Quantcast
The Official December NPD 2008 Thread

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official December NPD 2008 Thread

alpha_dk said:
TWRoO said:
DMeisterJ said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
TheSource said:

I'm very suspicious of the Wii number given that December had five weeks and that November had four.

2.04m/4 weeks in Nov = 510k/week

2.15m/5 weeks in Dec = 430k/week

 

Does anyone really believe Nintendo would ship more in November weeks than in December weeks? If they just sent a massive allocation for November and hoped it would hold and sent a comparable allocation for December its a pretty terrible tactical decision.

November software:

 1. Gears of War 2 (Microsoft, Xbox 360) - 1.56 million
2. Call of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360) - 1.41 million
3. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) - 796,000
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 697,000
5. Mario Kart (Nintendo, Wii) - 637,00
6. Call of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard, PS3) - 597,000 
7. Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision Blizzard, Wii) - 475,000 
8. Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360) - 410,000
9. Resistance 2 (Sony, PlayStation 3) - 385,000
10. Wii Music (Nintendo, Wii) - 297,000

 

 

December software:

1. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii – Nintendo – 1.46 million
2. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 – Activision – 1.33 million*
3. Wii Fit w/ balance board – Wii – Nintendo – 999K
4. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel – Wii – Nintendo – 979K
5. Guitar Hero: World Tour - Wii – Activision – 850K*
6. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 – Microsoft – 745K*
7. Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts – 629K
8. Mario Kart - DS – Nintendo – 540K
9. Call of Duty: World at War - PS3 – Activision – 533K
10. Animal Crossing: City Folk - Wii – Nintendo – 497K*

 

Total for each

November: 7264K

December: 8562K

 

Pr week that is

November: 1816K

December: 1712K

 

So the top 10 software was actually lower in December than in November? Seems a bit fishy to me.

5 weeks versus 4 weeks, and lack of Black friday doesn't seem too fishy at all.

 

How long have you been here DMJ....December is the 5 week month. but that doesn't matter, he accounted for that by figuring out the weekly.

The other thing that is fishy by the way, is the huge rise in Wii Play sales, because Wii Play generally follows the hardware sales because new Wii owners buy it to get an extra controller.... so wtf is Wii Play doing almost doubling it's sales from Nov-Dec when the Wii barely rose.

If there was a supply issue with the Wii, fewer people would have bought Wii Play.

 

Last year, Wii Nov sales were approximately Wii December sales, and Wii Play Nov. sales were about half Wii Play Dec. sales.  As much as I hate to admit it, this does have historical precidence.  (Americas only used for the comparison)

What I can't remember is whether either month were 5-week months last year.  Is it the same every year? So was December 2007 a 5-week month?

Yes, the weeks are always the same.

Last year Wii was 981k in Nov, and 1,350k in Dec..... that's about a 45% increase... I don't have figures for Wii play from NPD.... but by VGC it doesn't quite double.

So last year, Wii went up 45% in December (from November)  and Wii Play up about 85%.

This year Wii went up 5% and Wii Play went up 83%

 



Around the Network
Brett said:
No adjustments this month guys, I'm happy with all of our figures. I believe the disparity in Wii sales is more of a cumulative thing over the year and maybe adjustments being made to ensure that year end totals line up.

Hey that's cool.



Rab said:
Wii
December 2007: 1.35 million
December 2008: 2.15 million
+59%

360
December 2007: 1.26 million
December 2008: 1.44 million

+14%

PS3
December 2007: 797,600
December 2008: 726,000
-9%

@BengaBenga and other...ignorants replying to my previous post. Look at the numbers in red above...See them?

See the increase on 360 sales? does that look great to you when you're selling your system for as low as $199.99 on you THIRD YEAR (hint *sales peaking) ? LMAO to all of you. The PS3 kept the same exact price and it sold just as much. Hint: The key here is T-H-I-R-D  Y-E-A-R. and U-S-$ 2-0-0 P-R-I-C-E  P-O-I-N-T

Didn't you learn to swallow? aww, here's come the planeeeee.....now open WIDE.

 



Magnific0 said:
Rab said:
Wii
December 2007: 1.35 million
December 2008: 2.15 million
+59%

360
December 2007: 1.26 million
December 2008: 1.44 million

+14%

PS3
December 2007: 797,600
December 2008: 726,000
-9%

@BengaBenga and other...ignorants replying to my previous post. Look at the numbers in red above...See them?

