If people switch to a console to replace their PC, it will be an MS console so MS still wins again

That is MS' strategy, yes. And they've lost many billions doing so. Either way, they have both lost money this gen. What you don't understand is that this isn't a zero-sum game. Winning doesn't hinge on the other losing. Both can be succesful, but the war they are fighting is about how potentially successful they COULD BE. MS will not be as successful as they COULD BE, unless they prevent Sony from providing an alternative to PCs. Of course, by having their own console, they are providing an obstacle to Sony AND giving themselves a revenue stream at the same time. This would be a great strategy if they are eventually able to recuperate the 6-10B$ they've lost thus far. As of now, their business is less successful than it COULD BE.

 

But alas, people are not replacing PC's with consoles just yet.  Especially now that most people want laptops and netbooks for portability.  Maybe next gen we might see this, but not yet, sorry pal

Look at the DS. Facebook and photo editing software, PSP and apple IPods. Each are becoming smaller, cheaper PCs. That is the trend. None of them use MS OS. MS goal is to stop that trend, so yes, they are losing the war.

 

 

In closing I would really encourage you to drop the attitude, it's hard enough having be polite for the two of us when I have to listen to your aggressiveness.

 

 

 

And this is why I just wanted to leave it as it was.  I'm tired of trying to prove everything to all these fanboys on here when they never ever accept it.  They just keep changing what they meant or whatever.  I'm leaving this flamebait thread because that is all it ever was.  It's brought out all the flawed reasoning of every fanboy on this site.  And I'm not calling you a fanboy, just so you know.  Maybe you genuinely believe what you are writing, but it still is not correct.

This site is becoming less and less enjoyable..... the mods for one, need to realy crack down on things.  Laterz, guyz.



damndl0ser said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
damndl0ser said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
nightsurge said:
ChrisIsNotSexy said:
If they wanted so much marketshare,and so many sales like youre saying,why didnt they put the launch price 300$ and gameover?Why drop the price 100$ a year because the production cost got lower,when they could have done that?

Because they would have lost so much per console they'd have literally gone bankrupt at that point.  They would have lost like $800 per console...  It would have definitely been game over, though... for Sony

They are still losing money per console sold.  Accept this as it is a fact.  I'm sorry, bud.

Exactly.They knew they will loose money,they knew the ps 3 wont sell amazingly-like.

They wouldnt have went bankrupt after 130 million Ps2s sold,50 million PSPs sold.

Its clear that Sony only wanted to prepare for the future with Blu ray and the Cell Processor.

If they wanted to win this generation,they wouldnt have put Blu-ray and have a lower price,with no loss.

You think they are stupid?They dominated 2 generations in a row

Seriously dude, your going to lose this one.   Your trying to twist your original words.

 

Do I think Sony is stupid?  Apparently so, they went from a gigantic profit on the PS2 to a gigantic loss in the PS3 wiping out all of the previous ps2 profits and more.  So ya they aren't that bright.

Wiping out all the previous Ps 2 profits?Do you have a source or something?Another biased statement,you guys can talk all night,but you cant give anything real can you? PS2 and PSP were there to clear of the PS3 ''gigantic'' loss alot,Blu-Ray was also there,and also software sales.

They beat Microsoft in Japan,and Europe,atm is currently selling more in the NA too.

Its not a gigantic loss as you think,thats just how your little brain sees it.Yeah they lost alot of money,but that was to introduce the Blu Ray into gaming.

Go check the financial statements from just before the PS3 released till now.  You will see that it did indeed lose more than the PS2 made.

I know how much they lost,but i want a link that shows they lost more money than they gained from the PS2 overall.



Whats the point. MS hasn't earned a single penny from X-box yet their fans love to brag about profits.