Quantcast
Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

So…they’ve basically removed all the features that made the Switch the Switch.



Around the Network
Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:


I suspect next year, you ll see offical price cuts, for both models.

I don't think so, maybe a cut for the Standard model, assuming the Standard model isn't just replaced next year.

But at $199 the lite will be selling fast enough next year, they won't need to cut the price.

I think Nintendo should tbh.
Greed for profits on hardware isnt worth the potential loss from software + services.

Nintendo should be chaseing that Wii effect, with the 99$ console price.
Todays 149$ is probably akin to that of the 99$ Wii back then.

Plus handhelds are more price sensetive than home consoles...... If I was nintendo Id go for explosive growth in hardware sales.
199$ is still "pricy" for a handheld, 149$ and market adoption drastically increases.



The princing is good until you learn how much you lose compared to the original version.

- Smaller screen
- No HD rumble
- No TV Docking
+ It has a d-pad which is nice tough

Besides all of this, this version will sell a ton, mainly in Japan. $200 is a sweet spot for console gaming. The true succesor of the 3DS then....

I wonder how NPD and VGC will count the sales of this version because Switch Lite is defitively 100% a handheld console.



Nuvendil said:

But then there's a limit to what people will let go of before they feel like they are getting a cheap product.  The 2DS for example was only a modest success, falling well short of the 3DSXL in sales.

To be fair the 2DS design looked like crap. The Switch lite actually looks nice.



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)

colafitte said:

I wonder how NPD and VGC will count the sales of this version because Switch Lite is defitively 100% a handheld console.

It's still a Switch. The Vita TV sales were combined with the Vita.



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

I didn't expect a handheld-only version so soon in the lifecycle, but the marketing message remains clear, so there's not really a problem with it.

Pricing is aggressive, but I suppose Nintendo didn't want to leave an opening for a very hypothetical new entrant in the handheld market after the 3DS wound down a bit quicker than they anticipated (3DS hardware shipments fell short by more than 1m units in the previous fiscal year).

The announcement two months before launch seems early, but some slower sales during the summer months aren't particularly damaging.

"pricing is aggressive"

Its really not, even at launch with switch selling at 299$, Nintendo was probably selling each unit with like 50$ profit on sale.
Tegra chip and the insides just arnt that expensive, Nintendo have not been selling these units at break even point, or loss pr unit.
They got the chips super cheap from nvidia (there was a artile from semiaccurate, saying nvidia was basically giveing them away).

Switch could have launched at 249$ and still sold at profit (imo), and this Switch lite, could probably do the same at 149$.

I suspect next year, you ll see offical price cuts, for both models.

Pricing is aggressive because it's $100 lower than the standard Switch which is selling very well. Nintendo could have priced the Lite at $250.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

I didn't expect a handheld-only version so soon in the lifecycle, but the marketing message remains clear, so there's not really a problem with it.

Pricing is aggressive, but I suppose Nintendo didn't want to leave an opening for a very hypothetical new entrant in the handheld market after the 3DS wound down a bit quicker than they anticipated (3DS hardware shipments fell short by more than 1m units in the previous fiscal year).

The announcement two months before launch seems early, but some slower sales during the summer months aren't particularly damaging.

"pricing is aggressive"

Its really not, even at launch with switch selling at 299$, Nintendo was probably selling each unit with like 50$ profit on sale.
Tegra chip and the insides just arnt that expensive, Nintendo have not been selling these units at break even point, or loss pr unit.
They got the chips super cheap from nvidia (there was a artile from semiaccurate, saying nvidia was basically giveing them away).

Switch could have launched at 249$ and still sold at profit (imo), and this Switch lite, could probably do the same at 149$.

I suspect next year, you ll see offical price cuts, for both models.

Actually, someone dug into the facts on that and the general consensus at launch was the Switch cost over 270 to make.  Profits per unit were probably 20 at best.  The X1 they got for a good deal relative to what the tech was originally worth, not super cheap.  The Switch wasn't sold at a loss, but over $50 of profit?  No way.



I am sad the actual Switch will still not get a price cut.



JRPGfan said:
Barkley said:

I don't think so, maybe a cut for the Standard model, assuming the Standard model isn't just replaced next year.

But at $199 the lite will be selling fast enough next year, they won't need to cut the price.

I think Nintendo should tbh.
Greed for profits on hardware isnt worth the potential loss from software + services.

Nintendo should be chaseing that Wii effect, with the 99$ console price.
Todays 149$ is probably akin to that of the 99$ Wii back then.

Plus handhelds are more price sensetive than home consoles...... If I was nintendo Id go for explosive growth in hardware sales.
199$ is still "pricy" for a handheld, 149$ and market adoption drastically increases.

You're assuming that if they dropped the price to $149 they could keep up with demand. I'm fulling expecting the Switch to sell at least 20m this year and next.



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)

Barkley said:

5.5", marginally improved battery life.

Thats actually slightly dissapointing.
Screen shrunk more than it looks like it needed too (look at the wasted area around the screen).
Battery life is only +30 minuets more?

What happend? did they even make use of the new chips?
Wheren't they supposed to be useing 16nm chips for these? or will there be a refresh with newer models to both soon?

ei. dont be a early adoptor of this lite model?