See the increase on 360 sales? does that look great to you when you're selling your system for as low as $199.99 on you THIRD YEAR (hint *sales peaking) ? LMAO to all of you. The PS3 kept the same exact price and it sold just as much. Hint: The key here is T-H-I-R-D  Y-E-A-R. and U-S-$ 2-0-0 P-R-I-C-E  P-O-I-N-T

Didn't you learn to swallow? aww, here's come the planeeeee.....now open WIDE.

Doesn't matter though.

360 sells software like it's no one's business.  That more than makes up for the lower price point this year.



TWRoO said:
alpha_dk said:
TWRoO said:
DMeisterJ said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
TheSource said:

I'm very suspicious of the Wii number given that December had five weeks and that November had four.

2.04m/4 weeks in Nov = 510k/week

2.15m/5 weeks in Dec = 430k/week

 

Does anyone really believe Nintendo would ship more in November weeks than in December weeks? If they just sent a massive allocation for November and hoped it would hold and sent a comparable allocation for December its a pretty terrible tactical decision.

November software:

 1. Gears of War 2 (Microsoft, Xbox 360) - 1.56 million
2. Call of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360) - 1.41 million
3. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) - 796,000
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 697,000
5. Mario Kart (Nintendo, Wii) - 637,00
6. Call of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard, PS3) - 597,000 
7. Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision Blizzard, Wii) - 475,000 
8. Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360) - 410,000
9. Resistance 2 (Sony, PlayStation 3) - 385,000
10. Wii Music (Nintendo, Wii) - 297,000

 

 

December software:

1. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii – Nintendo – 1.46 million
2. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 – Activision – 1.33 million*
3. Wii Fit w/ balance board – Wii – Nintendo – 999K
4. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel – Wii – Nintendo – 979K
5. Guitar Hero: World Tour - Wii – Activision – 850K*
6. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 – Microsoft – 745K*
7. Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts – 629K
8. Mario Kart - DS – Nintendo – 540K
9. Call of Duty: World at War - PS3 – Activision – 533K
10. Animal Crossing: City Folk - Wii – Nintendo – 497K*

 

Total for each

November: 7264K

December: 8562K

 

Pr week that is

November: 1816K

December: 1712K

 

So the top 10 software was actually lower in December than in November? Seems a bit fishy to me.

5 weeks versus 4 weeks, and lack of Black friday doesn't seem too fishy at all.

 

How long have you been here DMJ....December is the 5 week month. but that doesn't matter, he accounted for that by figuring out the weekly.

The other thing that is fishy by the way, is the huge rise in Wii Play sales, because Wii Play generally follows the hardware sales because new Wii owners buy it to get an extra controller.... so wtf is Wii Play doing almost doubling it's sales from Nov-Dec when the Wii barely rose.

If there was a supply issue with the Wii, fewer people would have bought Wii Play.

 

Last year, Wii Nov sales were approximately Wii December sales, and Wii Play Nov. sales were about half Wii Play Dec. sales.  As much as I hate to admit it, this does have historical precidence.  (Americas only used for the comparison)

What I can't remember is whether either month were 5-week months last year.  Is it the same every year? So was December 2007 a 5-week month?

Yes, the weeks are always the same.

Last year Wii was 981k in Nov, and 1,350k in Dec..... that's about a 45% increase... I don't have figures for Wii play from NPD.... but by VGC it doesn't quite double.

So last year, Wii went up 45% in December (from November)  and Wii Play up about 85%.

This year Wii went up 5% and Wii Play went up 83%

 

For November I see 1,378: http://vgchartz.com/amonthly.php?month=11&year=2007&console=&maker=&boxartz=1

 



Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

I hate to keep repeating the same theme, but everyone was saying how the music games were dead. Yet we have this:

Though analysts have suggested rhythm games like Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour have passed their prime fad period, Frazier points out that "both properties realized their best month yet in dollar sales, and combined represent 16% of total software dollar sales this month."

I wonder if EA will allow the next Wii RB to be on the back burner again.



@benga benga & other insulting magnific

his last post does make a significant point imho



All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

TheSource said:

I'm very suspicious of the Wii number given that December had five weeks and that November had four.

2.04m/4 weeks in Nov = 510k/week

2.15m/5 weeks in Dec = 430k/week

 

Does anyone really believe Nintendo would ship more in November weeks than in December weeks? If they just sent a massive allocation for November and hoped it would hold and sent a comparable allocation for December its a pretty terrible tactical decision.

 

 exactly Source, dont you recall last year, when NDP came in VGC was like 400k high. Then a few week later when fiscals were release it was revealed that VGC was actually too low in the first place. I think what throughs NDP off in December for Wii HW is the fact they dont track 60% of the market, and Walmart and TRU is included in that. I know for a fact my TRU where I live was getting massive Wii shipments. You cannot tell me the Wii averaged less per week in November than it did in December. VGC might be a bit high, like 300k or something, but not 800k.



End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

TWRoO said:
alpha_dk said:
TWRoO said:
DMeisterJ said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
TheSource said:

I'm very suspicious of the Wii number given that December had five weeks and that November had four.

2.04m/4 weeks in Nov = 510k/week

2.15m/5 weeks in Dec = 430k/week

 

Does anyone really believe Nintendo would ship more in November weeks than in December weeks? If they just sent a massive allocation for November and hoped it would hold and sent a comparable allocation for December its a pretty terrible tactical decision.

November software:

 1. Gears of War 2 (Microsoft, Xbox 360) - 1.56 million
2. Call of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360) - 1.41 million
3. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) - 796,000
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 697,000
5. Mario Kart (Nintendo, Wii) - 637,00
6. Call of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard, PS3) - 597,000 
7. Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision Blizzard, Wii) - 475,000 
8. Left 4 Dead (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360) - 410,000
9. Resistance 2 (Sony, PlayStation 3) - 385,000
10. Wii Music (Nintendo, Wii) - 297,000

 

 

December software:

1. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii – Nintendo – 1.46 million
2. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 – Activision – 1.33 million*
3. Wii Fit w/ balance board – Wii – Nintendo – 999K
4. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel – Wii – Nintendo – 979K
5. Guitar Hero: World Tour - Wii – Activision – 850K*
6. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 – Microsoft – 745K*
7. Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts – 629K
8. Mario Kart - DS – Nintendo – 540K
9. Call of Duty: World at War - PS3 – Activision – 533K
10. Animal Crossing: City Folk - Wii – Nintendo – 497K*

 

Total for each

November: 7264K

December: 8562K

 

Pr week that is

November: 1816K

December: 1712K

 

So the top 10 software was actually lower in December than in November? Seems a bit fishy to me.

5 weeks versus 4 weeks, and lack of Black friday doesn't seem too fishy at all.

 

How long have you been here DMJ....December is the 5 week month. but that doesn't matter, he accounted for that by figuring out the weekly.

The other thing that is fishy by the way, is the huge rise in Wii Play sales, because Wii Play generally follows the hardware sales because new Wii owners buy it to get an extra controller.... so wtf is Wii Play doing almost doubling it's sales from Nov-Dec when the Wii barely rose.

If there was a supply issue with the Wii, fewer people would have bought Wii Play.

 

Last year, Wii Nov sales were approximately Wii December sales, and Wii Play Nov. sales were about half Wii Play Dec. sales.  As much as I hate to admit it, this does have historical precidence.  (Americas only used for the comparison)

What I can't remember is whether either month were 5-week months last year.  Is it the same every year? So was December 2007 a 5-week month?

Yes, the weeks are always the same.

Last year Wii was 981k in Nov, and 1,350k in Dec..... that's about a 45% increase... I don't have figures for Wii play from NPD.... but by VGC it doesn't quite double.

So last year, Wii went up 45% in December (from November)  and Wii Play up about 85%.

This year Wii went up 5% and Wii Play went up 83%

 

Google is your friend.

November 07: Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) -- 564KK

December 07: Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) -- 1.08m

That's + 77%

 

 



http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Brett said:

No adjustments this month guys, I'm happy with all of our figures. I believe the disparity in Wii sales is more of a cumulative thing over the year and maybe adjustments being made to ensure that year end totals line up, similar with MK Wii.

Everything else looks to be in good agreement - well within any margins of error that we would expect.

The HERO has spoken!

 

 



Tease.